Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Xpel ultimate fusion PPF Model 3 Install

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,
  1. I have asked for a quote for xpel ultimate fusion for a model 3. Xpel ultimate fusion apperently has a ceramic coating built into the PPF. Has anyone used it ? Any good? - I cant find any reviews on the internet.
  2. I asked the PPF installer if there will be seams left on any areas, he said yes around the door handles and a few other areas. Is this to be expected ? Again on the internet they never show these areas up close so hard to tell if this is the norm ?
  3. He doed not remove rear lights - Is this to be expected ?
  4. He said he will need replacement front and rear badges as part of the process as standard double sided tape is too thick and wont look grerat - Is this the norm ?
  5. He said there is a chance that he damage the camera housing while trying to remove it and IO should be aware in case this occurs - is this the norm ?
  6. I asked him to arrange window tinting - he proposes a company next door to him that uses global tint - its not a ceramic tint - I dont really need to reduce heat - I juist want it for the look - what are your thoughts on this company global ?

thanks,
Damo

Reactions: Seattle ClearBra
Hi,
  1. I have asked for a quote for xpel ultimate fusion for a model 3. Xpel ultimate fusion apperently has a ceramic coating built into the PPF. Has anyone used it ? Any good? - I cant find any reviews on the internet.
  2. I asked the PPF installer if there will be seams left on any areas, he said yes around the door handles and a few other areas. Is this to be expected ? Again on the internet they never show these areas up close so hard to tell if this is the norm ?
  4. He said he will need replacement front and rear badges as part of the process as standard double sided tape is too thick and wont look grerat - Is this the norm ?
  5. He said there is a chance that he damage the camera housing while trying to remove it and IO should be aware in case this occurs - is this the norm ?
  6. I asked him to arrange window tinting - he proposes a company next door to him that uses global tint - its not a ceramic tint - I dont really need to reduce heat - I juist want it for the look - what are your thoughts on this company global ?

thanks,
Damo
I have used it on the Porsche, Toyota Rav4, Mercedes SL550 and the Tesla MSP. I have had a very good experience in all cases. Each car was approx. $7,000-$8,000 for full car PPF and Crystalline window tinting. Ref. to #2= Yes there are some almost invisable seams that you have to look for to catch. #4= Yes that is normal, and they used new tap, and I have never had a problem. #5= They did Not remove the camera housing. # 6= I have no experience with Global.
I sometimes give it a little Carnuba Turtle wax, but otherwise just spray on SPRAYWAY (ammonia free) with a terry cloth to clean.

MBEXPEL.png
Tesla.jpeg
IMG_4720.jpeg
IMG_3894.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: Maric and KenC
I have used it on the Porsche, Toyota Rav4, Mercedes SL550 and the Tesla MSP. I have had a very good experience in all cases. Each car was approx. $7,000-$8,000 for full car PPF and Crystalline window tinting. Ref. to #2= Yes there are some almost invisable seams that you have to look for to catch. #4= Yes that is normal, and they used new tap, and I have never had a problem. #5= They did Not remove the camera housing. # 6= I have no experience with Global.
I sometimes give it a little Carnuba Turtle wax, but otherwise just spray on SPRAYWAY (ammonia free) with a terry cloth to clean.

View attachment 786669View attachment 786670View attachment 786671View attachment 786672
Thank you for the detailed response. Very helpful information :)

Reactions: CaptUAL
I have XPEL ultimate fusion on my front bumper, but I find it has a bit of swirls compared to regular XPEL Ultimate. But you would only notice this on a darker car.

I find it "mildly" hydrophobic. Nothing really crazy in terms of water beading.

Hi,

thanks,
Damo
We charge 7900 for a high-quality installation for a full coverage Xpel ULTIMATE FUSION on Tesla's. This includes all painted areas, b-pillars, lights, taillights, inter screen and door sills.

Door handles is one area the film stops at unless asked to wrap there. The front bumpers have 2 little seems at the lower right and left on the front bumper. Other than this with our type of installation there's no other edges not wrapped that I could think off of the top of my head.

Many shops don't remove many parts, but we remove the taillights, drop the front and rear bumper, drop the headlights, take off trim around windows, emblems and side cameras. X and Y have trim around wheels removed as well an S and X has grille removed.

Emblems don't need to be replaced per and can have new two-way tape put on. Many shops will require new ones though and it is the cleanest most factory look but we've yet to see anyone bothered by doing a clean new two way tape install.

Yes, when removed the side cameras sometimes the clips will break on the bottom side although generally can be easily fixed with some good quality fast drying glue and they're as good as new if not even stronger. These side cameras on all but the new S are very poorly designed and no matter how hard one tries they can still break the little tabs.

I personally would suggest Xpel PRIME XR or Xpel PRIME XR PLUS if in a southern climate, or area with more sun then the wet west coast imo. The cost difference is negligible, again imo for a good quality ceramic tint. That said, if you have no desire to stop heat, then one can go with something like Xpel PRIME CS.

Hope this helps out. If any other questions fire them off and should be able to answer them for you or anyone else.

I have XPEL ultimate fusion on my front bumper, but I find it has a bit of swirls compared to regular XPEL Ultimate. But you would only notice this on a darker car.

I find it "mildly" hydrophobic. Nothing really crazy in terms of water beading.
That's odd. Our experience with the Xpel ULTIMATE FUSION is it's highly hydrophobic. As for swirls try heating it up with a hair dryer and should easily remove something like that or await the warm weather and should self-heal itself.

Reactions: CaptUAL
That's odd. Our experience with the Xpel ULTIMATE FUSION is it's highly hydrophobic. As for swirls try heating it up with a hair dryer and should easily remove something like that or await the warm weather and should self-heal itself.
Just curious, based on your installation results so far, how does ULTIMATE FUSION as a standalone product compare to previous combination of Ultimate Plus with Fusion Plus Ceramic Coating on top?

Just curious, based on your installation results so far, how does ULTIMATE FUSION as a standalone product compare to previous combination of Ultimate Plus with Fusion Plus Ceramic Coating on top?

@XPEL @Seattle ClearBra

For the new XPEL Ultimate Fusion PPF file, I am wondering how long will the Hydrophobic Properties last.

Any special maintenance is required boost or restore the Hydrophobic Properties after xx months / years?

Thanks!

New member here. I just joined to learn about this exact subject.

Very interesting that @Seatle ClearBra did not answer the last two questions after being so active prior.

I think those are the very questions that keep owners from using the product.

New member here. I just joined to learn about this exact subject.

Very interesting that @Seatle ClearBra did not answer the last two questions after being so active prior.

I think those are the very questions that keep owners from using the product.
Agreed! I came here for these answers, too.

Now, almost a year later, can anyone speak to the longevity of ultimate fusion’s hydrophobic top coat, and if they regret not going with ultimate and ceramic coating, instead (or another brand of hydrophobic ppf like STEK)?

For some reasons the forum never updated us on a post being here till today. In our opinion it seems to last longer with more a bit more hydrophobic tendencies over time.

@XPEL @Seattle ClearBra

For the new XPEL Ultimate Fusion PPF file, I am wondering how long will the Hydrophobic Properties last.

Any special maintenance is required boost or restore the Hydrophobic Properties after xx months / years?

Thanks!
It's hard to say as really depends on how you care for it but would suspect in most casses 3+ years of very good hydrophobicity. Yes, you should be using Xpel BOOST as often as reasonably possible to keep the hydrophobic properties alive. Some shops like us will give you it included in your installation and anytime you need a refill for free. Ohers will charge for it too. We suggest every 2-4 car washes add some boost.

Reactions: fseir
It's hard to say as really depends on how you care for it but would suspect in most casses 3+ years of very good hydrophobicity. Yes, you should be using Xpel BOOST as often as reasonably possible to keep the hydrophobic properties alive. Some shops like us will give you it included in your installation and anytime you need a refill for free. Ohers will charge for it too. We suggest every 2-4 car washes add some boost.
That’s awesome that you provide free BOOST refills. I got a free bottle from my installer, but I don’t think refills are included. For the price of a full ppf installation, I think they should be included, so good on you for doing that!

Thanks for the comment on longevity and recommended boost regimen. I have hydrophobic suntek ppf on my 2018 model 3, which is still going strong, but I also ceramic coated on top of the suntek, so I can’t tell if it’s the ceramic coat, or the ppf, that’s still hydrophobic. Hoping the ultimate fusion pro on my model Y does as well.