Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

XM Radio

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sounds like you haven't completely activated.

Suggest you place your car outside where it is getting XM signal - leave the XM radio running - and have them re-send the activation signal - and keep the radio running on XM for 15 to 30 minutes - and see if that clears it up.

We should be picking our X up late tomorrow or early Thursday - and will be going through the same process of setting up the XM radio and will post if we have any problems.

For new vehicles, Tesla includes XM now in all new S/X vehicles. Unlike other manufacturers, Tesla doesn't provide a trial period - you have to activate XM by contacting SiriusXM. As noted above, we had an issue with our new X - because Tesla hadn't yet reported the vehicle sold to XM - and we had to go through an extra step to have the status changed from "dealer" to "consumer" so we could activate the radio.

We periodically will lose the XM category list - forcing us to direct tune stations or use previously saved XM favorites.

Unfortunately, the XM radio uses the XM satellite feed in order to build the category list - and that takes a while. Since the vehicle is always connected to the internet, it would be much faster if the media player's XM app used an internet connection to immediately populate the category list, rather than waiting for the list to be slowly transmitted over the satellite feed.

I’ve only had my X for a week but have found the XM experience to be poor (frequent drops, sometimes goes away entirely until you stop and restart, poor interface, etc.). Since I have SXM subscriptions for my other cars AND the subscription includes streaming through a mobile device, I may just drop the subscription in my X and stream it through my phone when I want to listen
Two month old X, Have the same issue. Just stops, shows radio id and is silent. Till the next time I start X up.

Is XM included for the life of the vehicle? What is different about XM on the Tesla vs any other manufacturer? I don't think I am going to activate it unless it is free. The sound quality is so horrible, the music is not even worth listening to. Talk radio is about all XM is good for these days.

Is XM included for the life of the vehicle? What is different about XM on the Tesla vs any other manufacturer? I don't think I am going to activate it unless it is free. The sound quality is so horrible, the music is not even worth listening to. Talk radio is about all XM is good for these days.

There is no "trial" SiriusXM subscription offfered by Tesla. So, its paid service from day one.