Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

XM Radio Troubles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Activated easily in about 4 minutes. Make sure you can hear channel 1 before you start the process. If you need to, you can have xm send the activation signal again. It's an option on their website and by phone (IVR).

I flipped my XM subscription over from my old car with no problem at all. FWIW, I let it expire since TuneIn and Slacker seem much superior to me.

Normally, I would agree with you. The only advantage to XM is that it is not dependent on a cellular signal. I frequently travel through mobile dead zones where Slacker and TuneIn will not function. I'll probably end up keeping everything just to be safe.

Normally, I would agree with you. The only advantage to XM is that it is not dependent on a cellular signal. I frequently travel through mobile dead zones where Slacker and TuneIn will not function. I'll probably end up keeping everything just to be safe.

That's funny, because when I'd drive around the canyons of downtown Toronto, I'd frequently lose my XM (due to the signal being blocked by buildings, I assume) but no problem with the 3G signal. (This was true in my previous car as well -- nothing to do with Tesla's XM radio).

That's funny, because when I'd drive around the canyons of downtown Toronto, I'd frequently lose my XM (due to the signal being blocked by buildings, I assume) but no problem with the 3G signal. (This was true in my previous car as well -- nothing to do with Tesla's XM radio).

Oh, don't get me wrong, XM is far from perfect. I routinely get several drop-outs on my way to work (once by the library; a single story building, and once going through an underpass; which is made of wood:rolleyes:). I would have much preferred Tesla use Sirius for their sat service. Far fewer drop-outs.

However, when I'm traveling HWY-106 and there's nothing around for hundreds of kilometers but me, trees, and rocks...even XM would be a life saver if I don't have a good audiobook.