Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

XPel, Opticoat etc. alternative for cheapos

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i paint corrected mine and did full XPEL on the front (you can't even tell its wrapped at all), and then did two coats of 22PLE over the entire vehicle. 65k miles later when I went into the service center the guy was astonished and said I have the best looking car that he's seen come through there. basically flawless like it's still brand new. that speaks a lot for the coatings...and 22ple shines like crazy. highly recommend....

On our recent road trip, came back with a few small rock chips in the paint on the hood. A small part of me regrets not getting the front done with xpel... my wife was rubbing it in too with "I told you so"

(Yes I know I can get it paint corrected and wrapped still, but now that it's had it's first scratch, it's no longer "new", so whatever...)

On our recent road trip, came back with a few small rock chips in the paint on the hood. A small part of me regrets not getting the front done with xpel... my wife was rubbing it in too with "I told you so"

(Yes I know I can get it paint corrected and wrapped still, but now that it's had it's first scratch, it's no longer "new", so whatever...)

Wow how long was the road trip?

Crap! Sounds like the paint is made of poultice.

Yeah, I thought maybe it's just dirt/scuffs, and some of them were, but 2 of them made it through the clear-coat and through the blue paint (I can feel it with my fingers, not even my fingernails). They're VERY small, but I can see and feel them.

The car is now no longer new, I no longer need to park at the far end of the parking lot! :p

Hometheatremaven - saw your thread. I think xpel paid off for you.
However, the probability of getting a dent, that XPel can protect, is slim to none.
When you get a dent, you get a dent. You don't get a 0.2" slight dent.
And most dents, xpel will not protect against.

Now rock chips, yes that I will agree with. Nothing will protect against rock chips except xpel, except perhaps not driving the car :)

However, the probability of getting a dent, that XPel can protect, is slim to none.
When you get a dent, you get a dent. You don't get a 0.2" slight dent.
And most dents, xpel will not protect against.

It seems you have your blinders on, but consider runaway shopping carts, tight parking spaces etc. There are lots of ways to get slight dents.

Xpel might not protect against more serious dents, but it sure as heck can protect against a very expensive paint job.

20150629_164343.jpg

I'm sure xpel would've protected this

I'm too cheap to get the full xpel, but I regret not spending the $800-$1200 for just the front.

Those are deep, the pic didn't do it justice.

Now that it's scratched, eh, whatever. But if I got it oriGinally, I probably wouldn't be as disappointed.

Ok I guess I'll get the tip covered then. Blah!
The rear end is still going to be polished by me.

I didn't mean to convince you to do it, I'm just starting my... observation. I have no regret about the 70D or the features I chose, but I was sure the paint was fine, until it wasn't...

I think NOTHING protects from rock chips like Xpel or similar.
Still, the opticoat etc. that people get, I think that is replacable with some hardwork.

In the end, I decided to get my 2013 with 32k miles fully filmed. If it was new, I would do just the front end + side mirrors and maybe the rear bumper, then OptiCoat or cQuartz the entire thing. But with my vehicles age, the paint correction isn't worth it for partial protection. I get wrapped next week.

Something else to consider with paint protection film - I've been told that if your car gets keyed, the film will likely take all the damage. Replace the film and you're back to a fresh start. I haven't witnessed that sort of damage yet, but seems plausible.