Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Xpel paint protection/Opticoat

What kind of wrap are you getting for your car?

• Xpel or similar

• Opticoat or similar

• Both

• None

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Probably not the right sub-forum, but I will post it here as I want to hear from people who are picking up their Tesla and also from people who have had it for a while.

Are you planning to get any form of paint protection and/or Opticoat for your new car?

Also for people who have had their car for a while, do you regret not getting it?

• Helpful
Reactions: PinkGasT
No regrets on getting opticoat done! I had it done to my wife's new car almost three years ago and it still keeps the paint protected and is much easier to clean up. Had it done for our Tesla, which I bought used, and it really improved the finish on the car which needed some TLC. Highly recommend opti done by a good detail shop.

Reactions: justg0
My 2013 Red did great. 55,000 miles.
I know this is terrible ...
I automatic car washed the car.
Looked great when I traded in.

That's great. But I got a big rock chip on the hood in 5 days. It's white base under the black paint, so it just stands out. That made the decision for me. I have my car currently in for xpel full front, fenders, door handles, rear bumper and opticoat pro. It will set me back about $2400, but I don't have to worry about this anymore. Will get it back tomorrow.

That's great. But I got a big rock chip on the hood in 5 days. It's white base under the black paint, so it just stands out. That made the decision for me. I have my car currently in for xpel full front, fenders, door handles, rear bumper and opticoat pro. It will set me back about $2400, but I don't have to worry about this anymore. Will get it back tomorrow.

Congrats,
I'm just not into hand washing the car.
Yes "The Tesla"
I found this out the hard way. I had my 2015 Xpel in front and opticoated.
Hated it ...
I don't like a dirty car but I hate hand washing it even more!

Reactions: Pollux
In the warranty you can't use automatic car wash. I think it's the XPel since its a clear wrap.

I really HATED all of the hand car washing.
Yes I know about the different bucket car wash techniques.
I know "it sounds like a personal problem" ...
Yeah. I understand that. I have already resigned my self to the fact that I will need to hand wash once I decide to get black color. I am going to find a decent hand wash place and get it done once a month. Don't have the time or patience to do it myself anymore.

Reactions: RacerX
Probably not the right sub-forum, but I will post it here as I want to hear from people who are picking up their Tesla and also from people who have had it for a while.

Are you planning to get any form of paint protection and/or Opticoat for your new car?

Also for people who have had their car for a while, do you regret not getting it?
Yes...cost is a factor but I feel the need to protect this investment.

2013 P85+ - OptiCoat everywhere, then on top of that full-body Xpel Ultimate. Very happy with the results.

2016 P100D - Full-body Xpel Ultimate everywhere except parts of the B pillars, where two new hi-def cameras live. Ceramic Pro layered over that (extra layers for the B pillars); Ceramic Pro makes the surface too slippery to put on first, the Xpel won't be able to stay on top of it. Only a week or so with this combination but so far very happy with the results.

Apart from my own below-average driving skills, there is just too much crap in the roads and from up above to live without the Xpel on this expensive vehicle that requires aluminum auto-body shop skills and prices. Compared to aluminum body work, I've saved quite a bit of money by replacing pieces of Xpel due to rips, snags, tears, light scratches, small impacts, and so on, that otherwise would have marred the paintwork or even made a small dent.

I strongly recommend the Xpel. I've never been 100% sure what the chemical coatings really do for me in the real world as opposed to what the manufacturers tout, but obviously I've paid twice now in the belief/hope that something good is happening (OptiCoat, Ceramic Pro).

Alan

Reactions: Ahisaac
2013 P85+ - OptiCoat everywhere, then on top of that full-body Xpel Ultimate. Very happy with the results.

2016 P100D - Full-body Xpel Ultimate everywhere except parts of the B pillars, where two new hi-def cameras live. Ceramic Pro layered over that (extra layers for the B pillars); Ceramic Pro makes the surface too slippery to put on first, the Xpel won't be able to stay on top of it. Only a week or so with this combination but so far very happy with the results.

Apart from my own below-average driving skills, there is just too much crap in the roads and from up above to live without the Xpel on this expensive vehicle that requires aluminum auto-body shop skills and prices. Compared to aluminum body work, I've saved quite a bit of money by replacing pieces of Xpel due to rips, snags, tears, light scratches, small impacts, and so on, that otherwise would have marred the paintwork or even made a small dent.

I strongly recommend the Xpel. I've never been 100% sure what the chemical coatings really do for me in the real world as opposed to what the manufacturers tout, but obviously I've paid twice now in the belief/hope that something good is happening (OptiCoat, Ceramic Pro).

Alan

I got full front xpel and opticoat pro. Very happy with the results so far.