Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Xpel tint has wavy texture on windshield

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had my 2021 M3 windshield tinted 70% and side windows at 35% using Xpel Prime XR Plus Nano Ceramic - twice now. There is a horrible wavy texture on the windshield - even after having the tint redone.
I contacted Xpel two weeks after the first tint job and was told to go through the tint shop. The tint shop told me to bring the car back in after the first tinting, redid the windshield and told me it was done with a defective roll the first time - which stinks for them since I assume they don’t get paid by Xpel for the redo. Second time, same thing, except bubbles and scrape marks in addition to the waviness. Still several white spots on the rear side triangle windows too.
Any advice on what to do? I wish I had gone somewhere else where they didn’t use Xpel.

Reactions: DocHolliday
I had my 2021 M3 windshield tinted 70% and side windows at 35% using Xpel Prime XR Plus Nano Ceramic - twice now. There is a horrible wavy texture on the windshield - even after having the tint redone.
I contacted Xpel two weeks after the first tint job and was told to go through the tint shop. The tint shop told me to bring the car back in after the first tinting, redid the windshield and told me it was done with a defective roll the first time - which stinks for them since I assume they don’t get paid by Xpel for the redo. Second time, same thing, except bubbles and scrape marks in addition to the waviness. Still several white spots on the rear side triangle windows too.
Any advice on what to do? I wish I had gone somewhere else where they didn’t use Xpel.

if you are still unhappy with tint on the windshield, the only things you can do are either ask the shop to use a different type tint, or forgo tint on the windshield altogether.

Since you have tried twice and been unhappy, I would think you would just go without tint on the windshield, and ask the shop for a refund for that piece.

if you are still unhappy with tint on the windshield, the only things you can do are either ask the shop to use a different type tint, or forgo tint on the windshield altogether.

Since you have tried twice and been unhappy, I would think you would just go without tint on the windshield, and ask the shop for a refund for that piece.
Thanks. Do you know if the tint is easy to remove or will I need to take it in to have it removed?

It’s gotta be an install issue. I have Xpel XR Prime+ on my windshield and it’s super clear with no weird marks or distortions.

I had 3M Crystalline on my windshield before and it drove me nuts so I feel your pain.
The wavy pattern is throughout the windshield but not on any of the side windows, which are a different amount of tint, but same brand/same installer. The installer was recommended to me by local Tesla employees.

Yes it’s either 70 or 75%. There’s a lot of shrinking on the corners of the windshield which makes our cars a tough install.

I would say it’s a significant heat reduction while driving and I wouldn’t go without it again. I tried to skip tinting the front on this car but only lasted 2 weeks before scheduling an appointment. If you’ve never had the front tinted before you might get away without doing it but I had Crystalline for 2yrs on my other Model 3 so I knew what to expect.

With Crystalline 70 I wouldn’t ever feel the sun on my arms from the front or sides and with Xpel I feel it just a little bit but I’d stick with Xpel for the clarity out the front.

Definitely not normal to have a persistent wavy pattern. I had 90% tint on my front windshield on my SR+. It was a little wavy the first day, but went away as it sat in the sun for 24 hours.

Have you tried leaving the car out in the sun (if available)?
It’s parked outdoors facing south, in south Florida. It’s been an issue for over a month. Waiting three weeks after the first install before having it redone. Redo is same but with scrape marks and lots of dust and bubbles now also. Wish I had gone with my old person who did tint on my other cars. I thought going to one that specialized in Teslas would be worth it. I think the tint is an issue and the install. No waviness on the 35 xpel tint on the side windows.

It’s parked outdoors facing south, in south Florida. It’s been an issue for over a month. Waiting three weeks after the first install before having it redone. Redo is same but with scrape marks and lots of dust and bubbles now also. Wish I had gone with my old person who did tint on my other cars. I thought going to one that specialized in Teslas would be worth it. I think the tint is an issue and the install. No waviness on the 35 xpel tint on the side windows.
I am having the same issue - had the windshield done twice now and still see the wavy ripples which I did not see before the tint. The worst is at night when all the lights are super hazy looking. I called XPel and they told me they offer a lifetime warranty on the product so you can contact them to advise on a different place to have it redone. I think I may try this.

Reactions: DocHolliday
I am having the same issue - had the windshield done twice now and still see the wavy ripples which I did not see before the tint. The worst is at night when all the lights are super hazy looking. I called XPel and they told me they offer a lifetime warranty on the product so you can contact them to advise on a different place to have it redone. I think I may try this.
Just curious if you got this resolved...and what you did? I did use a place that Tesla recommended in Tampa but they are not listed on XPEL's website of vendors.

I'm still not convinced it's the tint, like some of you are suggesting. My glass - particularly rear windshield - is wavy as hell. It's especially noticeable immediately after a car wash with no drying. You can see the waves through the water. I just assumed it was a defect in the glass.

I have been going through this same issue after getting XR Plus 50 on my windshield in the LA area. It is a little grainy, and appears distorted/wavy if you look at it from an angle. Also known as orange peel. I am thinking that it may be the windshield with this "waviness" since others are having the same issue. I am not comfortable having it re-tinted without being able to confirm it's a film or installation issue (my rear windows got the same film and have no issues). Too much risk with the water+electronics and potential cuts/scratches to the windshield from removing and reinstalling. I also asked a different installer and he said sometimes they see that issue on the windshield with Xpel. I've also seen other Tesla owners post on reddit about this waviness issue with the OEM glass.

Interesting to find this thread. I just had Xpel 70% on my front window of my Model S. I thought I was imaging the distortion I am having. I had the same tint on my Model Y with absolutely no issues. Not sure if it is just the tint or an issue with the window now.

Interesting to find this thread. I just had Xpel 70% on my front window of my Model S. I thought I was imaging the distortion I am having. I had the same tint on my Model Y with absolutely no issues. Not sure if it is just the tint or an issue with the window now.
if you examine it carefully on the Model Y it will still have the same wavy effect as well. But it is much better than the S for sure