Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

XPEL Paint Protection Film, Ceramic Coating and Tint

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got my car back from detailing. This included paint-correction, Xpel PPF, CQuartz ceramic coating, and some tinting. The windshield is 70%, so still legal, while the side windows in the front now match the back. You can't see it in these photos, but they also put a matte wrap over the shiny, piano-black center console. And there's one thing that you can't see because they're not there anymore: the Tesla badges.

The work was done by Darien Detail, and I'm overall pretty happy. It's hard to show in these photos just how slick and shiny the car is now, but it looks amazing in bright light.

View attachment 587604 View attachment 587605 View attachment 587606
Looks great!

That is glossyyyyyy. Looks great!
It's a red-tinted mirror. You can see me in the pictures.

I did run into two problems, which the detailer acknowledged and will be fixing. First, the spoiler is a little loose on one side: needs more glue. Second, as with another MY they worked on, the side mirrors need a redo.

They stand behind their work, so I'm fine with it.

Reactions: DennyL
It's a red-tinted mirror. You can see me in the pictures.

I did run into two problems, which the detailer acknowledged and will be fixing. First, the spoiler is a little loose on one side: needs more glue. Second, as with another MY they worked on, the side mirrors need a redo.

They stand behind their work, so I'm fine with it.
is your side mirrors fully wrapped or partially? I think that is probably why mines is partially wrapped.

Reactions: Electric Steve
Took mines in the redo PPF on hood that was replaced by Tesla and finish up tint, there was several other MY being worked on. There was a Red PUP getting full PPF as well. Auto Armour seem to always keeping busy because quality of their work. They finished up a Lamborghini as well! Check it out! Of course mines parked next to it.

@AutoArmour

Lamborghini PPF

a3g8raj.jpg

Last edited:
PPF protects the paint for many years. The ceramic coating keeps road grit, dirt and other kinds of grime from settling into either the paint top coat or PPF. This makes it much easier to wash and keep clean. Likewise it seals the paint top coat or PPF from oxidation and aging better than wax ever will, and for a much longer period. However it will only last about 2 years or so before needing to be reapplied.
Okay so if you have PPF then isn't it protecting from grim and grit?

DennyL this is really helpful, thank you for all of the posts. I had my red M3 wrapped and coated somewhere else last year, they did an amazing job, but I was checking out Auto Armour since its closer to me and this seems like their specialty.

This is my first color change wrap for a MY, this time in MSM. How does the color selection process work? I know Xpel has quite a few options, and I want to go matte or something unique.

Okay so if you have PPF then isn't it protecting from grim and grit?
It does but think of it has wearing sunscreen. You have your skin, your PPF that protects everything but an additional layer of protection from bird poop, dust, tar, etc, just makes your life easier as well as protects the expensive PPF.

Seems weird, that's how I felt but it does help.

DennyL this is really helpful, thank you for all of the posts. I had my red M3 wrapped and coated somewhere else last year, they did an amazing job, but I was checking out Auto Armour since its closer to me and this seems like their specialty.

This is my first color change wrap for a MY, this time in MSM. How does the color selection process work? I know Xpel has quite a few options, and I want to go matte or something unique.
Totally up to you. What ever color you choose it will be custom cut. Austin or his partner will be able to guide through the entire process like he did with my initial questions to getting it installed. My process was easy because I went with clear bra. If its not clear bra, just little longer for installation because they have to fully cover all paint surfaces.

Reactions: JohnInSanDiego
This morning I sprayed my M3 with water, that’s it just took the dust off it as it sits outside, wiped it dry, good as new. That’s what a good Ceramic Coating will do for ya. Makes washing your car great again. Feynlab CC whole car and Feynlab Fusion CC over the PPF.

Fred

It is pretty amazing to see the difference. We are so used to seeing "product demonstrations" that end up not reality that it is surprising when the ceramic coatings really do match the videos.

Reactions: DennyL
I just finished mine with Xpel Stealth PPF. Some tint. Powder-coated the Überturbine wheels glossy black along with the 'T's'View attachment 595496 View attachment 595497 View attachment 595498 View attachment 595499
Looks amazing! Our MY is supposed to be delivered in December Black/Black LR. Yours might be the 1st black one I've seen in socal. Still debating on full wrap or not but leaning towards paint correction, Xpel wrap of the full front and rocker panel, and ceramic. Still have a truck to fix up :)

Reactions: Kbonay