Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

XPEL Prime XR?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am in San Antonio. Xpel is in the process of moving to a new location near UTSA. I was recently at their old location and was comparing the XPEL Prime XR versus the Plus version. Originally after purchase I planned to go back to Spectra Photosync which I had on my S, but the XPEL Prime XR Plus well outperforms it for heat rejection. I have been thinking of doing windshield with lightest and then tint on top and all around. I had tried Spectra Photosync on my windshield in my S in the past and the installer had a lot of difficulty getting a clean install and had to try multiple attempts. In the end the install was not optimal left with several visible defects, I chock that up to installer inexperience and high slope angle of the Model S. The Model 3 windshield appears much smaller, left severely sloped and more accessible.

I own a tint shop in Hawaii (20 years) and have done about 19 model 3’s. There definitely is a reason for the high price of tinting a Model 3. The labor is a huge component. The waste is also another component. That rear window needs to be pulled from a 60” roll, and leaves a 15”x55” piece of film; which is barely useable unless I get a bunch of Miatas/Porsche’s. I typically charge 420 for a model 3 with Solar Gard Ultra Performance or Madico Black Pearl Ceramic; windshields add $160 with Wincos 90. I’ve read some really high quotes on this thread, and I think it’s mostly due to the initial rush of the vehicle, and the shock of the back window. As an installer, it seems impossible at first touch. I believe that someone said they paid $1,000 for suntek and I think that’s crazy. I ordered a few rolls and am not convinced with that product. It’s really cheap too. I do have some XPEL XR black and XR plus ready to test out in my shop. The film looks beautiful.
I used to sell Ultra Performance. I switched to XR Black and XR Prime Plus a little over a year ago. Never looked back. Better clarity, better performance, and easier to work with.

I used to sell Ultra Performance. I switched to XR Black and XR Prime Plus a little over a year ago. Never looked back. Better clarity, better performance, and easier to work with.
Yeah I just installed XR plus on my vehicle. Looking out of the glass it’s a total different look. It does feel like it rejecting more heat. I need to make a sample glass with XR plus and XR black on it. In my honest opinion the XR Black is a nicer looking film vs the XR Plus

97FBEB8B-57EA-47E0-A8BF-52AE8DAC61F0.jpeg
Just want to share a pic of a Model X I tinted today. I used Xpel XR ceramic black, 35%. Too bad the white seats are making the windows appear lighter.

Reactions: CrazyCoconut
I know this thread if for the Model 3, but has anyone had any experience with XRPlus installed on outside of the Model S all glass roof for heat rejection? The Model 3 rear window is similair to the Model S window and roof. Has anybody measured difference in heat transmission into car?

I have experienced that the tinted windshield still radiates heat inside, as the sun is entering through the glass, heating it, and then being reflected back again, not reducing the heat from radiation. If it could be stopped before heating the glass, as in an outside tint, I would think that it would be more effective. Anybody with any data to support or reject this theory???

The window film is not designed to be applied on the outside. It isn't durable enough to handle it. It would get scratched and torn very easily.

They do make special window film that can go on the outside of buildings like skylights, but they don't have a very long lifespan and nearly never get cleaned.

Your theory has a nice concept but it simply hasnt been developed yet.

Quoted $749 for XR+ ($549 for XR Black) for sides and one piece rear window and additional $399 for windshield and sunroof. Has anyone had their windshield done? Seems to me it would be a waste of money since there is already a coating on it, but wanted to hear others opinions. Leaning towards the XR Black at this point

I had my windshield done but then almost immediately went on vacation. Car is sitting in my garage getting a nice cure time :p 70%, i hardly noticed a difference in darkness levels. Drove only midday and the heat seemed better from my informal test of putting my hand near the glass inside.

Quoted $749 for XR+ ($549 for XR Black) for sides and one piece rear window and additional $399 for windshield and sunroof. Has anyone had their windshield done? Seems to me it would be a waste of money since there is already a coating on it, but wanted to hear others opinions. Leaning towards the XR Black at this point
With 70% XR on the front windshield, the heat reduction is very noticeable on a hot sunny day.

Does anyone have any images of what XR (not plus) looks like from the inside? I think I want to do 20% all-around but I don't it to be crazy dark inside. I found this video that has 20% and from the inside, it looks amazing. Just wondering if it's tint brand specific or "all" ceramic tints.