Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

XM Radio Quality

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I haven't subscribed or used XM radio in the car for many years and wondering for those who enabled it on their Model S refresh, if the quality is still the same as it always been, compressed and below HD radio quality? Wondering if our premium 23-speaker audio system enhance its low quality in any way.

I'm planning on doing a lot of road trips over the summer, working remotely from different cities, and remember how much I appreciate satellite radio in areas of poor FM reception or if cell signal is low.

I'm no audiophile, but it sounds fine to me. I can tell the difference between it and Tidal Hifi, but it's not terrible.

As an aside, I've had alot of issues with it cutting out, even driving down an open highway with no obstructions. I live at higher lattitudes in Canada, so it may just be the satellite is at a lower angle, but I never had those issues in my last car...

I had XM for the 3 month trial and have had XM in my cars for the last 15 years. Quality seemed on par with all other vehicles I have had in past. Like sandman, I can tell a difference in it v Tidal.

I discontinued the Tesla after the trial. Do not like the interface. The album art doe snot always match or is generic. You can not skip, jump, rewind, etc. Maybe I wanted too much out of it but just not worth it. I do have Tidal and just download albums for when I am in nefarious spots.

Thanks. I'm on the $1 for 3 months trial, and it's working fine. The immersive sound makes it sound much better than in my Porsche and previous cars. The only thing that's bugging me is the XM icon sometimes disappearing when starting the car, and then it pops up randomly.

The only thing that's bugging me is the XM icon sometimes disappearing when starting the car, and then it pops up randomly.

Known bug that seems (to me) to have been squashed with the most recent software updates. Are you still on release firmware? This should be fixed with your first major software update if so.

Edit: Oh I see you're in a 2021, so probably not still on release firmware. That sucks to hear that bug is still present.

XM has a maximum data rate of 64 kbps and can go down to 8 kbps for talking-type shows. XM controls the bandwidth of each channel, with most music channels getting the full 64 kbps. Now they have a good compression algorithm, so most feel the 64 kbps is similar to 128 kbps MP3 compression. It's nothing close to HD audio. So the quality will vary quite a bit depending on what you listen to. If you want lossless music, XM is not a great source. That said, many are quite happy with it. Really, you need to try it out to see if you like it or not.

Thanks, everyone. It sounds fine and I'm on the $1 free-trial period for 3-months. I do like XM content but dislike the quality. The immersive Audio definitely improves the quality compared to when I had it active in my Porsche. Looking to do a road trip this weekend to Vegas and is one of the main reasons why I activated it.