Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

XM Radio

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No, currently only the Model S, X have a SiriusXM satellite radio receiver built in. Some choose to install a SiriusXM receiver in their Model 3, Model Y. Another option is to use Amazon's Alexa app. There is an Alexa skill for SiriusXM. Once enabled you would speak "Alexa, play Classic Rock on SiriusXM". For a fully hands free Alexa experience while driving using your phone you would need to install the Amazon Echo Auto device ($49.99 but frequently the Echo Auto device is on sale for $24.99 (like right now!) When you stream audio using the Alexa app your phone's data plan, rates would apply. When your phone is connected to the Tesla via Bluetooth the audio program will play through the Tesla's audio system when the phone is selected as the streaming source.
The issue I have is that I live in a very rural area where cell reception is spotty at best. I am so dissapointed that Tesla did not include the hardware in the MY/3. In an ideal world eveyone would be able to stream no matter location but that's not the reality. Does anyone have suggestions for easy to install receivers? Thanks!

Reactions: rxlawdude
Upvote 0
I believe if you have a SiriusXM account and can't receive the satellite/terrestrial signal in your vehicle that SiriusXM will send you a kit free of charge. Installation could be as simple as plugging the receiver into the vehicle's 12V accessory port and connecting to the vehicle's audio system in one of three ways: audio adapter cable, FM radio, BT audio streaming. The installation would be more complicated if you wanted to hide the cables for the 12V power and the SiriusXM antenna.

Upvote 0
I just cancelled my SiriusXM subscription and went for Spotify Duo Premium. I didn't like the idea of trying to manage it on my phone. I noticed there are a lot of playlists that are available for 'like' channels on SiriusXM and now we aren't playing ping pong with kicking each other off the account when steaming. It also was cheaper.
Cancelling was a bit of a pain. Seems like you can get that price down to $7.99 then $4.99.

Upvote 0
You can download selected SirusXM programs to your phone and listen in places where there is no cell service. You can listen to the downloaded content for 14 days.

The Amazon Alexa app is designed for hands free listening. To choose a SiriusXM channel just say "Alexa, play Underground Garage on SiriusXM". (You need to provide the Alexa app with your log in information for your SiriusXM account.)

Reactions: JHCCAZ
Upvote 0
You can download selected SirusXM programs to your phone and listen in places where there is no cell service.

The Amazon Alexa app is designed for hands free listening.
Um, not without a cell signal unless Alexa for Autos or the Alexa app has a ton of special memory and processing power. So yes to being able to download programs, but no to using Alexa where there's no cell service, making the downloaded content only available by futzing with the phone.

Upvote 0
W
Um, not without a cell signal unless Alexa for Autos or the Alexa app has a ton of special memory and processing power. So yes to being able to download programs, but no to using Alexa where there's no cell service, making the downloaded content only available by futzing with the phone.
My posting was intended for two different use cases, did not consider both at the same time. In the first scenario you could download selected programs from SiriusXM to your phone, for listening on airplanes or other situations where you don't have cell service available. In the second scenario you are able to use voice commands with the Alexa app so you don't have to handle your phone while driving. (This works best when you have the Echo Auto microphone array inside the vehicle and the Alexa app is set to Auto Mode for use while driving.)

Upvote 0
It would be great if Tesla allowed other streaming services like Apple and SXM. This would not require additional hardware and would encourage premium internet.
Totally agree. I think the Apple Music situation is due to lack of partnership with Elon and Tim Cook. Although being primarily on Apple Music I would love it in lieu of having to do Bluetooth and Siri for changing songs.

We would all like ability to get Pandora, SXM (Streaming), Amazon Music etc as an alternative though. I subscribed to Spotify just because it's built in to the MCU and works well, but it is not my go-to service with all of my playlists - although it is the only decent service in the MCU. I despise Slacker radio myself. I would gladly pay if there was ability to have other stuff built in.

Although hacker "Greentheonly" had posted some code showing Tesla bringing other music services last December, that has never materialized to date. Me thinks Tesla is more interested in FSD, Games, and Video streaming services at this point. We will see if the additional music services or rumored Tesla "app store" ever comes to fruition.

Upvote 0
I can't figure out how to get my phones audio to play thru the Tesla.. 🤔 I have an android
1. Make sure your phone is connected to the Tesla in your Bluetooth settings.

2. In the audio settings in the Tesla (pre v11, at least), there's a set of slides to make all available audio "Sources" easily selectable...your phone should be one of them. Even in v11, one should be able to select Phone as the current audio source.

3. On your phone, install the SiriusXM app and start playing a channel.

Should be that simple.

Upvote 0
For those searching, here is a link to the free Sirius XM satellite car radio you can get if you subscribe. It includes a magnetic antenna and you need to find a place to stick that.

Install instructions.

I have not done this yet myself but it's in the plan.

• Informative
Reactions: jcanoe
Upvote 0
The free radio connects via an (unused) FM station you have to connect. They have a bluetooth dock that you can also use to connect.

Upvote 0
The free radio connects via an (unused) FM station you have to connect. They have a bluetooth dock that you can also use to connect.

If bt is used, how do you take calls on your phone? One BT connection for the car.

Reactions: DrGriz
Upvote 0
(Thread drift: NEVER pay full price for Sirius/XM. I just updated my account, currently have Premium package for one car (2019 Toyota Avalon Hybrid) and one mobile app for my phone [for the Tesla]. Was quoted $30/month (??????), quickly negotiated down to $10/month)
I lease my vehicles (company cars). Last four had XM. I would use the free 90 day trail that came with the car, then allow it to expire. They call. Offer a promo deal. I take it but make sure it's not on renewal. Two months before it expires call in and say you won't be renewing the contract. They'll give another promo deal. I forgot what I was paying, but it was around $150-$175/year versus the normal $30-40/month.

Did this for the last ten years. I do miss XM on my Tesla, but I've gotten used to it. I only listened to sports talk radio on XM.

Upvote 0