Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

XPel or 3M or other?

XPel or ClearBra?

• XPel ultimate baby!

Votes: 10 43.5%
  • 3M product is the way to go

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • I'd use something different

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • You don't need no stinkin protection

Votes: 4 17.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

computerchuck

Supporting Member
Apr 20, 2017
Utah
Just purchased a used P90D and would like to protect the hood, doors, and side mirrors. I'd love to hear the community's thoughts on this topic. What did your research and eventual installation show you? What where lessons learned?

Thanks everyone. You guys are great.

best,
Chuck

Based on previous threads here, and having spoken to car folks in real life, my impression is the majority recommends XPEL.

The real question is will you spring money for paint correction prior to XPEL application?

Paint correction is a must before applying Xpel. Yes, the entire process is pricey, but well worth it based on the protection. Nearly full Xpel and CQuartz Finest was a $5k expense, but the car absolutely shines and is so easy to clean. Just do it....as soon as you can after delivery. Trust me, the peacock I hit with my car slid right off the Xpel. I might have killed the thing with my bare hands otherwise.

A really good installer will first look very carefully at your particular car's paint and recommend the best match protective film brand.
My installer showed me why... "gloss is gloss" but 3m and xpel have slightly different gloss texture (smoothness). On certain colors of cars, it matters more.

Lesson here is look at the sheen really carefully and decide for yourself if you want a film that mimics the car's paint finish.

It protects against more than just rock chips. When I was at my installers shop he showed me a Model X that had been keyed, but the key did not go through the Xpel. The Xpel had to be replaced, but that's a lot better than having to repaint.
It also makes your car easier to clean.