Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Xpel in NoVA?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just picking up new 90D MX next week at Tyco/Tysons!
Anybody have experience with Xpel and Opticoat in NoVA and have recommendations?
Thanks.

I've been shopping around as I'm scheduled to get my X around the end of the month or early August. I've narrowed it down to two places, Speedfreaks Detailing (Chantilly) and Automotive Quality Solutions (Ashburn). Both are highly rated, but offer different brands of wraps. Speedfreaks offers SunTek and AQS offers Xpel, but both do Opti Coat Pro Plus.

Let me know if you have any other questions. If you get yours done before mine, would love to see some pictures.

Congrats and good luck with your delivery! :)

Last edited:
Xpel is a bit textured, it works well for installers that may not be quite comfortable doing a perfect job (the texture hides defects). If you want the best, my suggestion would be to go with ClearGuard Nano SR with a qualified and well referenced installer. There is a huge difference in the quality of installations so make sure you go with someone who has extensive experience with Tesla and as to see their work on actual cars.

Xpel is a bit textured, it works well for installers that may not be quite comfortable doing a perfect job (the texture hides defects). If you want the best, my suggestion would be to go with ClearGuard Nano SR with a qualified and well referenced installer. There is a huge difference in the quality of installations so make sure you go with someone who has extensive experience with Tesla and as to see their work on actual cars.

Do you know an installer in the Northern Virginia area that does ClearGuard? I can't seem to find even an official installer network, been searching online. Agreed 100% with the recommendation of going with someone who has extensive experience w/ Teslas. Thanks in advance!

I've used TLC as well, they are ok, but Dan at D&D does an amazing job and his shop is amazing. They do photo shoots for the dealer cars and have a clean room for applying Opticoat and a separate washing bay (they recycle the water through a filtering system)
Once you car is done they bring you in for delivery/ visual inspection in the photo room - it has LED lights in the floor, ceiling and walls and allows you to see every detail... pretty amazing.

When I get my P100D, I will have Tesla drop ship it to Dan before I even drive it for his full treatment. His paint correction process was meticulous - I am definitely OCD and so is Dan!

Unfortunately the white P85 got re-ended this week and needs a new rear cover - I am going to see if Dan will do the work. (thank god for the hitch - it shredded the other car!!! and saved my hatch from damage)

Check out the videos and the size of their shop! D&D Auto Detailing in Northern Virginia

• Informative
Reactions: bhzmark
@Xenoilphobe and @XHokie -- I am torn between D&D (AQS) and SpeedFreaks with respect to applying Opti Coat Pro +. D&D is offering to do the job for $1300, while SpeedFreaks wants $1800. The latter made some disparaging comments about D&D, stating that D&D has only been doing Opti for 3 years whereas SpeedFreaks has done it since inception.

If either of you could share your experiences with these vendors and provide info to help me decide, I would be greatly appreciative.

THanks in advance!

My recommendation would still be to at least talk to Dave at TLC and see what he would be willing to do for a similar price range and based on what you want. However, if you really are sold on the OptiCoat Pro+, and are not getting the vehicle wrapped (i.e. Xpel or some other wrap), then I would go with Dan and AQS. I have used Dan in the past for other vehicles I previously owned and he is honest, does a great job. While SpeedFreaks seems like they would do a good job...I trust Dan/AQS more based strictly on experience of working with him previously.

Good luck @Allante! Let me know what you decide to do and how it goes.

Reactions: Xenoilphobe
@XHokie and @Xenoilphone,

Here is some additional info re AQS and Speedfreak. AQS is charging $1300 for Opti Pro +, but this does not include paint correction. Dan insists that on new vehicles, minimal paint correction is needed, and he may do some minor correction, which he will assess on a case-by-case basis. Regardless, before applying Opti, his procedure is to wash, clay, wax, and prime the surface. Dan explains that unnecessary paint correction does nothing to add gloss, shine, or longevity. Separately, Dan uses heat lamps to cure Opti, something no one else does. Apparently, this results in a harder, more durable finish.

Speedfreak, on the other hand, is charging $1800. Brian insists that a full paint correction is needed.

TLC uses Modesta only. LIke Speedfreak, Dave insists that a full paint correction is needed, and is charging $2000.

I am leaning towards AQS. Do either of you believe that an extra $500 is worth it for paint correction on a brand-new vehicle? I can live with a few swirls. I am price sensitive and a few hundred dollars is meaningful to me, unless there is a very clear and direct ROI on that additional outlay.

Smart man - better facility, better process, lower price.

You won't see a single swirl on the car - Dan is totally OCD, wait until you see the delivery "stage" when you pick it up - he has you inspect the car in their clean room with High Power LED's everywhere - he'll do a photo shoot too if you ask him.

Smart man - better facility, better process, lower price.

You won't see a single swirl on the car - Dan is totally OCD, wait until you see the delivery "stage" when you pick it up - he has you inspect the car in their clean room with High Power LED's everywhere - he'll do a photo shoot too if you ask him.

Thanks Xenoilphone -- you made my decision easy and I feel very comfortable with it. AQS it is.

When do you get your P100D? My X arrives on Oct. 4, and its going straight to AQS right after I have the rims swapped. Do you know if he does tire/wheel work as well (mounting and balancing)?

Sorry for the late response here, but I definitely agree with @Xenoilphobe and your logic. I don't think the extra $$$ are worth it and I do not believe complete/total paint correction is needed; just where the factory wasn't as precise or may have messed up (Tesla seems to be pretty good about applying their paint, but other manufacturers not so much). I do think doing a full "detox" wash and fine detail of the exterior is very important before applying any coating or wrap...and all reputable places should do that. Again, that's why for me it came down to TLC and AQS...and what made the difference for me, and why I went with TLC, was the quality/type of wrap they used. Again, I have worked with AQS and Dave in the past, highly recommend them and agree his is very OCD about quality and their workmanship. I don't think you can go wrong...saving several hundred bucks to boot is just icing on the cake. :)

Sorry for the late response here, but I definitely agree with @Xenoilphobe and your logic. I don't think the extra $$$ are worth it and I do not believe complete/total paint correction is needed; just where the factory wasn't as precise or may have messed up (Tesla seems to be pretty good about applying their paint, but other manufacturers not so much). I do think doing a full "detox" wash and fine detail of the exterior is very important before applying any coating or wrap...and all reputable places should do that. Again, that's why for me it came down to TLC and AQS...and what made the difference for me, and why I went with TLC, was the quality/type of wrap they used. Again, I have worked with AQS and Dave in the past, highly recommend them and agree his is very OCD about quality and their workmanship. I don't think you can go wrong...saving several hundred bucks to boot is just icing on the cake. :)

Thanks XHokie. AQS it is!

I am going to use the $500 savings and spend it on wrapping the seatbacks in an ultra white vinyl to match my seats. Looks so much more spacious and aesthetically convincing than the glossy black plastic.