Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Xpel after 2 months of delivery on Pearl White

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Paint film will only yellow if the install's not done right. The yellowing in the past was really due to the adhesive agent. This is not supposed to be an issue anymore these days.

PPF like XPEL isn't meant for shine, but more for protection from impactful events like gravel and other small road debris. It seems a lot of people confuse it with paint coating systems like CQuartz, Opti-Coat, Modesta, Gyeon, etc.. They're complementary, but not competing paint protection systems.

From my understanding, SunTek might be a bit more clearer than XPEL. If I had to do it over again, I'd consider SunTek on my S85. Ultimately it's less about which brand is used and more about how good the installer is.

2015 Tesla P 85 New Car Detail & Clearfilm wrap (Entire Car) - Professional Detailer's Studio

Reactions: PtG62901
Paint film will only yellow if the install's not done right. The yellowing in the past was really due to the adhesive agent. This is not supposed to be an issue anymore these days.

This is not accurate. Every film yellows over time. Most do not discern the yellowing but I would place a vary large sum of money on the fact that when that film that does not look yellow is removed, you can clearly see it has yellowed to some degree.

The warranty for PPF is in place to protect owners who experience excessive yellowing or any yellowing that is discernable. There are things people can do that accelerates yellow, like using harsh cleaning products, dyed waxes, lack of proper cleaning/care, etc. But even film that is properly cared for yellows over time. 99% of people never see it unless they have a white car.

PPF is not a product that lasts the life of a car though it can last the lifetime of ownership. It will protect the paint from scratches and impacts better than any other technology on the market. But it will A) Age/Wear and B) Discolor over use and exposure.

This is not accurate. Every film yellows over time. Most do not discern the yellowing but I would place a vary large sum of money on the fact that when that film that does not look yellow is removed, you can clearly see it has yellowed to some degree.

The warranty for PPF is in place to protect owners who experience excessive yellowing or any yellowing that is discernable. There are things people can do that accelerates yellow, like using harsh cleaning products, dyed waxes, lack of proper cleaning/care, etc. But even film that is properly cared for yellows over time. 99% of people never see it unless they have a white car.

PPF is not a product that lasts the life of a car though it can last the lifetime of ownership. It will protect the paint from scratches and impacts better than any other technology on the market. But it will A) Age/Wear and B) Discolor over use and exposure.

Very cool to have someone with real knowledge share what they know. Clears up what is happening, at least to me.

Very cool to have someone with real knowledge share what they know. Clears up what is happening, at least to me.

Thank you.

Interesting. I was under the impression that the yellowing as an issue was eliminated entirely. Good thing I didn't buy white paint.

The good news is that PPF manufacturers got the warranties right. They are the biggest protection from ugly yellowing and consumers can honestly feel really good about their purchase. ;)

I was going to have xpel put on my one month old pearl white X by a well known Denver installer. He told me he no longer uses Xpel because of behind there scenes problems getting manufacturer to reimburse his shop for warranty hassles... Customers come first and all that rigamarole. So he now installs Stek and Lumar which are both products I've never heard of. Stek seems to be ppf and hydrophobic all together so no need for cquartz or other secondary coating for shine. Anyone heard of or used or other plus/minus opinion on these products? Quoted $2100 for full coverage from A pillars forward on all surfaces plus lights...seems low to me or the product price is inferior product.

I was going to have xpel put on my one month old pearl white X by a well known Denver installer. He told me he no longer uses Xpel because of behind there scenes problems getting manufacturer to reimburse his shop for warranty hassles... Customers come first and all that rigamarole. So he now installs Stek and Lumar .

I hope you misheard and he is thinking of Suntek, not Stek. If he was using quality film and wanted that for his customer he would be searching for Suntek as an alternative. If he is using a cheap chinese brand called Stek then I would be worried about this installer.

Also you have to be careful about behind the scenes problems. Did he deal direct with XPEL or a distributor. Often the face of a company is a distributor and not the company so it gets mistaken for such. A good example is here in Aus ive been told XPEL have changed distributors and people that were using it or thinking about it are looking for alternatives as they don't want to deal with that distributor (I wont say why). But that is the distributor, not XPEL (even though they made the decision lol). When you have no choice but to use a distributor that isn't great then there will be complaints and they will usually be targeted at the company rather than the distributor.

I travel a bit and talk to a lot of people in the auto industry (its my job), PPF comes up a lot and I have also researched a lot for my own cars but I personally wouldn't have anything other than XPEL or Suntek installed. If they want to use something else, make sure you check out the film installed and ensure their portfolio is good! :)

Last edited:
I hope you misheard and he is thinking of Suntek, not Stek. If he was using quality film and wanted that for his customer he would be searching for Suntek as an alternative. If he is using a cheap chinese brand called Stek then I would be worried about this installer.

Also you have to be careful about behind the scenes problems. Did he deal direct with XPEL or a distributor. Often the face of a company is a distributor and not the company so it gets mistaken for such. A good example is here in Aus ive been told XPEL have changed distributors and people that were using it or thinking about it are looking for alternatives as they don't want to deal with that distributor (I wont say why). But that is the distributor, not XPEL (even though they made the decision lol). When you have no choice but to use a distributor that isn't great then there will be complaints and they will usually be targeted at the company rather than the distributor.

I travel a bit and talk to a lot of people in the auto industry (its my job), PPF comes up a lot and I have also researched a lot for my own cars but I personally wouldn't have anything other than XPEL or Suntek installed. If they want to use something else, make sure you check out the film installed and ensure their portfolio is good! :)
Only person local to me uses 3M. He is mainly a window tinter for Commerical businesses.

Heard anything about 3M. Would you trust a tint installer?

I try was definitely Stek and with his lack of xpel I've moved on to another installer, also in Denver, who reports no issues with dealing with whoever he needs to deal with for his xpel. Now just need to find 3 days that I can be without my X for install!

Good work, its always a good idea, pretty sure warranties are clear cut so if he has had problems it could be a distributor that is a pain to deal with, not the company.

@number12 the installers around here have talked about 3M, some still use it! The newer version has been flakey and late to the market. If its too little too late then installers will stick to a tried and tested brand. See that all the time in the market I deal with, someone tried to bring out the next best thing, but installers are already happy with what they use and know.

We may see a growth again of 3M here, or even other brands, again due to what I mentioned about the XPEL distributor though. It seems the 3 main trades that get into PPF are. Tint shops, Car detailers and Vinyl Wrap shops as it fits in with their business lines (protection).

Anyone can install it but not everyone can install it right. Always check out their portfolio as the types of cars they get is a good sign of quality (or not). Also if you can see an install that is good to. They should be open and honest about what to expect.

As long as he is using the newest version of 3M and is a good installer then no issues. Its always hard to know why one place aligns themselves to a certain product e.g better discounts, cant get certified etc.

+1...well-said JC

I picked up my Pearl White 2 months back. I am thinking of getting Xpel on it. Usually, I have read on these forums that people get it right after delivery. My questions are as below:

1. Does it make sense to get it done after 2 months now?

2. Does Xpel give a new glow/shine to the car?

3. I read that once the Xpel starts coming out, the Pearl White for some reason starts to look a bit yellowish. Is that accurate?

1. The sooner you install ppf, the better. When client calls us and want tint, nano coating, paint correction, and ppf, but have a budget they need to stay around, we usually have them do ppf first, then come back for the other stuff. Reason being, once you get a chip, that's it...short of touch up or repaint, nothing else will fix it. So, even if you have little chips, have installer touch them up to get a little color in it, then wrap it

2. XPEL has a great gloss to it and the effects can dramatically be increased to mimic the actual paint once you nano coat it. This further protects the film to retain gloss and reduces yellowing

3. Depending on which film you choose, you WILL notice a slight bit of yellowing no matter what brand. Out of the roll for example, XPEL is slightly yellower than Suntek. Hence why if a client is after the aesthetics, we recommend Suntek on lighter cars. You do give up a little durability by doing that, as XPEL is about 1 mil thicker than Suntek. On paper it's different, but in real-life measured with our paint meter, the difference was around 1 mil.

A little clarifying....XPEL vs Suntek...many have mentioned orange peel being the trade off for durability with XPEL. I use to explain it that way as well. It's the texture or grain - definition, not orange peel

THIS IS SIMPLY MY INTERPRETATION AND OBSERVATION - It's not orange peel so much as it is definition. For example, if you look at the reflection of a tree and its leaves and branches, here's what you should notice:

For sake of this conversation, we'll assume we're looking at the hood, focal point, tree, branches, and leaves, are in the center portion of hood. You're slightly bent and head is looking left towards the nose of the hood.

1. Paint without any film - clear definition of tree, branches, and leaves. This will vary depending on the angle you tilt your head or move around.

2. Paint with Suntek - clear definition of tree, and SEMI-clear definition of branches and leaves

3. Paint with XPEL - tree, branches, and leaves visible...but pixilated...like a photo you zoom in on that isn't high in megapixels

DISCLAIMER - In the past few months, we have noticed our XPEL films being NOTICEABLY clearer and less yellow. So much so, that it's been tough to decipher which roll is Suntek and which is XPEL. Only way we've been able to tell is by the smell of adhesive and under our lights in our clear bra installation room. But outside in the sun, the two are near indistinguishable. More of our clients that are persnickety about the looks are now able to choose the more protective film that is now clearer and less yellow.

Hope this helps a little for those deciding what to do and what to apply.

As always, can't say this enough...installer is the key to the equation...don't get so hung up on the film and warranty...the guy/gal behind the squeegee and blade are what you're REALLY paying for.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: acarlos1000
I try was definitely Stek and with his lack of xpel I've moved on to another installer, also in Denver, who reports no issues with dealing with whoever he needs to deal with for his xpel. Now just need to find 3 days that I can be without my X for install!

I think you will definitely be very happy with the STEK film. It is infused with a nano coating that not only creates a very slick and easy to clean surface, but it does also seals the film making contamination easy to clean thus preventing yellowing.

Regards,

John Kleven

I was going to have xpel put on my one month old pearl white X by a well known Denver installer. He told me he no longer uses Xpel because of behind there scenes problems getting manufacturer to reimburse his shop for warranty hassles... Customers come first and all that rigamarole. So he now installs Stek and Lumar which are both products I've never heard of. Stek seems to be ppf and hydrophobic all together so no need for cquartz or other secondary coating for shine. Anyone heard of or used or other plus/minus opinion on these products? Quoted $2100 for full coverage from A pillars forward on all surfaces plus lights...seems low to me or the product price is inferior product.

We have tested Stek and this film yellowed in just 3 months time for us. We put films to test and this one definitely did not stand up well. This company reminds us of the many copies from Asia. Notice the "Stek" compared to Suntek - only off by 2 letters. Reminds of "Nire" for Nike or "Fuma" for Puma in China.

I had Xpel installed on my 90D. Covered the entire front end (bumper, headlights, entire hood, front fenders back to door, support post between windshield/front door window, and both rearview windows), along with the threshold to all four doors and back hatch. The day after installation, a small number of tiny buckles appeared along the edges of extremely curved surfaces (like rearview mirrors). The installer returned promptly and resolved the issue quickly. I do not recommend coverage of half the hood. This often will create dirt/wax line that will be visible. My entire hood is covered with the edges curled under so that no lines are visible.

Xpel is great. You cannot tell the difference between the areas with and without treatment. Color and texture appear identical. It stops rock damage and is easier to remove bug guts from the large flat area (bug graveyard) on the front bumper.