Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

XPEL Ultimate Finally Done! With Pics........

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Jerry - did they give you 3M for the bumpers? I ordered xpel but the invoice after delivery shows 3M, and I'm being told afterwards that they used 3M makes thicker material to best protect a bumper. This make sense to you guys? Does 3M discolor (I have white as well)?

Michael... I had similar happen to me.it was advertised as xpel and I even found the retailer throu xpel's website, but 3m was installed. Here's how it works: the design comes from xpel, but the material is 3m. Most places have been doing it this way for a long time. Traditionally xpel only made the design and would send it to the wrapping people. They would put the design in the machine and it would cut the 3m material to that design.

it is only recently xpel started making ther own product. I verified all this on xpel's website. Sure enough, most installers are listed on xpel's website as carrying xpel product only because they use the xpel designs.

my installer, when I asked him after noting the 3m warranty he gave me, said that it would have cost twice as much to do xpel and that the 3m was a better product. I still disagree on the last point. He said, and this jives with every other fact I've found, that when done with 3m it will cost right around 2000 for the full car like I got. He said xpel would be 4000-5000. This explains why there is such a wide variety of prices that people are claiming they got for "xpel".

on their website, they even advertised xpel ultimate, and that's what I asked for...

Hello to all. I would like to begin by introducing my self.
My name is Eddie and I am one of the owners at Detailing Dynamics.

It seems as paint protection film (PPF) is a big topic, so I would like to give my $.02 after being around PPF for 14 yrs. The only materials worth talking about are 3M and X-Pel Ultimate

3M is as tough as it gets. Not easy to scratch, in many cases marks can be polished off, hides imperfections, adheres better than any other material on the market, comes in two different thicknesses - 8mil and 14mil. Maximum width is 48" so it wont cover most of today's vehicles hood and roofs in one piece.

X-Pel Ultimate Best appearance on the market. Adhesion is not the greatest in the world, if stretched a bit more it will leave a very noticeable mark and it will try to peal back in couple of weeks. Not polish-able, but the self healing coating is incredible and it very helpful. comes in at 60" maximum width so it will cover in one piece most vehicle's body panels. It is much more difficult to trim when applied by advanced installers as custom application and full wrap instead of pre-cut kits. Comes with option to apply adheasion promoter for stronger application of the material, just don't try taking it off one day.

Both materials will discolor over time. Usually the only color that shows it is white. That is why we always tell owners of white cars to expect to replace the material after couple of years if they drive the vehicle daily. Good thing is 3M and X-Pel will cover material and labor when it comes to it.

When do we choose which material is a best fit?

Any body panel that requires extra stretching and molding of the material (many modern cars front bumpers) and it has to be done in one piece for best appearance we choose 3M. Everything else goes with X-Pel.
When it comes to rear bumpers, we strongly recommend 3M 14mil thickness. It is much more durable and withstands 90% of other drivers negligence. In some cases we can not cover a full rear bumper with 14 mil 3M, so we apply it as a strip that will blend as best as possible to the lines of the bumper.

Guys always keep in mind that the paint protection film is there to protect your vehicle, not to enhance its appearance. And as advanced as the industry has become over the years, paint protection film will always be noticeable. The question is how acceptable an installation is.

So would you guys just be ok with this and not consider it a bait and switch?

It was invoiced as 3M for Front Bumper and Rear Bumper after it was done, but then I asked and they said "it is x-pel, i just haven't updated my files". I then asked for the invoice to be resent with xpel on it just in case I need warranty claims down the road, and then they reversed and said it was 3M on the rear and sent an invoice with 3m for Rear Bumper and xpel for Front Bumper. Dont mean to make a big deal where it is not, but this didn't instill much confidence that I am getting what I'm paying for if you know what I mean.

Hi Michael, it was a simple invoicing typo. I corrected it.
I finally had the chance to go over the 50 some emails we exchanged, and I didn't find anywhere you asking me about the type of material, or asking for specific material. You asked about package price, you asked about window tint, wax, wheels treatment, parking sensors installation.
here is my very first email to you after contacting us online on July 26th.

"Hi Michael,
Attached is a diagram with the most popular film segments for your specific model. You have the option of choosing any individual segments per your needs. Additional pieces can be designed per your request. The films we use are the newest versions of the 3M Scotchgard and X-Pel Ultimate. It is custom designed and applied. The average time required for the application process is one to two days.
All of the prices on the diagram include full preparation of the car, material (including waxing of the film), and application. To reserve an appointment date, a 10% deposit is required for us to order the required film ahead of time and inspect it for defects.

Opticoat is a great product to apply on vehicles that the owners will not worry about swirl marks. Being that once applied the only way to remove opticoat is by compounding the vehicle. It still gets swirls marks as regular paint. it sounds like you will be taking good care of your car, so with a regular paint sealant wax you will be just fine.

Opticoat application process is $750
Sealant Wax application is $200

As a Tesla forum member you will receive 10% discount on services.

I am already booking the week of August 19th, if you decide to reserve an appointment, please let me know sooner rather than later.

With kind regards,
Eddie"

I believe, I've been very accommodating as far as all our services and made the process of drooping off and picking up your vehicle easier than any dealer ever will.

I explained to you that in most cases it does not matter what the warranty is on the materials, I stand behind every inch of PPF ever applied by us, and I strive to create relationships that last for many years to come with my customers.

If in any way you still feel as you were lied to, please let me know, and we will find a way to make it up to you.

And again, Detailing Dynamics does not Bait & Switch. We will flat out tell you what we are doing with your vehicle and what materials are used.

- - - Updated - - -

@PRFCNST
Welcome to the forum, and thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Thanks Brian, I will do my best to be a good boy :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello to all. I would like to begin by introducing my self.
My name is Eddie and I am one of the owners at Detailing Dynamics.

It seems as paint protection film (PPF) is a big topic, so I would like to give my $.02 after being around PPF for 14 yrs. The only materials worth talking about are 3M and X-Pel Ultimate

3M is as tough as it gets. Not easy to scratch, in many cases marks can be polished off, hides imperfections, adheres better than any other material on the market, comes in two different thicknesses - 8mil and 14mil. Maximum width is 48" so it wont cover most of today's vehicles hood and roofs in one piece.

X-Pel Ultimate Best appearance on the market. Adhesion is not the greatest in the world, if stretched a bit more it will leave a very noticeable mark and it will try to peal back in couple of weeks. Not polish-able, but the self healing coating is incredible and it very helpful. comes in at 60" maximum width so it will cover in one piece most vehicle's body panels. It is much more difficult to trim when applied by advanced installers as custom application and full wrap instead of pre-cut kits. Comes with option to apply adheasion promoter for stronger application of the material, just don't try taking it off one day.

Both materials will discolor over time. Usually the only color that shows it is white. That is why we always tell owners of white cars to expect to replace the material after couple of years if they drive the vehicle daily. Good thing is 3M and X-Pel will cover material and labor when it comes to it.

When do we choose which material is a best fit?

Any body panel that requires extra stretching and molding of the material (many modern cars front bumpers) and it has to be done in one piece for best appearance we choose 3M. Everything else goes with X-Pel.
When it comes to rear bumpers, we strongly recommend 3M 14mil thickness. It is much more durable and withstands 90% of other drivers negligence. In some cases we can not cover a full rear bumper with 14 mil 3M, so we apply it as a strip that will blend as best as possible to the lines of the bumper.

Guys always keep in mind that the paint protection film is there to protect your vehicle, not to enhance its appearance. And as advanced as the industry has become over the years, paint protection film will always be noticeable. The question is how acceptable an installation is.

My Model S has been done now for over 2 months. No bubbles, No stretch marks, No tears, No lifting, NADA! When I tell people the entire front is wrapped they dont believe me cause they cant tell! Bottom line.....Trust your installer, PERIOD! Go look at other cars being done in the shop and make your decision.

Eddie - I am ok with everything - that is why we settled up one business day after you sent me the corrected invoice and I thought we put this to rest.

I apologize for being a pain of a customer and perhaps it is my fault for misunderstanding/not being clear, but I assure you I have no incentive to make up what I thought I was asking for after the fact. This might be small $ for you guys, but it is not insignificant to me, so I just wanted to make sure I got what I paid for (which, as above, I was ok with since again, I said all was fine and we settled up one business day after you sent me a corrected invoice).

Anyway, I see no point in fighting over internet forums, I have deleted/edited my posts above where I showed disappointment. If you have any other things to address with respect to our individual transaction, please just e-mail me directly.

I explained to you that in most cases it does not matter what the warranty is on the materials, I stand behind every inch of PPF ever applied by us, and I strive to create relationships that last for many years to come with my customers.

If in any way you still feel as you were lied to, please let me know, and we will find a way to make it up to you.

And again, Detailing Dynamics does not Bait & Switch. We will flat out tell you what we are doing with your vehicle and what materials are used.

Eddie - I am ok with everything - that is why we settled up one business day after you sent me the corrected invoice and I thought we put this to rest.

I apologize for being a pain of a customer and perhaps it is my fault for misunderstanding/not being clear, but I assure you I have no incentive to make up what I thought I was asking for after the fact. This might be small $ for you guys, but it is not insignificant to me, so I just wanted to make sure I got what I paid for (which, as above, I was ok with since again, I said all was fine and we settled up one business day after you sent me a corrected invoice).

Anyway, I see no point in fighting over internet forums, I have deleted/edited my posts above where I showed disappointment. If you have any other things to address with respect to our individual transaction, please just e-mail me directly.

Mike, Thank you for your understanding. I value every customer, and there is no such thing as too small amount when it comes to our business.