Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

XM satellite radio now requires panoramic roof - for once I'm glad I bought early!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anybody know when this requirement started? I was looking through the design studio tonight and noticed it, but I don't do that often so I don't know when it started.

Why would they do this? I never want a sunroof in my car just because of the potential for problems. But XM satellite radio is one of the most important features of the car to me.

For once I'm glad I bought my car when I did!!! Yeah!!
icon10.gif

Sad for future owners who don't want a sunroof but require satellite radio. I wonder what percentage of owners feel XM is mandatory in any car (like me)? I can't imagine a long drive without XM.

Sad for future owners who don't want a sunroof but require satellite radio. I wonder what percentage of owners feel XM is mandatory in any car (like me)? I can't imagine a long drive without XM.

I'm a long-long-term XM subscriber (>10 years). But for me, Slacker has totally replaced the need for XM in my Model S. So while I use XM every day at work, I never use or need it in the car. And ever since XM and Sirius merged, the DJs gabber on and on and on so freaking much, it's annoying. It's so much nicer having just music and only music without annoying DJs coming in between every song.

But yeah, the sunroof requirement for XM is odd. Probably has to do with the antenna placement.

I'm a long-long-term XM subscriber (>10 years). But for me, Slacker has totally replaced the need for XM in my Model S. So while I use XM every day at work, I never use or need it in the car. And ever since XM and Sirius merged, the DJs gabber on and on and on so freaking much, it's annoying. It's so much nicer having just music and only music without annoying DJs coming in between every song.

But yeah, the sunroof requirement for XM is odd. Probably has to do with the antenna placement.
I think that depends what you want in an audio service. I fully agree with you and think Slacker is actually better than XM, but that's for listening to music, if you like the talk stations, slacker can't really compete. Honestly I think what Tesla needs to do is allow audio streams through the browser and then people can listen to pretty much anything they want...

I think that depends what you want in an audio service. I fully agree with you and think Slacker is actually better than XM, but that's for listening to music, if you like the talk stations, slacker can't really compete. Honestly I think what Tesla needs to do is allow audio streams through the browser and then people can listen to pretty much anything they want...
Slacker doesn't have much for talk, but TuneIn does. I cancelled XM after I got my Tesla, and haven't really missed it.

The original plan (2011-2012) was to require pano roof for XM for good antenna placement. Indeed the current placement leaves something to be desired. That said, it is adequate 99% of the time and the combined cost of premium audio + pano to get XM will leave a lot of buyers looking for aftermarket options.

edit: Found a 2011 reference to the requirement for pano roof on the teslamotors.com forum:
Model S Pricing Reactions | Forums | Tesla Motors

Last edited:
I've never understood the requirement to have the high-end audio package in order to get XM when virtually every other manufacturer includes it with the most basic of packages. With them now requiring the panoramic roof to get XM, it would make the most sense to make Ultra High Fidelity Sound a stand alone option and bundle XM with the panoramic roof.

I've done away with SiriusXM in my current car mainly to test if I can live without it since I have no intent of ordering high-end audio to listen mostly to talk radio. With all the content that can be streamed via smart phone and a horribly repetitive music playlist, I don't see how SiriusXM survives. It serves little purpose outside of road trips through remote areas.

Have we determined that this is because of a physical change to the car or is it merely Tesla's response to complaints that XM reception is lacking? If it's the latter, I would much prefer that Tesla reword the Design Studio to say something akin to "For optimal XM reception, cough up the dough for a pano roof." At least that would provide an option for those wishing to take their chances with XM and a non-pano roof.

I cancelled my XM subscription shortly after the XM/Sirius merger. XM was really good about not talking over music; the Sirius-style DJ gabber was really annoying. They also started inserting their own adds into the CNBC feed seemingly at random (not over the TV commercials only, like XM did), so you'd be listening to the content, and it would rudely be cut into an add.

I now mostly listen to podcasts through my phone -- really wish Tesla would add CarPlay support for better integration. When listening to music, Slacker has been really good...

I listen to more podcasts now - and you are right the Tesla controls are crappy at best. You can't fast forward a podcast - you can only skip to the beginning of the next one. If I play the podcast through my phone I can skip 15 sec ahead and back - these are basic functions. Why doesn't a $100k car have simple basic functions like this??

For those of us who listen to Howard Stern, XM is a necessity.

Not really. Even though I have two radios with lifetime subs, I still find myself downloading so I can listen to the shows as podcasts.

You've just summed up why I don't have any desire for XM radio...

There is a lot of immature stuff in the show but you won't find a better interviewer in the business, and some of his best interviews have been in the past few years... Louis CK, Chris Rock, Billy Joel, Bill Murray, Neil Young, Paul McCartney, and the list goes on and on. No one else gets the interesting information out these guests like Howard. Plus, in many cases, these interviews are nearly two hours long with no commercials or breaks. That's why I need the podcasts.

Last edited:
There's always the option to get the Internet service and stream through Bluetooth. It's better for Howard stern anyway so you can continue to listen to where you left off.. Instead of randomly tuning in

I bought a Sirius lifetime subscription back in 2006, when Howard Stern announced he was moving to Sirius.
I also bought Sirius stock at the same time. Sold the Sirius stock within 6 months, which paid for the lifetime subscription multiple times.

since the merger, they have been a real PITA. I've had to pay another $100 to "upgrade" my subscription, and I pay something like $36/year for the enhanced streaming service, which I use on my Sonos system at home. They also gave me a tremendous amount of aggravation moving the lifetime subscription from my Prius to the Model S, telling me once you move a "lifetime" subscription to a vehicle, it cannot be moved again. I called, wrote emails, and eventually got them to move the subscription to the Model S, which is probably where it will die, as I find myself listening to podcasts mostly now, and my commute to work is now much shorter (10 minutes). My Sonos system still wakes me up with Howard 100 at 6:00AM though, and I listen until I leave and get in the car... Howard will probably retire at the end of this contract probably as well... which is fine with me. I've certainly gotten my moneys worth since 2006 with the lifetime subscription.

on topic, it's very likely that the antenna for the XM radio could be in the touchscreen module itself, which might be why the pano roof is required.

I'm on the same boat. Been having XM/Sirius for the past 5-6 years. But with Slacker, I doubt I will need XM anymore. The most annoying thing about XM for me is the constant cut off signal every time I go through an overpass. In Southern California, that is like ever .5 miles to 1 miles. Pain in the ARSE!