Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

XM Radio

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No, currently only the Model S, X have a SiriusXM satellite radio receiver built in. Some choose to install a SiriusXM receiver in their Model 3, Model Y. Another option is to use Amazon's Alexa app. There is an Alexa skill for SiriusXM. Once enabled you would speak "Alexa, play Classic Rock on SiriusXM". For a fully hands free Alexa experience while driving using your phone you would need to install the Amazon Echo Auto device ($49.99 but frequently the Echo Auto device is on sale for $24.99 (like right now!) When you stream audio using the Alexa app your phone's data plan, rates would apply. When your phone is connected to the Tesla via Bluetooth the audio program will play through the Tesla's audio system when the phone is selected as the streaming source.

Last edited:
Reactions: JHCCAZ
Upvote 0
No, currently only the Model S, X have a SiriusXM satellite radio receiver built in. Some choose to install a SiriusXM receiver in their Model 3, Model Y. Another option is to use Amazon's Alexa app. There is an Alexa skill for SiriusXM. Once enabled you would speak "Alexa, play Classic Rock on SiriusXM". For a fully hands free Alexa experience while driving using your phone you would need to install the Amazon Echo Auto device ($49.99 but frequently the Echo Auto device is on sale for $24.99 (like right now!) When you stream audio using the Alexa app your phone's data plan, rates would apply. When your phone is connected to the Tesla via Bluetooth the audio program will play through the Tesla's audio system when the phone is selected as the streaming source.
Alternatively, if you have access to an existing SiriusXM subscription, you can just stream directly from the SiriusXM app on your phone.

Upvote 0
Alternatively, if you have access to an existing SiriusXM subscription, you can just stream directly from the SiriusXM app on your phone.
That is true, you need to use your SiriusXM account credentials to use the Alexa app SiriusXM skill. Alexa enables hands free control over which SiriusXM channel you want to stream, can pause/start playback. With the Alexa app you don't need to handle your phone while driving.

Upvote 0
Is there a spoken Alexa command to cycle through your SiriusXM favorites without calling out each station by name?
I don't think that is currently one of the SiriusXM listening commands for the Alexa SiriusXM skill. The commands are very basic; Play <channel name> on SiriusXM or Play <channel number> on SiriusXM. You can pause and resume listening to the last channel. Amazon recommends setting SiriusXM to be your default music library and default station in the Alexa app to optimize your SiriusXM Alexa app experience.

Alexa SiriusXM Skill

(You can try using the Alexa app SiriusXM skill on your phone at any time. You don't need the Amazon Echo Auto if you have the Alexa app open on your phone, microphone enabled.)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If you have the XM subscription and want to add it to your MY/3 you can call XM and they will send you a setup that you can put in the car to listen via the FM radio. Tell them you have a MY/3 and it does not have XM so you might have to drop the service.
Antenna, control device, cables, etc. are all in the pkg. Get 12v pwr via the outlet in the center console.

• Informative
Reactions: X-pilot
Upvote 0
If you have the XM subscription and want to add it to your MY/3 you can call XM and they will send you a setup that you can put in the car to listen via the FM radio. Tell them you have a MY/3 and it does not have XM so you might have to drop the service.
Antenna, control device, cables, etc. are all in the pkg. Get 12v pwr via the outlet in the center console.
Are they just sending you a radio with the accessories? Do you have to pay for what they send or is it free?

Upvote 0
They send the radio and the accessories for free. Once you activate the unit, your other unit will deactivate. The one they send is not their "high end" model, but it does the trick. I find it to be somewhat more reliable than my cell coverage, but marginally.
Pardon my ignorance, but how do you route/hide all the wires, and how do you mount the radio itself? I assume you'll need to have that SiriusXM antenna on your roof? I'm just trying to envision what this installation looks like in real life, and how involved the installation is (or whether I'll need to hire a professional to install).

Upvote 0
There are a number of installation videos on you tube.
is one.

Yeah, it's a bit of work. I set the system up with wires exposed before I did the "big" install.

Honestly, it was nice to have the XM play in the car, but manipulating the station/selection was no where near as easy as the Tesla on-screen offerings. I hope Tesla and XM come to some agreement to include XM built in to the M3 & MY in the future.

Reactions: patnshan and JLOC
Upvote 0
IMHO installing the SiriusXM kit seems like a lot of effort. You can get past the whole Tesla Model 3, Model Y not having a SiriusXM satellite radio feature if you use the Amazon Alexa app on your phone. You can fully voice enable the Alexa app using the Amazon Echo Auto microphone array accessory in the Tesla vehicle. The Amazon Alexa app SiriusXM skill enables basic commands such as "Alexa, play SiriusXM", "Alexa, play channel 100 on SiriusXM" or "Alexa, play Classic Rock on SiriusXM". (The Amazon Alexa app is free. You must have a SiriusXM account to use the Alexa skill for SiriusXM. Your phone's data plan, rates would apply. The Amazon Echo Auto microphone array accessory is frequently on sale for $25.)

Reactions: Darmie
Upvote 0
There are a number of installation videos on you tube.
is one.

Yeah, it's a bit of work. I set the system up with wires exposed before I did the "big" install.

Honestly, it was nice to have the XM play in the car, but manipulating the station/selection was no where near as easy as the Tesla on-screen offerings. I hope Tesla and XM come to some agreement to include XM built in to the M3 & MY in the future.
Thank you for linking me to that video.

Upvote 0
Not a big fan of Alexa for lots of reasons, not the least of which is I need a data plan to access via my phone (I can already do that with my XM sub via my home network). Just another digital $$ morsel coming out of my account each month. They add up!

I wish Tesla would allow you to share the car's connectivity to my phone.

Upvote 0
I just use the SiriusXM app on my Android phone and the Google Assistant to get the voice commands.

Install the SiriusXM app on your phone, and choose it as the music source in your Tesla. Then be sure you have the Google Assistant activated. That lets you say things to your phone like "Hey Google....play CoffeeHouse on SiriusXM" and the Google Assistant will do it.

It works a bit better if you've done the voice training to teach Google Assistant to recognize your specific voice when you first set it up.

To make it easier, I have my phone set to remain unlocked when connected to my Tesla as a Bluetooth device.

Upvote 0
I just use the SiriusXM app on my Android phone and the Google Assistant to get the voice commands.

Install the SiriusXM app on your phone, and choose it as the music source in your Tesla. Then be sure you have the Google Assistant activated. That lets you say things to your phone like "Hey Google....play CoffeeHouse on SiriusXM" and the Google Assistant will do it.

It works a bit better if you've done the voice training to teach Google Assistant to recognize your specific voice when you first set it up.

To make it easier, I have my phone set to remain unlocked when connected to my Tesla as a Bluetooth device.
With the Google Assistant and the SiriusXM app on your Android phone can you ask Google Assistant to scan, play your favorite SiriusXM stations?

Upvote 0
Has anyone tried to run SiriusXM through the internet browser? I saw a post about someone listening to Apple Music this way and wondered if an XM subscribers had tried that. I am waiting for local service center to open before buying my Y so trying to gather all the info 😄
Will work while parked only. All browser multimedia are disabled when driving. Tesla should allow audio from browser, IMO.

• Helpful
Reactions: X-pilot
Upvote 0