Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

XPEL Prime XR?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
35% looking out the passenger window. Windows down to show difference
F17627CA-C202-4BF5-B5F6-E3808C2E4B82.jpeg

Looking out the rear glass 35%
A962F057-A87D-4D84-B4CE-C83A4519F9A4.jpeg

Showing the side at 35 and windshield at 70%
DB9C0491-A657-4051-9104-E5A032264D9C.jpeg

Pick up my newly tinted MSM with white interior on Saturday. 20% sides and back. 70% windshield xpel XR+. 35% is legal limit in Maryland, so am a little nervous, but figure the white interior will let me get away with a darker tint. Fingers crossed

So I have a question. Just got a call from the tint installer, saying my car was ready for pick up after getting 20% xpel xr+ installed on all sides and back, plus 70% on windshield. They pulled the car out of the showroom and have been having it sit in the parking lot for the last hour or so drying. Well being the "creeper" I am, I opened the app and noticed the interior temperature went from 80 degrees while inside to now 114 degrees. The primary reason I was willing to pay extra for the better xr+ was its ability to reject heat and keep it "cool" in the vehicle. Granted its about 94 degrees outside with a feels like temp of 104 with humidity. Am I expecting too much? Now its 115 and rising...

So I have a question. Just got a call from the tint installer, saying my car was ready for pick up after getting 20% xpel xr+ installed on all sides and back, plus 70% on windshield. They pulled the car out of the showroom and have been having it sit in the parking lot for the last hour or so drying. Well being the "creeper" I am, I opened the app and noticed the interior temperature went from 80 degrees while inside to now 114 degrees. The primary reason I was willing to pay extra for the better xr+ was its ability to reject heat and keep it "cool" in the vehicle. Granted its about 94 degrees outside with a feels like temp of 104 with humidity. Am I expecting too much? Now its 115 and rising...
Heat rejection only slows down the rate that heat builds up when your car is parked under the sun, it does not stop it. Given 2 identical cars, one with tint and one without, both will reach the same internal temperature after a long enough time has passed.

Reactions: gambit48

@is95aus,

Can you post some photos of the tint job? I’m looking at the same tint.

Ski

A parked car is still going to build up heat. The tint slows down heat from getting into the car but if a car is just parked, it's going to build up heat regardless. The difference is when your driving and you see that sun beaming at you and you feel little to no heat.

Very little thermal energy is actually reflected away from the car with the tint, instead it’s mainly absorbed by the film. It feels much cooler to you because the visible light is making it to your body but not a large portion of the thermal energy. So if all that thermal energy is being absorbed by the tint, the film and glass will heat up. That heat will then radiate into the car. Put your hand about an inch from the inside of the window when it’s been sitting outside for half an hour or so, I’m sure you’ll feel a wave of heat coming off it. In addition, you have a huge amount of physical metal heating up that’s warming the inside.

The tint will allow YOU to feel cooler by not having hot spots if the sun is shining on your side or something and will allow the HVAC to cool the air quicker and have a lower load for continuous cooling. You should notice a pretty big improvement when driving, but doubtful you’ll notice any improvement once parked.

Have to agree with acarney.
The temperature inside the car does increase, even with tinting!. I'm in Florida, park outside, and can consistently see temps of 115 and more when parked in sun. Only way I have reduced the inside temperature while parked is with the following: A thermal blanket ( 2 sided alum with closed cell core) placed on THE OUTSIDE of the windshield and glass roof. Secured with suction cups to glass on sides of blanket. Ugly, subject to moving when in strong winds, but it keep the temps in low 100's inside, and the upholstery doesn't get direct sunlight. Takes some time to put on and off, but worth the effort if you intend to drive in the later afternoon after sitting in sun all day. I also have installed an INNER solar roof shield, ( sold by Amazon and highly recommended) which blocks most of the radiated heat and direct sun from the roof area. I leave this on all the time. I have the roof, and windows tinted as well.

Here are a couple pics mid process of the PPF... xpel XR tint is done.

Attachments

• 5942A959-51EE-4D7E-8BCB-BE7A9229306C.jpeg
    5942A959-51EE-4D7E-8BCB-BE7A9229306C.jpeg
    374.9 KB · Views: 479
  • E7528DA0-AB35-40CF-8F33-C6D0B2258D51.jpeg
    E7528DA0-AB35-40CF-8F33-C6D0B2258D51.jpeg
    407.3 KB · Views: 456
  • E068666F-1917-425E-9714-252B045950F9.jpeg
    E068666F-1917-425E-9714-252B045950F9.jpeg
    486.6 KB · Views: 427