Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

xpel "scratch"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

PhilBa

Apr 20, 2013
Seattle
I'm not sure when it happened but somehow my nosecone has a strange mark. I don't think it's an actual scratch but perhaps paint transfer. It's weird because it runs almost the entire half of the the nosecone. I don't see how a bump could have caused it. The nosecone has Xpel on it. It's been over a week and it hasn't healed at all. I've washed the car twice now and used a spot cleaner on it to zero effect. It almost looks like paint transfer though it could be some sort of abrasion but it is completely smooth to the touch. I've included two pictures. Any ideas?
nc2.jpg
nc1.jpg

By the way, the nosecone looks completely clean, not sure what dirt the camera was picking up.

My vote is for abrasion. The smoothness you feel maybe the Xpel "healing" itself but I don't have experience with Xpel (SunTek on my car) so it just a guess. But regardless, congratulations on having the forethought to protect your nose cone so this will be an easy and cheap fix verses replacing it.

Thanks. It was smooth when I first found it but who know how long it's been there. Yeah, glad to have xpel. I'm thinking of getting the doors and rear quarters done as well after this little joy. Who knows where the next indignity will come from.

I've always thought the "self healing" thing from Xpel was a gimmick. I sourced out an Xpel installer for my 458 because of all the reviews and just this past week at the Italiano Concorso, I received a scratch like yours on the hood and it never "self healed". This along with some of the bubbles on the Xpel really got me regretting on that purchase.

Don't think it was the anti-tesla woman at the concert. I did a quick walk around before I left. Keying would probably be higher and on the side of the car. Probably more obvious because they are making a statement.

I still laugh about that story--she must have been drunk or smoking something. Why the anger--I know shame on people buying nice things.

Anyways, I wouldn't discount your friend keying it, as maybe she didn't want it to be obvious. But as stated, can be an easy fix--good luck.

Let us know when you are headed to your next concert :smile:

That looks a lot like transfer on top of the clear coat. You can likely remove it with a buffer.

TylerCA, please give me a ring at 210-678-3725 when you have a chance. I'd like to talk to you about your experience, as you definitely shouldn't have had any leftover bubbles.

That looks a lot like transfer on top of the clear coat. You can likely remove it with a buffer.

TylerCA, please give me a ring at 210-678-3725 when you have a chance. I'd like to talk to you about your experience, as you definitely shouldn't have had any leftover bubbles.

Thanks, Jeff. It's such a strange mark, almost like someone rubbed across the nose of the car.

Sorry, but have you never seen the way people back up out of parking spots? They have to keep going until they hit something before they know when to stop. I vote for that or some j/a "squeezing" by in front of car. Looks like abrasion/paint transfer. Be careful trying to use hair dryer yourself. Don't get too close you can do some damage (melting). Start out with warm (not scalding hot) water as suggested by other. Talk to XPEL guy for advice or possible referral to pro detailer for assistance.