Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

XMAS update- Can receive texts but can’t send them. Anyone else?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok. I have tried with two different iPhones now. I connect to Bluetooth to get recent calls and contacts to appear on the car and can receive texts. I think this means that I am connected to the car.

When I try to send a text the text appears on the card but when I hit Tap to send... nothing!!!

anybody else? Seems like a car problem. Rebooted numerous times...

Bob

HW2.5, FSD, MSM P3D

Last edited:
It’s an Apple/iPhone problem and you will not able to send text ever unless you have CarPlay or an Apple Watch. With an Android phone you will be able to respond to text.
Completely not true, I have an iPhone and sending and receiving texts works fine, you just have to set it up.
1. In your iPhone go to Settings, bluetooth, choose the Tesla ‘i’ and select Show Notification to on
2. In your Tesla, go to your phone settings and ‘Add a phone’ ( which is under the music menu) and select Sync Contacts and re- pair the phone and it works!!

Completely not true, I have an iPhone and sending and receiving texts works fine, you just have to set it up.
1. In your iPhone go to Settings, bluetooth, choose the Tesla ‘i’ and select Show Notification to on
2. In your Tesla, go to your phone settings and ‘Add a phone’ ( which is under the music menu) and select Sync Contacts and re- pair the phone and it works!!

I will test this out tomorrow, but from having previous vehicles without CarPlay including my current Acura, iPhone does not allow you to reply to text if you are not using CarPlay.... you can however rely to a text by using “Hey Siri” ... if Apple has changed this, that is awesome!

OP also make sure your Do Not Disturb is off

Thanks for the post , it works exactly as you said.

Reactions: mswlogo
We found this on the Bluetooth menu. Tap the Bluetooth icon when the phone is connected (top right of the car’s screen) and be sure the options are enabled. And yes you need to do this and also enable it on the phone (under Tesla (Model)) also).

Works great both ways for us.

yep. Probably 10 times.

I can receive texts... just not send them

And, you are using the native messaging app for the phone, correct? I havent tried texting through the car since the update because I have not had to drive anywhere... but have you tried texting people that dont have iphones (as in, not through imessage)?

Did you follow the instructions? You need to allow it in two places. As said above. On the Bluetooth menu on the car. Tap the Bluetooth icon on the display and enable the new message sync settings.

Then on the phone, choose your car in the Bluetooth menu and also enable the message setting. Worked perfectly for us first time, current iPhones.

No issue if you do what it says.

I swear the validation department is lack luster at Tesla. How in the world do they test this? On one MCU configurations? what about live demos? etc? As an engineer in SW especially in the Software Quality - this is some of the worst bugs ive seen. They need some serious and good engineers.

Did you follow the instructions? You need to allow it in two places. As said above. On the Bluetooth menu on the car. Tap the Bluetooth icon on the display and enable the new message sync settings.

Then on the phone, choose your car in the Bluetooth menu and also enable the message setting. Worked perfectly for us first time, current iPhones.

No issue if you do what it says.

I have done both Bluetooth settings but can only get messages coming in. iphone is running 13.3 Some other instruction (open glovebox etc) Work sometimes but not consistently.
I have reset Tesla, deleted phone and repaired phone. Could the problem be it is an old phone?