Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

XM Possibilities with MCU Upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Beyond adding an antenna, anybody know what else would be needed to add XM service to my new MCU 2.0 with the add on FM/XM Card? I have a hard top late '16 S that might be possible to run a coax up the A pillar to a roof mounted antenna. Spend a fair amount of time in areas without cell service (think WY, NE and SD) so XM is desireable.

My car is in the shop due to 2nd MCU1 screen failure so now I‘ve decided to get the MCU2 with the radio option. I too don’t have the sunroof (which means my car didn’t come with an XM antenna) but I’ve been told by the service center the XM antenna for the new MCU2 and radio is built into the unit and doesn’t require an external XM antenna. Current price is $500 USD. I’d give your local service center a call and see if that is true. Once I have my car back from the shop I can verify if the XM act works with the hard top.

Reactions: KyleDay
I have XM as one of the infotainment options on my new MCU 2.0 with the radio option so I assume XM is enabled. Yet if I select the XM demo channel (Ch 1) I get nothing. I know this channel does not require a valid XM account because this is their demo sales channel. Makes me think there is no sat antenna connected. Mobile service coming to replace dash trim panel that was accidently broken during the upgrade. Hope to pursue what it would take to get it working.

I have XM as one of the infotainment options on my new MCU 2.0 with the radio option so I assume XM is enabled. Yet if I select the XM demo channel (Ch 1) I get nothing. I know this channel does not require a valid XM account because this is their demo sales channel. Makes me think there is no sat antenna connected. Mobile service coming to replace dash trim panel that was accidently broken during the upgrade. Hope to pursue what it would take to get it working.
Any update? My XM preview channel doesn’t work either

The radio update doesn't add an XM antenna to a car that didn't already have one. If the car has the base audio system it doesn't have an XM antenna.

It's possible they didn't hook up the XM antenna on a car that does have the antenna.

The radio update doesn't add an XM antenna to a car that didn't already have one. If the car has the base audio system it doesn't have an XM antenna.

It's possible they didn't hook up the XM antenna on a car that does have the antenna.
I was told they add the antenna to the lift gate arms. I haven’t checked with the service center yet about my “new” antenna