TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

XM Radio Troubles

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by bk1004, Jul 1, 2013.

1. bk1004

bk1004 New Member

Has anyone had trouble activating the XM radio. I'm not sure if its the car or Sirius XM's fault?

2. andrewket

andrewket 2014 S P85DL, 2016 X P90DL (soon 100)

Activated easily in about 4 minutes. Make sure you can hear channel 1 before you start the process. If you need to, you can have xm send the activation signal again. It's an option on their website and by phone (IVR).

3. irishstoutaz

irishstoutaz Member

No problem activating ours... took about 5 minutes.

4. SXM_Help

SXM_Help New Member

Hi bk1004 -

We are sorry to hear you are having some troubles activating your radio. We would be more than happy to help you get started. When you have a moment, send us an email with your contact info to [email protected] and we'll be in touch.

Thanks,
    SiriusXM Digital Care Team

5. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

I flipped my XM subscription over from my old car with no problem at all. FWIW, I let it expire since TuneIn and Slacker seem much superior to me.

6. efusco

efusco Moderator - Model S & X forums

I had some issues when my phone was connected via the BT. Took a resent connection signal, but it worked fine the second try.

7. Mayhemm

Mayhemm Model S P85+ "Lola"

Normally, I would agree with you. The only advantage to XM is that it is not dependent on a cellular signal. I frequently travel through mobile dead zones where Slacker and TuneIn will not function. I'll probably end up keeping everything just to be safe.

8. andrewket

andrewket 2014 S P85DL, 2016 X P90DL (soon 100)

XM is also useful for live sports.

9. Only Trons

Only Trons Member

bk1004;

No problems with ours -- it activated within minutes.

10. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

That's funny, because when I'd drive around the canyons of downtown Toronto, I'd frequently lose my XM (due to the signal being blocked by buildings, I assume) but no problem with the 3G signal. (This was true in my previous car as well -- nothing to do with Tesla's XM radio).

11. Mayhemm

Mayhemm Model S P85+ "Lola"

Oh, don't get me wrong, XM is far from perfect. I routinely get several drop-outs on my way to work (once by the library; a single story building, and once going through an underpass; which is made of wood:rolleyes:). I would have much preferred Tesla use Sirius for their sat service. Far fewer drop-outs.

However, when I'm traveling HWY-106 and there's nothing around for hundreds of kilometers but me, trees, and rocks...even XM would be a life saver if I don't have a good audiobook.

12. arondaniel

arondaniel Il Sessanta Caricato

Transferred from my old radio in 10 minutes.

It does sound like a tin can though, fine for talk anyway. I wish they'd get rid of some channels and compress the signal a bit less. :)