Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

XM Radio Presets getting deleted

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They disappear when SiriusXM updates their subscription list. Your presets will return if you're patient enough but a fast way to see them again is go into your history and choose the last XM preset you listened to, all of your presets then reappear as normal.

There's only 6 presets. :-( I know it's a different interface but even my Roadster has 18 presets.

There's only 6 presets. :-( I know it's a different interface but even my Roadster has 18 presets.

Also the AM/FM have annoyingly few presets, especially considering that this is a "soft" control system AND given the high price of the upgraded radio with the missing song storage. when I have complained to ownership they tell me to use my history if I want more presets, but I find that that takes my eyes off the road for longer than necessary. One of the few annoyances that really bother me about an otherwise great car.

I had the same problem, but I found that I was actually deleting my presets accidentally. Specifically, I would sometimes press in the right scroll wheel on the steering wheel while listening to XM or a radio station when I had actually intended to press the left scroll wheel to mute or the right button above the scroll wheel to access my phone. It turns out that pressing in the right scroll wheel causes favorites to be deleted. FYI--I have the scroll wheel set to change media sources when it is spun rather than pressed in. The behavior could be different if the scroll wheel is set to control something else.

Hopefully this helps someone.

I had the same problem, but I found that I was actually deleting my presets accidentally. Specifically, I would sometimes press in the right scroll wheel on the steering wheel while listening to XM or a radio station when I had actually intended to press the left scroll wheel to mute or the right button above the scroll wheel to access my phone. It turns out that pressing in the right scroll wheel causes favorites to be deleted. FYI--I have the scroll wheel set to change media sources when it is spun rather than pressed in. The behavior could be different if the scroll wheel is set to control something else.

Yes, I was going to say the same thing.

I'll add the real culprit: With 6.1, the right scroll wheel causes you to delete your preset by clicking the wheel, whereas pre-6.1 it allowed you to change media.

EDIT: With 6.1 you only have to click the right scroll wheel ONE time to remove a preset. So if you're listening to the radio station and click the right scroll wheel once, the preset is gone.

Last edited:

Yes, I was going to say the same thing.

I'll add the real culprit: With 6.1, the right scroll wheel causes you to delete your preset by clicking the wheel, whereas pre-6.1 it allowed you to change media.

EDIT: With 6.1 you only have to click the right scroll wheel ONE time to remove a preset. So if you're listening to the radio station and click the right scroll wheel once, the preset is gone.

Thanks! This is what was happening to me, even pre-6.1. I'm not sure that it makes sense to equate presets with favorites, but at least I know what's been happening now.

Thanks! This is what was happening to me, even pre-6.1. I'm not sure that it makes sense to equate presets with favorites, but at least I know what's been happening now.

Old thread, but I came to the same conclusion on my own over the past few weeks while trying to replicate the disappearance of some of my favorites. Doesn't it seem strange that one of the most common gestures on the steering wheel buttons would cause a silent destructive action -- by design?

Old thread, but I came to the same conclusion on my own over the past few weeks while trying to replicate the disappearance of some of my favorites. Doesn't it seem strange that one of the most common gestures on the steering wheel buttons would cause a silent destructive action -- by design?

Yes, it sure does. Just this morning I noticed I had deleted a radio station again.

Wow. It really is a bug and I'm not going crazy.

I also lose station presets. I've re-entered the FM presets about five times. At seemingly random times* one, two or three just disappear.

For some time I thought I was doing something wrong, but I now have witnesses who will confirm: Six FM presets showing on six virtual buttons; scroll through them, all working, all there... couple days later, one gone, button blank, save it again.

* May not be random -- I'll be watching to see if it's anything I do. It could have something to do with using the right scroll wheel or clicking on it, but basically, I've sworn off that thing... too confusing anyway. One time it happened was after I'd done a firmware upgrade during the previous night, but when I called tech support about it I was told "NO WAY it was the new firmware, it must be you..."

I never use Sirius XM or the others except for USB. I think it's a bug Tesla should fix -- Elon's guys, apparently, do not agree.

This isn't a problem just with the XM presets - I'm having the same problem with FM HD radio presets - they keep getting dropped - and I have to re-add them.

This has been happening more frequently since updating to 6.2, along with other audio system problems (USB playback skipping and restarting automatically to the beginning, audio playing overnight without anyone in the car, media select sometimes refusing to change audio sources, ...).

Usually I can get things working again by rebooting the software - though I'm having to do that now several times each week...

Hopefully Tesla will fix this with a 6.2 update or in the upcoming 7.0 release - though having this many audio system problems indicates that Tesla's testing process continues to be flawed and they should consider improvements to their testing process (get more owners involved during beta testing when they have developers ready to quickly fix the bugs???).