Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

XM or AM?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is no mention of XM or AM. Are either available on the Model 3?

Please correct me if I am having a 'senior moment', but to the best of my recollection, some early, official communication, indicated there would be 3 roof options. A metal roof, which included a moon roof along with XM capability, a glass roof, and lastly a standard metal roof.
Is it possible some of these options are forthcoming? Or have they sacrificed some of these options permanently, in the interest of rapidly ramping up production. Ditto- Air Suspension! The absence of air suspension could very well be a deal breaker for me. (It would depend on the nature of the existing Model 3 suspension).

Scannerman

There is no mention of XM or AM. Are either available on the Model 3?

As far as people know, no satellite radio for the sake of simplification. Tesla's have never had AM radio.

The lack of satellite radio as an option is annoying, especially if you were to take this car cross country driving and are out in the middle of nowhere on the interstate where there are only 2-3 FM stations and country & classic rock isn't your thing. You could always use the internet radio on the car or from your phone, but that's reliant on cell coverage which is a crapshoot in some parts of the interstate system (versus a line of sight to the sky for Sirus/XM).

As far as people know, no satellite radio for the sake of simplification. Tesla's have never had AM radio.

The lack of satellite radio as an option is annoying, especially if you were to take this car cross country driving and are out in the middle of nowhere on the interstate where there are only 2-3 FM stations and country & classic rock isn't your thing. You could always use the internet radio on the car or from your phone, but that's reliant on cell coverage which is a crapshoot in some parts of the interstate system (versus a line of sight to the sky for Sirus/XM).
The MS has AM radio, it's old fashioned.

• Informative
Reactions: MTR852
Tesla's have never had AM radio.

My vintage S does! Although I think the reception is pretty terrible.

IMG_0392.JPG

• Informative
Reactions: MTR852

Meh, I just listen to the gigs of songs stored on my phone. It's not a big deal.

I am not supporting this website, I just stumbled upon while searching for a portable Serius/XM radio I could buy and put on/in my Model 3.

The 7 Best SiriusXM Portable Satellite Radios to Buy in 2017

Pretty sure most of these add-ons use an auxiliary input - I do not know if those exist in teslas ? If there is an input then this is a feasible solution (IMO).
Without that input you have to find an unused FM station to set as the unit's station to use...the reception and persistence of that station are subject to change as you drive around, kinda sucks depending on how active of an area you are in. I know this cuz my '05 S40 doesn't have an input so I'm living this until I get my model 3.

• Disagree
Reactions: GSP
Pretty sure most of these add-ons use an auxiliary input - I do not know if those exist in teslas ? If there is an input then this is a feasible solution (IMO).
Without that input you have to find an unused FM station to set as the unit's station to use...the reception and persistence of that station are subject to change as you drive around, kinda sucks depending on how active of an area you are in. I know this cuz my '05 S40 doesn't have an input so I'm living this until I get my model 3.

A Bluetooth transmitter might be a better solution for the 3.

I understand that AM reception is affected by the induction motor(s). I can't for the life of me figure out why Tesla hasn't considered the XM radio a solution that many of their high tech customers are interested in. I've heard mounting the antenna to their glass roof is hard. Hmm. If only Tesla knew some smart and innovative engineers to solve that problem. I don't think that most Tesla owners see the internet radio as an acceptable replacement for XM, so what is the deal Tesla?

In Model X, I used a battery SONY AM radio with an FM transmitter plugged into the 12 volt socket. Works if the FM frequency is unused in the area.

XM portables also work. The oldest models had very strong FM transmitters. I would prefer to have an auxiliary stereo input jack for Model X and 3 in addition to the Bluetooth for the phone.

Wow...had no idea about the lack of AM radio. That's a huge kick in the sack. I listen to sports talk radio or games pretty much 75% of the time in my car. This is a pretty massive disappointment for me that I can no longer listen to White Sox, Blackhawks, or Notre Dame games in my car, or listen to my daily sports talk radio.

Reactions: ikjadoon
I just tried to install one of those portable Sirius radios on my Model S.... Keep in mind the antenna attaches to the outside of the car via a magnet.... Not sure if the 3 panels are actually aluminum or steel.

Also the FM transmitter route is crap. Static and changes depending on location. The radios have a line out but the Tesla does not have a line in. Bluetooth transmitter might be the only option for reliable clear radio.