TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

XM radio

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by Mraim, Jun 26, 2016.

1. Mraim

Mraim Member

i'm ordering a model S. I'm no sure if I should order the upgrade audio system or not. I'm told you can't tell the difference. I'm no sure because I never heard the ultra hight fidelity sound system. Can any one help on this ? also the XM radio does it come with the regular standard radio system or only the ultra hight fidelity sound system?

2. SomeJoe7777

SomeJoe7777 Marginally-Known Member

XM radio requires the Ultra HiFi Sound System package and the panoramic roof option.

3. chillaban

chillaban Member

I posted my opinions on UHF sound here: My thoughts on Ultra High Fidelity Sound

In short, I wouldn't say you can't tell the difference. The biggest difference is that UHF has a subwoofer and much better bass + midrange if you like hip hop, pop, dance, or other bass-heavy music.

Oh yeah, the most important tip for UHF is DO NOT TURN ON THE DOLBY SURROUND MODE! Or at least try it both ways. The Dolby surround mode seems to decrease the quality of most content and also dramatically reduce the bass response, which could contribute to those saying that they couldn't hear a difference.

4. NikeWings

NikeWings Member

I found the same to be true. Turn off the Dolby.