TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Xpel Stealth Video on Blue Model X

Discussion in 'Model X' started by Freedom101, Aug 11, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Freedom101

Freedom101 Member

I've spent the last few days driving my X and enjoying the new Xpel Stealth look!

I haven't posted many pics (one to be exact) but decided to do a video for those that might want to check it out:

• Like x 6
    • Love x 2
  2. outie

outie Active Member

Looks great but needs the chrome delete to go with it.

Also looks like the chrome trim on the FWD still doesn't align with the front door or quarter panel glass, just like my Sept 2016 build.

• Like x 1
  3. Freedom101

Freedom101 Member

I was thinking chrome delete initially but it's growing on me... I kind of like it as is. Plus if I get tired of it I can do the chrome delete later on and make another video :).

And yes I was at the service center today discussing alignment issues...

One thing I've noticed on my X that I haven't read a ton about is then plastic above the wheels. 3 of 4 are mis aligned and don't sit properly or anywhere near flush. They've ordered new parts so no biggie.

The good news is that I was expecting these types of defects so I'm not disappointed but will definitely get them taken care of.

• Like x 1
  4. Ski Krazy

Ski Krazy Member

Nice, looks great! Still not convinced one way or the other whether to get mine wrapped. It's nice to see what one looks like wrapped that isn't black or white. It works really well. Now, onto those rims! ;)

• Like x 1
  5. ckwong

ckwong Member

Very nice sir!!! Love to see another deep blue stealth wrapped! Not that many of us out there. :cool: Did you put on opti-coat or any kind of protection over the wrap? I got opti-coat on top of my wrap and washing it is so effortless. Did your installer wrap the side mirrors with a single piece or had to do it in 2 separate pieces due to the curvature of the mirrors?

• Like x 1
  6. Freedom101

Freedom101 Member

Thanks @ckwong. After much deliberation, I didn't add an opti-coat. Installer would have done it but said it was overkill and really not necessary so I took his word for it (even tho my internet research was kind of split on that). I plan to maintain myself and really want the washes to be easy. Hasn't really been dirty yet so time will tell. It feels like it will be quite easy to clean to the touch. I mention it in the video but I can't get over how smooth it feels.

Good question on the mirrors. He warned me at the front end that he would have to do two pieces which was fine with me. So there is a small line where the two pieces meet on the inside of both mirrors.

• Like x 1
  7. ckwong

ckwong Member

same with mine, just wanted to see how other installers are doing it.

• Informative x 1
  8. rainforest

rainforest Member

You need to wrap the front bumper and hood at the minimum. That flat front gets rock chips like crazy.

• Helpful x 1
  9. Ski Krazy

Ski Krazy Member

The issue is more convincing my wife than me at this point, so the more people I can point to telling me to get it wrapped, the better. Thanks! :D

10. rainforest

rainforest Member

Wrapping the front doesn't cost much. Just wrap the bumper and hood. I'll even tell you where to go.

The bumper attracts rocks like crazy. PM me if you need advice. How long have you had your car?

11. Freedom101

Freedom101 Member

I tackled this on the front end... We agreed to factor the wrap into the cost of the vehicle. At the end of the day we were still well under budget with the discounted 90D and couldn't be happier. Again, we plan to keep this vehicle for 10 plus years so protecting it and taking care of it is a priority for us.

12. Ski Krazy

Ski Krazy Member

The cost isn't such a big concern as I know it would be worth the investment. Spending this much on a car, a protective wrap won't be the straw that break the camel's back.

I found a couple providers that people on the forum recommended (Freedom included), but I would love to get your advice on which place you suggest as well. More recommendations can't hurt.

I haven't received my car yet. It should be entering production any day now. Ordered it at the end of last month and had a delivery timeframe of early/mid September.

Yeah, like I said, I see the benefits, especially since we also plan on keeping the car for a long time. The issue is looks. I love the matte look but my wife's opinion is hovering around neutral, give or take a little depending on the day, so she wants to keep it as is at the moment. I know we could get it protected and keep the shine but again, I like the unique look. We'll figure something out.

• Like x 1
  13. XPEL

XPEL Vendor

Freedom101,

Thanks for sharing your Model X. We are glad you enjoy your STEALTH wrap. We always enjoy customers sharing their thoughts on our product.

• Like x 1
  14. dmd2005

dmd2005 Member

#14 dmd2005, Aug 14, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
    I'm another XPEL Ultimate customer but not stealth and both my S and X are fully wrapped. I've also got CQuartz Pro on top of my wrap for the X and it is super easy to wash and keep clean.

For the Lower Mainland you can't go wrong with Ken Wilson at Autowerkes in Maple Ridge or PH Solar in Vancouver for your wraps. Both use to have the contracts with Tesla Vancouver when Tesla was offering wraps before delivery of vehicles.

• Like x 1
  15. Freedom101

Freedom101 Member

Thanks for the quick reply regarding my warranty registration question!