Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

XM Radio

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you have the XM subscription and want to add it to your MY/3 you can call XM and they will send you a setup that you can put in the car to listen via the FM radio. Tell them you have a MY/3 and it does not have XM so you might have to drop the service.
Antenna, control device, cables, etc. are all in the pkg. Get 12v pwr via the outlet in the center console.
But who wants all that crap in the car? Just stream it through the phone app. Simple and uncluttered.

• Disagree
Reactions: lolguy and KentheJ
Upvote 0
No, currently only the Model S, X have a SiriusXM satellite radio receiver built in. Some choose to install a SiriusXM receiver in their Model 3, Model Y. Another option is to use Amazon's Alexa app. There is an Alexa skill for SiriusXM. Once enabled you would speak "Alexa, play Classic Rock on SiriusXM". For a fully hands free Alexa experience while driving using your phone you would need to install the Amazon Echo Auto device ($49.99 but frequently the Echo Auto device is on sale for $24.99 (like right now!) When you stream audio using the Alexa app your phone's data plan, rates would apply. When your phone is connected to the Tesla via Bluetooth the audio program will play through the Tesla's audio system when the phone is selected as the streaming source.
How does this work when in an area with no internet reception?
Alternatively, if you have access to an existing SiriusXM subscription, you can just stream directly from the SiriusXM app on your phone.
And when you are on a roadtrip in the middle of nowhere with no satellite?

Upvote 0
How does this work when in an area with no internet reception?

And when you are on a roadtrip in the middle of nowhere with no satellite?
As far as using your phone to stream SiriusXM programming to the Tesla Model Y's audio system you would have to be in an area with cellular service. An advantage of having built-in SiriusXM radio is the ability to received the satellite signal in most parts of the US without having to rely on a terrestrial signal. With Amazon Music you can download selections to your phone, for a limited period of time, so you can listen to Amazon Music when you are not able to stream Amazon content, i.e. when on a plane with no WiFi or when driving or camping in an area with no cellular service.. I believe Apple Music, Spotify also offers the capability of downloading, caching content to your phone so you can listen even when there is no cell service or WiFi. I'm not a user of SiriusXM app so I don't know if you can download, cache SiriusXM programming for later listening.

Reactions: rxlawdude
Upvote 0
While BT works ok around town I frequently forget to start XM playing from my phone when I jump in the car while running errands. It was far more convenient when built in like on my old 2008 jeep, start the car and XM starts playing. Even an Aux port to direct connect a portable XM would be an improvement for trips.

Reactions: rxlawdude
Upvote 0
While BT works ok around town I frequently forget to start XM playing from my phone when I jump in the car while running errands. It was far more convenient when built in like on my old 2008 jeep, start the car and XM starts playing. Even an Aux port to direct connect a portable XM would be an improvement for trips.
Tesla's philosophy increasingly is to spurn terrestrial radio. Deletion of XM from the S/X line is likely next.

What would be amazingly simple is to add an XM app to the Tesla Infotainment center. Still doesn't solve the no cell coverage or MLB issues, but makes operation much simpler and safer.

Reactions: mycroftxxx
Upvote 0
Tesla's philosophy increasingly is to spurn terrestrial radio. Deletion of XM from the S/X line is likely next.

What would be amazingly simple is to add an XM app to the Tesla Infotainment center. Still doesn't solve the no cell coverage or MLB issues, but makes operation much simpler and safer.
Adding SiriusXM app to the Tesla info center will cost you cell data streaming fees. Plus the XM fee.
So installing the free receiver from SiriusXM might be worth the effort.

Reactions: kc1953
Upvote 0
Adding SiriusXM app to the Tesla info center will cost you cell data streaming fees. Plus the XM fee.
So installing the free receiver from SiriusXM might be worth the effort.
Do most people pay "data streaming fees" in 2021? I think not. And an XM stream is pretty low bandwidth in any case. Probably lower than TuneIn or Spotify.

I'm proposing that if you subscribe to Premium data (all cars purchased after some long-past date are now sold with trial subscriptions lasting various periods), Tesla should provide the native XM STREAMING app in the Infotainment center so that Tesla pays for cell data (as they already do with multiple video streaming providers) under that plan. And of course, also when connected via WiFi.

The owner, of course, would still have to subscribe to XM streaming.

Reactions: mycroftxxx
Upvote 0
Do most people pay "data streaming fees" in 2021? I think not. And an XM stream is pretty low bandwidth in any case. Probably lower than TuneIn or Spotify.

I'm proposing that if you subscribe to Premium data (all cars purchased after some long-past date are now sold with trial subscriptions lasting various periods), Tesla should provide the native XM STREAMING app in the Infotainment center so that Tesla pays for cell data (as they already do with multiple video streaming providers) under that plan. And of course, also when connected via WiFi.

The owner, of course, would still have to subscribe to XM streaming.
MOST people still pay data fees based on limits imposed by the cellphone services companies, if they choose to check. Most don't.
Look at the contracts for all the 5G phones, as I have. ATT, Verizon, T-Mobile, Sprint, they're virtually all the same.
NONE provide 1080HD video quality standard (std is 480p), and anything over 2GB/mo is subject to fees per GB.
You can pay stupid monthly money for unlimited data. For many people, it's not close to worth it, but I'm sure many are sold it.
My contract with ATT is thankfully grandfathered, and I'm limited to 4G on my 5G phone, but that's not an issue for me especially since 5G rollout is so uneven.
The new contracts are pure rips.

Reactions: ArchieDale
Upvote 0
MOST people still pay data fees based on limits imposed by the cellphone services companies, if they choose to check. Most don't.
Look at the contracts for all the 5G phones, as I have. ATT, Verizon, T-Mobile, Sprint, they're virtually all the same.
NONE provide 1080HD video quality standard (std is 480p), and anything over 2GB/mo is subject to fees per GB.
You can pay stupid monthly money for unlimited data. For many people, it's not close to worth it, but I'm sure many are sold it.
My contract with ATT is thankfully grandfathered, and I'm limited to 4G on my 5G phone, but that's not an issue for me especially since 5G rollout is so uneven.
The new contracts are pure rips.
Dunno, I have 4 lines with 10GB each, and slowing after that. Tmobile does not require contracts, and IMO, friends don't let friends subscribe to AT&T. 😉

Upvote 0
Dunno, I have 4 lines with 10GB each, and slowing after that. Tmobile does not require contracts, and IMO, friends don't let friends subscribe to AT&T. 😉
Any issues with ATT are shared by all the other vendors. They all share towers, they all share frequencies....and they all share the same contracts.
The Urban Legends are not truth. Just because everyone says it - doesn't make it true.

Upvote 0
Any issues with ATT are shared by all the other vendors. They all share towers, they all share frequencies....and they all share the same contracts.
The Urban Legends are not truth. Just because everyone says it - doesn't make it true.
Some carriers use different frequencies than ATT/VZ. TMobile, for one. It sounds like you're constrained by budget to a data limited service contract, but no reason to belittle the vast majority with either reasonable or no data limits. From virtually every carrier out there, including the secondaries like Mint or Metro.

Upvote 0
Some carriers use different frequencies than ATT/VZ. TMobile, for one. It sounds like you're constrained by budget to a data limited service contract, but no reason to belittle the vast majority with either reasonable or no data limits. From virtually every carrier out there, including the secondaries like Mint or Metro.
read into it what you wish. clearly you're the peacock.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
That is true, you need to use your SiriusXM account credentials to use the Alexa app SiriusXM skill. Alexa enables hands free control over which SiriusXM channel you want to stream, can pause/start playback. With the Alexa app you don't need to handle your phone while driving.
This setup, with Echo Auto, is what is working very well for me in several vehicles and what I will likely end up using in the upcoming MY also. I'm very big on talking and listening rather than fiddling with the phone or the touchscreen while driving ( I plan to learn the entire set of availble Tesla voice commands also).

I use the speak/listen setup constantly while driving, to listen to SXM, Amazon music songs, podcasts, make calls, find businesses etc. Since my phone is Android I can also enable and use the built-in Google assistant in a very similar way, but the Echo Auto hears better when sound is already playing in the car. There are some things that are more clunky via Alexa but it's improving. One handy thing is that if the Alexa SXM streaming gets momentarily interrupted by a phone notification event or a brief signal loss, it will attempt to pick up from the interruption point so you don't miss what you were listening to, then I think it speeds up playback imperceptibly to "catch up" and rebuild the audio stream buffer for the next interruption.

If I made regular drives outside of cell-tower coverage, which I mostly don't, then I might opt for the SXM direct satellite-receiver installation - but of course much of the non-SXM functionality would be crippled in those areas. Unfortunately Starlink internet doesn't seem imminent for automotive use.

I certainly understand that someone who does not already have Amazon Echo devices may not be interested, but I agree with @jcanoe that it turns out to be a pretty nice setup. And of course I get that someone who objects to the whole idea of such assistants will not be too interested. I elected to go with the Alexa ecosystem to interface with all my smart-hub connected switches, thermostat and other devices and I'm used to it. But I've also been very careful not to enable Amazon Alexa access to my personal contacts despite the app's strong attempts to get me to do that. I have absolutely no interest in enabling my friends and family be able to "drop in" on me by voice, or even worse, by video screen. Also I do not put blind faith in assurances that I cannot possibly be monitored through these devices unless deliberately engaging them. But I also do not assume that of my cellphone, computers, tablets, connected car or whatever, and yet I choose to have them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
So, why is this not even available as an option on the 3/Y? I can understand a more reasonable price over the S/X but at lease you can purchase the home link and the trailer hitch. Why is this not an option as well? I don't get it. I even miss the AM radio but found the two stations I listen to on FM under an HD2 channel selection.

Upvote 0