Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

XM Radio Favorites - Tesla broke it - says it's "as designed". Hasn't used a radio in 40 years?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Same - still does not work for me and I am on the latest software version. Tesla really needs to let you pin your favorites and arrange them how you want them and then let you scroll through your favorites. Just a no brainer and can’t be that hard for them to do.

based on how much thought elon put into the blue check subscription on Twitter prior to turning it on, it might actually be that hard for them to do.

Timeline of Events, as supported by Tesla invoices.

1. 05/15/2022 - XM Favorites stop working
2. 06/17/2022 - First invoice - They admit it's a firmware issue "No further action required."
3. 09/12/2022 - Second invoice - Gaslit on how favorites work "The order in which Favorites are toggled is controlled by an algorithm that is based on how recent and how frequent the use."
4. 10/11/2022 - Tesla replaced tuner with no effect, other than costing me $38.00
5. 10/27/2022 - "Checked vehicle operation, operating as designed." (Gaslighting bull$hit).
6. 11/10/2022 - Tesla tells me to go away - "Engineering confirmed customer concern on another Model X equipped with same configuration, firmware, and XM. Concern was duplicated by engineering and is similar to what was described by customer and service advisor from that day. Engineering confirmed this is a known characteristic of the firmware. No further action required and follow up visit for same concern is not required."

It took 6 MONTHS for them to even understand or admit the problem.
Again, I blame myself for not being more forceful. Always document everything. Save everything. You never know when you'll need it.

"known characteristic of the firmware" ((Tesla to English translator))"Doesn't work, and we aren't fixing it, and won't compensate you for the months in which it didn't work, nor the time or stress we've caused".

To the small claims court! This will be a great learning experience.

11/14/2022 - Tesla appointment said they would be here between 8:30 and 12:30. They did a no call no show.

v2022.40.4.1 - Set XM favorites - car "forgot" them at the 20 min mark exactly. Issue still exists. New ticket tomorrow.

based on how much thought elon put into the blue check subscription on Twitter prior to turning it on, it might actually be that hard for them to do.
If that's not a tongue-in-cheek comment, you're drinking a bit too much media kool-aid. They're literally just copying competitors there (for instance, Telegram already had a premium subscription for their service that adds a blue checkmark badge). It's not new or innovative, and it shouldn't be confusing, especially if there's a separate verified badge. That having been said, I've also seen reports that a verified badge was errantly given out; that would be a bit more embarrassing if the reports are correct and it wasn't a blue badge.

My 2023 MXLR downloaded 2022.40.4 last night. Today it seems to scroll through the presets only, but in no logical order. So a bit of an improvement but not perfect IMO. If I could only get my dome lights to work now, really does suck at night. Since mobile service couldn't fix the dome lights last week, I was hoping the software update would so I can cancel my service appointment tomorrow.

Weird - how it is at the 20 min mark. You would think this would just be an easy coding change.
I would agree.

My 2023 MXLR downloaded 2022.40.4 last night. Today it seems to scroll through the presets only, but in no logical order. So a bit of an improvement but not perfect IMO. If I could only get my dome lights to work now, really does suck at night. Since mobile service couldn't fix the dome lights last week, I was hoping the software update would so I can cancel my service appointment tomorrow.

it'll stop working at some point if it hasn't already. I've had 40.4 for a while and it's definitely still broken.

If that's not a tongue-in-cheek comment, you're drinking a bit too much media kool-aid. They're literally just copying competitors there (for instance, Telegram already had a premium subscription for their service that adds a blue checkmark badge). It's not new or innovative, and it shouldn't be confusing, especially if there's a separate verified badge. That having been said, I've also seen reports that a verified badge was errantly given out; that would be a bit more embarrassing if the reports are correct and it wasn't a blue badge.

it was clearly tongue in cheek. Elon's takeover of Twitter has been an unmitigated disaster. literally everything he has done has failed miserably thus far. they turned on the subscription service without any way of verifying / making sure that they didn't have all sorts of impostors on the site. within hours of turning it on, they had people paying for twitter blue, changing their handle to something resembling celebrities or big corporations, and posting things as if they were verified as those entities.

even just yesterday, he bragged that they were turning off microservices that weren't necessary to make twitter run...except one of the microservices they turned off was the one that sent the 2FA SMS code when you log in. this led to people being locked out of their accounts since there was no way for them to receive the 2FA code (since the service that sent it was deactivated without any consideration as to what it would break).

with pretty much everything elon does, it always seems he thinks he is smarter than he actually is. i love my car and i love my powerwalls, but man i wish he would just go away and let other people run the company.

Last edited:
Reactions: domodan
it'll stop working at some point if it hasn't already. I've had 40.4 for a while and it's definitely still broken.
You're right, later that same day it went back to scrolling channel by channel. Currently have the car at the Ft Laud service center to try to get the dome lights working. These are some really stupid problems especially at this price point.

You know, it occurs to me that Tesla has the opportunity to allow consumers to choose how certain things work in the cars. After all, the Tesla is basically a huge computer with wheels and a battery. The way that favorites are handled is completely arbitrary. Why can't they let it be modified in the control section? Why not have a API that interfaces with the car to be able to modify non-driving functions? When I got my MX back in 2019, I could punch in the XM channel that I wanted just like you can do with the FM radio. They took that away almost three years ago. Why? Did they run out of room in the coding table? Did Elon think that it was extraneous? Who decided that if you ask Tesla to play Metallica that the next song after Master of Puppets should be 10,000 Fists in the Air by Disturbed? Sure, I like Disturbed but I wanted to listen to Metallica. WTF?

I love my X but I get so frustrated by some of the silliness. I have NEVER let the car park itself. Too much hassle and too unreliable of a UI. Would love to have it but can't deal with it. I just wish they would listen to their customers and give us what we want. After all, even the much-maligned Windows OS allows you to change font size, background picture and lets you tweak the cursor size. I mean, c'mon, it can't be that difficult.

Who decided that if you ask Tesla to play Metallica that the next song after Master of Puppets should be 10,000 Fists in the Air by Disturbed? Sure, I like Disturbed but I wanted to listen to Metallica. WTF?

this part isn't tesla's fault entirely, it's slacker running their music algorithm after the first song if you ask it to play something (or spotify if you have slacker disabled).

i think spotify will keep playing whatever group you asked for, but the slacker account that comes with a tesla doesn't have "play any song at any time" abilities...so they run their algorithm to decide what to play after the first song. in my experience, the first song is usually what you ask for...but after that, you're at their mercy.

The attorney general replied to me, with the letter, from Tesla. Containing the standard BS.

I have mailed my letter of initial demand, via certified mail, today. Indicating that I plan to file with small claims court if they do not compensate me for the loss of a feature I paid for.

Amazing how they keep up this front, anyone with an IQ over 40 could see they are wrong, but damn they stick to their story.

Microsoft Word - AG Response - {SabrToothSqrl's}.docx

Dear Mr. Mauser,

I write in response to your letter dated November 3, 2022 regarding Mr. {SabrToothSqrl's}’ complaint against Tesla, Inc. (“Tesla”). Thank you for the opportunity to respond.

In Mr. {SabrToothSqrl's}’ complaint, he contends in April 2022 his vehicle’s XM radio stopped working by forgetting his XM favorites every 20-30 minutes. Mr. SabrToothSqrl contends he has shown the issue to Tesla several times, but Tesla has not acknowledged it's an issue and has not taken any steps to resolve. Mr. {SabrToothSqrl's} requests $XXXX since Tesla has not corrected or acknowledged the issue.

Tesla has reviewed {SabrToothSqrl's} concern regarding the convenience feature of his XM radio favorites. Tesla has not found any hardware concerns and no repair is required at this time as this is a known characteristic of the current firmware.

{SabrToothSqrl's} can continue to use his vehicle’s XM radio by selecting any desired stations on the touchscreen. Per the vehicle’s owner’s manual, Tesla vehicles regularly receive over-the-air software updates that add new features and enhance existing ones, making the vehicle safer and more capable over time.

A Tesla representative has communicated the information above to Mr. {SabrToothSqrl's}. Based on the foregoing, Tesla cannot agree to Mr. {SabrToothSqrl's}’ demands and requests this matter be closed.

Should you have any additional questions, please do not hesitate to contact me. Sincerely,

Ashley Hoiby
Staff Case Manager Tesla, Inc.

The most infuriating part? No apology, no sympathy, nothing other than 100% gaslighting. These people clearly have zero connection to reality. I have zero doubt this will have to go to court. They will argue they did nothing wrong, even in front of a judge.

Tesla stole from me. They took something I paid for. Then, when confronted, they made it worse.

Last edited:
making the vehicle safer and more capable over time.

it is patently absurd that they'd include this bull**** in the reply. as if forcing one to look away from the road and down at the screen every time you want to pick a new favorite as opposed to keeping your eyes on the road, hands on the wheel, and just clicking a button, somehow makes the car safer.

i literally don't even know what to say.

if you don't mind me asking, what monetary damages are you filing for? i'd rather they just fix the damn thing than give me some sort of monetary damages...

I don't mind the ask. I'll fill in more after the judgement.
On the chance Tesla reads this stuff, I don't want to publicize things before that occurs.

But yes, the whole letter was a slap in the face. I was also amused at the 'makes the car safer' because if you could prove a crash was caused by the radio not working correctly, I believe you could argue Tesla liable. Because their update infact, did not make the car safer.

Which, your point reminds me, I'll file with the NHSTA today. Thanks.

The really sad part. If Tesla simply acknowledged the problem was real within 1 visit, had a plan to correct the issue, a reasonable timeline, and kept me informed along the way. This might have played out entirely differently.

When a feature of my 2009 Chevy Tahoe (Voice Commands for Navigation) didn't work correctly, and the dealer tried to fix it, at least 4x, GM cut me a check, and I was on my way. Previously I was on board with the 'we don't need dealers' mantra, but I'll tell you... those 2 Chevy dealers I worked with. Everytime 100% I felt like they had MY back. Not GM's. And it was great to have someone on your side in those scenarios.

Reactions: crackers8199
I don't mind the ask. I'll fill in more after the judgement.
On the chance Tesla reads this stuff, I don't want to publicize things before that occurs.

But yes, the whole letter was a slap in the face. I was also amused at the 'makes the car safer' because if you could prove a crash was caused by the radio not working correctly, I believe you could argue Tesla liable. Because their update infact, did not make the car safer.

Which, your point reminds me, I'll file with the NHSTA today. Thanks.

The really sad part. If Tesla simply acknowledged the problem was real within 1 visit, had a plan to correct the issue, a reasonable timeline, and kept me informed along the way. This might have played out entirely differently.

When a feature of my 2009 Chevy Tahoe (Voice Commands for Navigation) didn't work correctly, and the dealer tried to fix it, at least 4x, GM cut me a check, and I was on my way. Previously I was on board with the 'we don't need dealers' mantra, but I'll tell you... those 2 Chevy dealers I worked with. Everytime 100% I felt like they had MY back. Not GM's. And it was great to have someone on your side in those scenarios.
There is an old saying: "Too big for your britches" that seems to apply here. Tesla now believes it can do no wrong, that its customers are an annoyance and an inexhaustible resource. They need a pimpslap to jolt them back to reality.

With each anecdote I read about Tesla treating its customers like dog feces, and with each subsequent new BEV introduction out there, I become more convinced my next car will be something else.

I might have to sacrifice a second in 0-60 time from my M3P if I jump ship, but a better overall customer experience would be worth it IMO.

Tesla now believes it can do no wrong, that its customers are an annoyance and an inexhaustible resource. They need a pimpslap to jolt them back to reality.

elon becoming a MAGA god doesn't help things. the reason they believe they can do no wrong is because far too many of their customers treat them as such. every time someone points out a bug or something in the software that needs to be fixed, there are always inevitably people both here and elsewhere online who have the mindset of "well, they designed it that way for a reason."

we are in the market for a model Y or X for my wife, and literally the only reason i haven't already jumped ship is the supercharger network. we take cross country road trips on a semi-regular basis, and i wouldn't feel comfortable yet doing that with EA or EVgo or any of the other useless chargers out there that almost never work and are almost always slower than the superchargers when they actually do work. with my model 3, it's not even a remote concern...we just get in the car, and go, and stop at SCs when we need to without having to worry about whether or not they'll actually work.

as the infrastructure is built out and other networks can compete (and the new SCs become open to other cars anyway), that single advantage tesla has in my mind goes away. thanks, elon, for pushing me towards another EV for my next car...i guess?

Last edited:
Reactions: StayGreen