TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

XPEL and sensors

Discussion in 'Model 3: Interior & Exterior' started by steilkurve, Aug 19, 2018.

1. steilkurve

steilkurve Member

Has anybody fully wrapped their 3 with XPEL and does it have any impact on the ultrasonic sensors all around the car? Thanks.

2. dek526

dek526 Member

of the few cars i’ve seen...installers always hand cut the xpel so that they aren’t covered

3. CuriousM3

CuriousM3 Member

On my bmw m3 , I have xpel wrapped over the sensor with no issue

4. steilkurve

steilkurve Member

But the sensors are not all visible are they? I believe they would be wrapping over some of them, no? I get the ones on the bumpers are visible but aren't some behind the metal on the sides, like on the X's FWD?

5. NewTMSMan

NewTMSMan Member

Where I have seen this done, the sensors are either hand cut or the template printed has cut outs.

6. steilkurve

steilkurve Member

For sure. I think that’s standard procedure and for the sensors on the bumpers, a non issue. I just thought Teslas had sensors behind the metal sheets on the side. If so, would it be a problem for these? Or maybe I’m just confusing with the sensors in the falcon wing doors on the X.

7. MXWing

MXWing Active Member

On a matte type install, it would be very noticeable if you did not have complete coverage.

It SHOULD be fine to cover them?

Problem with cutouts is you remove the entire point of wrapped edges. You have multiple circular vectors that allow for the film to lift and trap dirt.

8. Rockster

Rockster Active Member

My Model 3 has a complete wrap and the sensors function perfectly.

• Informative x 1
  9. steilkurve

steilkurve Member

Thanks. If you ever had photos. Be curious to see.

10. favo

favo Model P3D+ ordered

My XPEL installer told me their template has cutouts for the ultrasonic sensors in the front bumper. I am only doing front, so not sure about the other sensors.

11. steilkurve

steilkurve Member

Ditto. Called one that is highly recommended in these parts and says that they never wrap sensors and that their templates do have cut outs. It’s also making me reconsider doing a stealth wrap as it means there will be those littles round things that aren’t matte.

12. Zythryn

Zythryn M3 Silver, M3 Midnight Silver

Not XPEL, however I have a full vinyl wrap without any cutouts. Sensors have been working perfectly.

13. steilkurve

steilkurve Member

Good to hear. No issues in terms of bubbling on are around the sensors? Installer said it didn’t do a good job to wrap above things that are not flat and even.

14. Zythryn

Haven’t had any bubbling around the sensors. It has been about 6 weeks.

15. steilkurve

steilkurve Member

Good to hear. What if Tesla needs to replace one?

16. Zythryn

That is the danger of a graphic wrap, or any other wrap. If a part needs replacing, the wrap needs to be redone on the new piece.

17. steilkurve

steilkurve Member

For sure I’d expect that after bumper or door panel damage but hopefully that is a rare occurrence. Replacing a piece of tech like sensors on a bleeding edge car like Tesla is more likely.