Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

XM without premium audio?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I miss my satellite radio being integrated into the vehicle interface (not just on the phone via bluetooth). I did not opt for the premium audio package, but I do have the pano roof.

Has anyone figured out a way to enable XM without the premium audio? The assumption here being that pretty much everything needed for XM is already prewired in the car.

Or maybe not everything, but with a few small modifications?

Or is it software-locked and there's nothing at all to be done about it?

Sort of a thread jack here, I apologize.... But I have premium audio but a base roof. Do you know if the XM tuner was still left out of this configuration?

Hrm, that's interesting, and to me I'd think you might have the hardware. My logic is that "Lean" production lines are consistent to reduce errors and save time - since every premium audio kit includes the cost of an XM tuner, it's easier to install it into each car so that you don't need two product numbers. This also prevents the chance of accidentally leaving an XM tuner out of a new build.

Even if I was proven right though, and you figured out an aftermarket antenna, unfortunately I don't think you'd convince Tesla to update your software configuration to activate the software.

Hrm, that's interesting, and to me I'd think you might have the hardware. My logic is that "Lean" production lines are consistent to reduce errors and save time - since every premium audio kit includes the cost of an XM tuner, it's easier to install it into each car so that you don't need two product numbers. This also prevents the chance of accidentally leaving an XM tuner out of a new build.

Even if I was proven right though, and you figured out an aftermarket antenna, unfortunately I don't think you'd convince Tesla to update your software configuration to activate the software.

This is what I was thinking could be the case (more like hoping). Hardware minus antenna installed and not enabled in the software but I do not know for sure. Like you said, even if I managed to get all the hardware working I doubt I could get it enabled. I do enjoy my base roof but I also enjoyed having XM built into the stereo of my old car.

They don't put the XM tuner in cars w/o premium audio, so it's not just software. In theory you could add one, and someone (such as me) would need to program the option.

Interesting. So a few questions immediately come to mind:
  1. Where does one find an XM tuner designed for their Tesla? Would a basic one like this work? https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00NJTO4CY/ or need something special?
  2. Could most audio auto shops install it?
  3. Are you or someone able to program it remotely?

If you were to locate the XM tuner and get an antenna, I can program it. Historically Tesla has refused to program in either used parts or options your car wasn't built with.

Personally I don't think XM is worth it. I think the quality is poor (Heavily compressed) and given the streaming options already built-in, why bother. If you can't do streaming, you can always load your own USB drive.

• Helpful
Reactions: fallen888
There is a lot of talk content, where compression doesnt bother much.

I've tried an XM antenna through the rear window glass, which works but no integration. There was an Ebay listing for Teslas hardware. I dont believe one has to get an integrated MCU, to pull off a retrofit. That's only judging from pics (could be wrong).

• Helpful
If you were to locate the XM tuner and get an antenna, I can program it. Historically Tesla has refused to program in either used parts or options your car wasn't built with.

Personally I don't think XM is worth it. I think the quality is poor (Heavily compressed) and given the streaming options already built-in, why bother. If you can't do streaming, you can always load your own USB drive.

I'm curious how you are able to program it - PM is okay too if we "don't discuss" that sort of thing on the boards (some car forums are touchy like that and I'm new here).

The nice thing about XM is that someone else is controlling the playlists - sort of like cable TV versus on-demand streaming. Sometimes you just want to zone out, commercial-free, and let someone else pick the tunes. I haven't decided if I will port my account to the Tesla when it arrives yet.