Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Xpel full front + tint

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had my Model S Xpel wrapped at Autoskinz in Valencia. They originally quoted $1,595 for full front...may be more for a Model X though. It's also more for the custom wrap where they cut their own pieces and wrap around the panels. Ended up wrapping a whole lot more, basically every painted surface except the A-C pillar and the trunk lid was custom wrapped for $4,000 total. I'm very happy with the results.

Got my 3M Crystalline tint done there too. Got every window done except the roof. Windshield, small wedge windows forward of the front doors, all 4 doors, small windows behind rear doors and back window. 10 surfaces in all for I think $1,200.

They also do seamless tint on the side windows there. Basically they tint a bit past the edge then carefully file down the tint to the very edge of the window so it doesn't look like there's a seam at all. Here's a pic of the edge work.
IMG_3703.JPG

Not a perfect apples - apples cost comparison but hopefully gives you an idea.

I had full front xpel (pre-cut film) $1800, don't let them cut the film on your car.
3M crystalline, $400 full windshield, $200 side front.

BTW, I had 3M crystalline on my windshield and I hated it and got them removed back to factory. The reflection from the film and the tint (darkness) from the film rains the helicopter windshield openness feel for me.

I ended up, tinting all of my other windows (including sunroof) with crystalline except for my windshield and it works out great in terms of heat rejection..

a bunch of folks on TMC have recommended & installed (including yours truly) photosync (lighest tint) on the windshield. we did it in hopes of reducing ghosting, & it seems to have reduced the effect by ~ 50%.
wish I would have taken before and after pic's.

Why Tesla's Model X Is Giving Some Drivers Double Vision

All lights refracts at the angel of the window making it seem like you're seeing double vision. Ghost vision=double vision during night time driving.
yea there are several threads on it here. at 1st - tesla reps would just look at you dumb founded like they couldn't figure out what's wrong with you. Then as the dozens became hundred, and probably 1,000's now - they finall had to come out and admit it .... "sorry ... it's normal"
:D

yea there are several threads on it here. at 1st - tesla reps would just look at you dumb founded like they couldn't figure out what's wrong with you. Then as the dozens became hundred, and probably 1,000's now - they finall had to come out and admit it .... "sorry ... it's normal"
:D

never thought i'd hear that word 'normal' thrown used anywhere near my direction.
;)

For Xpel full front protection, I got quotes ranging from $1400 to $2450 in SoCal areas. Feel free to PM me if you want to know the details. I will be getting mine installed next week.

For window tint, I was looking to have the windshield done in one piece. There's not many shops that can do the job in one piece. Extreme Autowerks in Cerritos is one I'm considering to install Spectra PhotoSync, cost of $895.

What is best window tint for model x windshield for heat reduction?
this question is like asking who's the greatest rock band, or who's the greatest fighter, etc. I don't necessarily know from Shinola who makes the best window tint. But as I understand it - XpeL is a type of ceramic tint film? after checking - one notes there are different manufacturers of ceramic types.
before deciding on photosync, I found this video where an installer shows (via instrumentation) the amount of heat rejection difference of ceramic tint (on the Porsche) versus heat rejection of photo sync on the Nissan Leaf. Plenty of comparison videos on line.

These are what sold us, as well as other tesla X owners. Still, like I said, I don't know Shinola between the differences - but it's working for us, and we definitely notice the difference in products by sitting in cars that have the different products.
good luck on whichever product you choose!

a bunch of folks on TMC have recommended & installed (including yours truly) photosync (lighest tint) on the windshield. we did it in hopes of reducing ghosting, & it seems to have reduced the effect by ~ 50%.
wish I would have taken before and after pic's.

We had the ghosting on our 2 Model Xs. The P90DL we took delivery back in Feb 2016 (sub 1k vin) and the ghosting was horrible. My significant other hated driving the car at night because it gave her a headache. When we got the car back after all the service issues, we had the windshield done with Photosync and the ghosting was nearly all gone. However, we had more problems with the falcon wings and other parts of the car that Tesla bought the car back from us. Got into our P100D in Jan 2017 and it still has the ghosting problems on the windshield. Same with this car we did Photosync and most of it went away. I highly rec this tint.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: scottf200 and hill
Feb 2016 would necessarily be AP1.
what's most intriguing to me is if Model X owners are able to cobble together a ½arsed solution for ghosting via photo sync, how is it that Tesla can't figure something out like this - their self ... afaik, all photosync is, is a polarizing-type film .... and if that's capable of helping ...
imo, M3 is the cause .... all available resources are directed to its ramp-up.

Feb 2016 would necessarily be AP1.
what's most intriguing to me is if Model X owners are able to cobble together a ½arsed solution for ghosting via photo sync, how is it that Tesla can't figure something out like this - their self ... afaik, all photosync is, is a polarizing-type film .... and if that's capable of helping ...
imo, M3 is the cause .... all available resources are directed to its ramp-up.

Tesla told me it's normal and sent a tech out to drive the car with me so I can point this out. Unfortunately the drive was during daytime so its not nearly as noticeable compared to night. Oncoming car's lights, traffic lights and even the tailights of cars ahead are annoying to look at.