Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

XM or AM?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Will require your phone? You mean the phone that you have to use to get into the car (on Model 3) unless you wave the valet NFC card over the B pillar? :p

Yes, my one phone, supplied by my employer, with their data plan for "reasonable" personal use, not subject to overuse of streaming music for prolonged periods, and not interested in carrying two phones. Sirius is a great answer in three of my cars now...no reason not to want it again.

Live sports is the really the only issue since they are only on AM here and steaming is only available if get mlb.com or nba league pass or perhaps tunein premium.

Sports is my concern as well. I even had trouble earlier this year trying to stream college baseball due to restrictions. But if Tesla includes HD Radio, this issue may be somewhat alleviated as most of the major AM stations in my area (Dallas) have an HD-FM counterpart.

Any word on HD-Radio?

Sports is my concern as well. I even had trouble earlier this year trying to stream college baseball due to restrictions. But if Tesla includes HD Radio, this issue may be somewhat alleviated as most of the major AM stations in my area (Dallas) have an HD-FM counterpart.

Any word on HD-Radio?
Details of the base and "premium" audio systems are maddeningly scarce.

Specifically, here's what I would like to know re Premium:
1. Does it play MP3, AAC, and FLAC format files from a USB flash drive, as does the S/X?
2. Does it have HD radio capabilities, as do the S/X?
3. Confirmation that Premium in the M3 does NOT include XM (as both S and X have XM capabilities).
4. Does it have an equalizer? How many bands?
5. Does it have (cough) Dolby Surround, as do the S/x?

To all the XM radio enthusiasts....where the heck are we going to mount a portable XM radio???? The screen is exactly where the XM radio would or should be mounted. If it is mounted to the right of the monitor, the driver can't access it and if it is mounted to the left of the monitor the drive can access it but the front passenger can not. Don't know what the two doors in the center console do but I'm guessing they are out of the question. SO WHERE DO WE MOUNT THE XM RADIO?????

IMG_0378.JPG

Hi all,

I have a high physical and emotional dependency on The Beatles channel, #18 on XM radio. I pity my fellow drivers if someone were take that away from me. Just last week, I listened to very important hurricane recovery news broadcasting on AM radio. Both of these are now enabled on my $6,000 Nissan Leaf.

A 2.315 Ghz antenna for satellite radio is tiny. They put them in very small receivers, just as they do WiFi antennas that operate nearby at 2.4Ghz. Your mobile phone has a 2.4Ghz antenna printed inside. While the ideal location is on the roof of the vehicle, the Model 3 has a barren dashboard where to mount it.

It would be reaching to say that car manufacturers are removing AM receivers because electric motors interfere with the signal. Europe has very strict RF interference compliance tests and a car that emits that level of noise will likely not pass. Tesla, especially, that combines motor and controller into a single (nearly Faraday caged) unit should not have this issue.

Again, my cheap (and electric) Nissan Leaf has clear AM reception. My guess is that they don't like AM receivers because they need the largest of antennas (the lower the frequency, the larger the antenna). That said, they put a large defroster on the back window. It wouldn't look too off to put the antenna there, too.

Regards,
JR

Reactions: rxlawdude
Hi all,

I have a high physical and emotional dependency on The Beatles channel, #18 on XM radio. I pity my fellow drivers if someone were take that away from me. Just last week, I listened to very important hurricane recovery news broadcasting on AM radio. Both of these are now enabled on my $6,000 Nissan Leaf.

A 2.315 Ghz antenna for satellite radio is tiny. They put them in very small receivers, just as they do WiFi antennas that operate nearby at 2.4Ghz. Your mobile phone has a 2.4Ghz antenna printed inside. While the ideal location is on the roof of the vehicle, the Model 3 has a barren dashboard where to mount it.

It would be reaching to say that car manufacturers are removing AM receivers because electric motors interfere with the signal. Europe has very strict RF interference compliance tests and a car that emits that level of noise will likely not pass. Tesla, especially, that combines motor and controller into a single (nearly Faraday caged) unit should not have this issue.

Again, my cheap (and electric) Nissan Leaf has clear AM reception. My guess is that they don't like AM receivers because they need the largest of antennas (the lower the frequency, the larger the antenna). That said, they put a large defroster on the back window. It wouldn't look too off to put the antenna there, too.

Regards,
JR
Available on Slacker with better audio quality than XM