Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

XM / Sirius for Model S - Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Its time to build your Model S | Blog | Tesla Motors

New (I think):

- Turn by turn navigation includes 7 years of map updates
- Several internet connectivity plans, to be announced in a "few months" (odd choice of wording - in a few months people should have the car already?)
- XM Radio no longer requires pano roof

Confirmed:

- Performance can have any interior accent now
- Factory delivery/personal delivery details

Mod note: Changed the thread name to make it more descriptive. - b.

Last edited by a moderator:
They should - but they are not. Even worse - if you have 1 XM car (i.e. Nissan or Toyota) and 1 Sirius car (i.e. VW) - they make you have 2 different billing accounts and two different web accounts.

Can't you just log into the XM/Sirius web interface an do online listening for free (if you have an account?) seems easier than having multiple subscriptions for multiple cars.

Really curious to see the nav UI....

Aren't they the same company now? So, shouldn't all their satellites be broadcasting their entire station lineup?

It's not the line-up, it's reception that's a problem.

They should - but they are not. Even worse - if you have 1 XM car (i.e. Nissan or Toyota) and 1 Sirius car (i.e. VW) - they make you have 2 different billing accounts and two different web accounts.

I had this situation for a year and it's a PITA (the channel numbers are different) as well as being more expensive as they don't let you have a package deal on the 2 subscriptions. I was soooo happy when I got the Roadster with Sirius.

And GeorgeB has #21.... (but he doesn't say if that's Founders, SSL or Sig)

P.S. Hopefully the satellite radio is Sirius and not XM; I have no idea why but XM is c**p around here but Sirius works fine.

Sigh...

Perfect for the music lover. Gives you the exhilaration of a front row concert seat with a 580 watt, 12 speaker Dolby ProLogic 7.1 system, storage space for over 3,000 songs, and XM Satellite Radio preparation.

I have Sirius, don't want XM (I know the lineup is the same, but meh).

*edit* that section used to read:

Perfect for the music lover. Gives you the exhilaration of a front row concert seat with a 580 watt, 12 speaker Dolby ProLogic 7.1 system, and storage space for over 3,000 songs. Satellite Radio equipped when outfitted with All Glass Panoramic Roof.

So it looks like they cleaned up and clarified the provider. With all my mp3s and connectivity though, I doubt I'd bother with it anyway.

P.S. Hopefully the satellite radio is Sirius and not XM; I have no idea why but XM is c**p around here but Sirius works fine.

Because the XM coverage looks like this (this one is Roll):

8612_1067755132.jpg

Relatively (not too) low EIRP down at Miami.

Whereas there is always one, sometime two Sirius satellites high in the sky over you:

sirius-xm-orbital-animations.gif

I just designed a Model S, and named it Katniss.

If you're familiar with a certain movie that broke some records this weekend, you'd understand, lol.

I think I can live without the mobile connectivity. I don't want to be looking at, um, sexy ladies while driving and wrap my car around a telephone pole.
And I was hoping for Sirius and not XM, because of the package deal thing. I hope this gets fixed, I don't want to pay extra for Howard Stern.

Looks like I'm out-voted....

... I'd rather have XM so that I can keep it together with my other 2 radios. All the channels I care about are on both services, and I'll purchase a lifetime subscription anyway, so I suppose it doesn't matter.

/Mitch.

Really? Since when? It must be a new policy - lifetime hasn't been on the web site for a while, but you can get different pricing structures if you call. Then again, my experience isn't recent.

I got a quote for one less than a year ago, for the tuner in a whole-house audio system. Cars are less expensive, so I used an annual subscription for the home tuner.

I guess I'll have to call and ask!

/Mitch.

My other car (Infiniti) receives XM great, ever in parking garages. NoVA. I think they have repeaters? The Roadster with Sirius browns out often. Maybe they have the wire down inside too deep, there was another thread on that. I go for XM and also I am not so afraid of antennas (shark fin) on the outside of the car since that is where the signal is!

My other car (Infiniti) receives XM great, ever in parking garages. NoVA. I think they have repeaters? The Roadster with Sirius browns out often. Maybe they have the wire down inside too deep, there was another thread on that. I go for XM and also I am not so afraid of antennas (shark fin) on the outside of the car since that is where the signal is!

The problem with the Roadster is that there's very little metal in it to form a ground plane for the antenna.