Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

XPEL Stealth PPF & Pearl White Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello, I have a question for those who have done a full body, XPEL Stealth PPF on their Pearl White Teslas. Can you see a difference? I am debating between doing a full frontal with SunTek Ultra Defense or full body XPEL Stealth. I have read that the Stealth PPF is not noticeable on the Pearl White, unless you really look at it in compared to other colors. I would appreciate any feedback/recommendations. Thank you.

Reactions: eyedub
You can definitely tell there's something different with the paint on a matte PPF pearl white car when you're closer up.
Although the look is a lot more noticeable from afar on dark paint. Black is probably most noticeable, then gray, then blue. White is fairly subtle. Although for the price (about $7k here), I decided not to go for it.

Hello, I have a question for those who have done a full body, XPEL Stealth PPF on their Pearl White Teslas. Can you see a difference? I am debating between doing a full frontal with SunTek Ultra Defense or full body XPEL Stealth. I have read that the Stealth PPF is not noticeable on the Pearl White, unless you really look at it in compared to other colors. I would appreciate any feedback/recommendations. Thank you.
Full XPEL stealth wrap on my PMY....you be the judge

Attachments

• E2B9246D-C4F5-47EE-863C-472847113356.jpeg
    E2B9246D-C4F5-47EE-863C-472847113356.jpeg
    639.3 KB · Views: 9,041
I'd agree with paint perfection for stealth PPF. I was going to do it until my installer pointed out the 43 paint defects on the car that was fresh from delivery. He tested a small area and the stealth PPF really brings out the imperfections like dust under the clear coat or anything unsmooth.

From a distance, it'll look fine but it's one of those things that you can't un-see once you notice them.

Stealth (or any matte film) makes the white look a little more impactful. It’s WHITE, not white. It’s not as dramatic as some of the other colors, but it’s brighter for sure. If it was the same cost as glossy and behaved the same I would probably always recommend it since you close you can still see the metallic flake in it. In fact, you might see the flake more since you don’t have the sharp glossy highlights.

Blue (to me) looks fantastic with stealth. Check out OCDetailing on youtube. They do a bunch of Model Y/3 and have a couple in stealth (at least one of each color) and have good high quality videos of them in different light. To me the black is the most dramatic (though looks a little “normal”) and then blue closely followed by red. They just make the color punch you in the face. You have all the saturation but far less highlights.

My problem is everywhere seems to charge about $1,000 extra for stealth and I’ve heard the film doesn’t perform the same as the glossy. It might be a little thinner and occasionally shows stretching marks if not installed well. At least one person here also commented the stealth didn’t self heal light swirl marks as much as glossy did...

• Informative
I recently hit a fawn in my MY. There was a 1.25” tear in the front bumper, also lost the front license plate bracket. Tesla said R&R the front bumper. I had the collision shop wrap the front bumper since it was new, as was the paint. It was like $600.00. Cannot tellit was done. Very pleased with the paint/wrap.

• Informative
Dont do Stealth PPF unless your pearl white paint is perfect... It makes color mismatch more notable.

This!!! I did a full Xpel Stealth wrap on my pearl white and it amplifies the blotchy doors and mismatched bumpers. Especially when you are in the shade.

Can you tell the difference with Stealth on pearl white? Yes, but only in the sun. I personally regret going with Stealth and TBH, going with PPF in general on this less than mediocre paint job.

• Informative
White is the only color that is the most SUBTLE. All the other colors with their STEALTH wrap gives it a matte look. But, it brings out the richness in the paint such as the speckles.

With white, it shows the pearly white in the sun but from different angles and from a distance you can't really tell you have it on.

We are planning on getting the stealth wrap with the white as well~!

My problem is everywhere seems to charge about $1,000 extra for stealth and I’ve heard the film doesn’t perform the same as the glossy. It might be a little thinner and occasionally shows stretching marks if not installed well. At least one person here also commented the stealth didn’t self heal light swirl marks as much as glossy did...
One thing some don't realize when getting the stealth wrap is the maintenance of it is going to be different than a normal clear PPF. Just like matte paint, matte film is maintained different because of the lack of the sheen. If you wax or ceramic coat it, it changes the look. If it gets scratched, the self-healing will behave differently. Scratches and scuffs are more noticeable on the matte/satin finish.

• Helpful
Does anyone recommend adding a second small additional layer of PPF in the impact zone in front of the rear wheels (like the small piece tesla is selling in their kit)?

I’m thinking this way when that needs to get replaced you’re just replacing a small piece instead of the full rocker.

am I overthinking this?

@dmj080, are the carbon fiber side mirror wrapped too? Looks really good.
Joe from OC Detailing and I tried to use STEK Dynocarbon black PPF to wrap the mirrors, but the stretch is too much for the film. When you get close up, you can see that the pattern gets distorted from the severe stretch. During one of the heat snaps, the wrap on both mirrors actual ended up cracking. We had left it on while I waited for a set of carbon fiber caps to come from RPM Tesla. I am much happier with the caps from RPM Tesla. You should see my car on OC Detailing’s YouTube channel and IG in the near future as I just left the car there the other day to ceramic coat the rims and to let them take some pics and video of the car for promo use.