Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

XPEL Prime XR?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some finished pics ...tinted and lowered
Tint : Elite glass tinting , Newtown Pa
Eibach springs : installed AudioWorks Newark De

Attachments

• 585E6EBB-0222-489A-87DC-0C1E515B6F39.jpeg
    585E6EBB-0222-489A-87DC-0C1E515B6F39.jpeg
    425.2 KB · Views: 414
  • CD284205-CB2D-4371-9DDE-623F6D334E79.jpeg
    CD284205-CB2D-4371-9DDE-623F6D334E79.jpeg
    398 KB · Views: 352
Reactions: XLR82XS
Dumb question. does anyone know if xpel xr prime is applied on the exterior or interior?

I saw some promo video and it show them applying the tint on the exterior of the back window, and recommend using the xr prime. So I’m a bit confused.

here’s a video I found it really looks like they are installing the film on the exterior ??

He is just using a heat gun to shape and mold the film to fit the exact shape of the window. This is a common practice. But if you notice later in the video, when he actually applies the tint, the back of the SUV is open and he is clearly adhering the film to the inside.

He is just using a heat gun to shape and mold the film to fit the exact shape of the window. This is a common practice. But if you notice later in the video, when he actually applies the tint, the back of the SUV is open and he is clearly adhering the film to the inside.

Thanks , that make ls a lot more sense.

I have Prime XR. Clarity is great and heat rejection works well in the south Florida sun.
Nice, I’m planning to get that when spring comes. thinking about 35% for the doors and 50% for the back. Don’t want to dark out the roof glass too much. I’m in Ontario Canada but it does get hot sometimes.
Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Thanks , that make ls a lot more sense.

Nice, I’m planning to get that when spring comes. thinking about 35% for the doors and 50 for th a back. Don’t want to dark out the roof glass too much. Any thoughts?
I would 35% all so they match - it's not too dark at all. My installer suggest no ceramic film on the rear glass as it absorbs more heat than non-ceramic film and can increase the risk of glass cracking. Definitely use a ceramic on the windshield since that is a large source of cabin heat. All my windows are ceramic except the rear.

I would 35% all so they match - it's not too dark at all. My installer suggest no ceramic film on the rear glass as it absorbs more heat than non-ceramic film and can increase the risk of glass cracking. Definitely use a ceramic on the windshield since that is a large source of cabin heat. All my windows are ceramic except the rear.

glass cracking?!??
Excuse my ignorant. I just got my 3 last dec, so this is new to me.

I think the exact percentage is up to each person's personal taste. I personally love how light and bright the white interior is and did not want to do anything to darken it, so I went with 55% on all windows except the windshield and glass roof right above the driver. I wanted the tint for the UV and heat rejection. I do not care as much about privacy.

My installer said that Tesla informed them not to tint the glass directly above the driver, as this is prone to cracking if tinted. All other glass, including the large rear window, can be tinted.

I had Xpel Prime XR Plus installed and it makes a huge difference in keeping the car cool.

I mainly want to tint because I have 2 kids who hates sunshine in their face.
And I realize the back window clear portion is actually really small. So considering a lighter tint.

Weird that the sunroof can’t be tinted but the big rear window is ok to. Debating if I should drop by service Center and ask them directly. Not sure if the person I talk to would be knowledgeable tho.

Reactions: bcpm3p
I would like to tint my M3 (pearl white/black interior) windows, and I'm corresponding with a local shop that comes highly recommended. Based on what I've read it seems like XPEL prime is the way to go, but what's the difference between Black and Plus? Plus is nearly $300 more than Black for the package (all sides plus back windshield).

Also, I've reviewed many threads on here about tint, and I still don't quite understand whether tinting the back windshield is necessary. I'm not too concerned about privacy from that angle, and I don't know whether it would really help for temperature. Opinions on that?

Also, I've reviewed many threads on here about tint, and I still don't quite understand whether tinting the back windshield is necessary. I'm not too concerned about privacy from that angle, and I don't know whether it would really help for temperature. Opinions on that?
Rear glass - not rear windshield. I would definitely tint the rear glass since it's at an angle similar to the windshield and, as such, is a large source of sun/UV entering the cabin. (like the roof)