Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

XPel Ultimate - Is this a fair price?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking to do XPel Ultimate on the entire hood, front fenders, front bumper, mirrors and headlights and got a price of $1980.00. It's quite a bit of money, was hoping to be more in the $1000.00 range but then again I wasn't really basing that off of anything other than what I was comfortable spending.

Looking to do XPel Ultimate on the entire hood, front fenders, front bumper, mirrors and headlights and got a price of $1980.00. It's quite a bit of money, was hoping to be more in the $1000.00 range but then again I wasn't really basing that off of anything other than what I was comfortable spending.
It seems a tad bit expensive compared to what I paid in the Denver area. I had the hood, front fenders, front bumper, mirrors, headlights, A-pillars, top of rear bumper and behind/in-front of rear wheels done for right around $1900. You might ask to see if they could throw in those extras for the same price...but if you're aiming to spend $1000, it sounds like they are priced way above your budget.

Note that Xpel Ultimate should have a 10 year warranty. I think 3M Pro would only be 7 years. I actually went with SunTek since it didn't have as much 'orangepeel' texture as Xpel but could've had Xpel for the same price. While SunTek is normally only warrantied for 5 years, my installer said he warrantied it for as long as I will own the car.

Made an appointment to go with the $1750.00 option, it's the full front and the place has done a lot of high end cars and multiple Teslas.

I found that the full hood is what really hikes the price up. If I were to just do 24" up the hood and 8" on the fenders, it would be $1000.00 less. But I really don't like how the line would look, and this is not a cheap car, so might as well do it right.

The majority of ppl seem to consider xpel is superior... however we've never see a real review.

There's a video on YouTube of a guy testing scratch résistance of all 3 (suntek, 3m and xpel). The video looks very unbiased/unsponsored and 3m is a clear winner.

My installer offers both. He recommended 3M even if he's gonna make less money and he knows money is no object for this car.

What are the differences?

Hard to compare pricing form installer to installer, there are many factors when looking for an installer. That pricing is about right for the market you are in for a good reputable shop. Anything significantly lower I would be questioning the quality, first and foremost for the final outcome of the work is the experience and skill level of the installer. I'd recommend seeing work in person prior to making any decision.

Hard to compare pricing form installer to installer, there are many factors when looking for an installer. That pricing is about right for the market you are in for a good reputable shop. Anything significantly lower I would be questioning the quality, first and foremost for the final outcome of the work is the experience and skill level of the installer. I'd recommend seeing work in person prior to making any decision.

Good points Tim, thanks.

These are the guys I'm going with: Oz Braz Paint Protection Film - Clear Bra Professional - Put A Bra On

They have a great gallery on the site of some really nice cars, so I'm putting my trust in them. They seem like a smaller/newer shop, hopefully that won't be an issue.

I assume the 10 year warranty is backed by XPel themselves and is not reliant on the original installer?

HX_Guy, the warranty is by XPEL and can be serviced by any authorized XPEL installer. But "authorized" is key so I recommend that you look the installer up on the XPEL website to make sure they are authorized so the warranty is valid.

I did go on XPel's website and that is how I found these guys - there are only 5 installers listed for the Phoenix area. I called all 4...2 of them never answered the phone out of 3-4 times I tried calling.

Screen_Shot_2017_01_11_at_10_39_52_PM.jpg

Keep in mind these are what we typically see across the country and it can vary with these factors:

- Where you live

- Demand for paint protection film

- Size of your vehicle

For a partial front end: This includes 18-24” up the hood and fenders, front bumper, mirrors and sometimes headlights. This ranges from $895 - $1,195.

For full front coverage: This includes the entire hood and front fenders, front bumper, mirrors and sometimes headlights. This ranges from $1,895 - $2,195.

For full car coverage: This includes every painted surface on the car possible. This ranges from $4,500 - $8,000.

When you do find an installer:

- Be sure to ask for wrapped edges where possible (meaning that the film will wrap over the edge of the panel)

- Visit their shop and look at some of their installations they've completed, as certain installers may do things differently

- Exam the installation to see if the visible seams are close the edge of the body panel

- You can ask them if they've wrapped your vehicle before, some installers may have wrapped a few, some may have wrapped a hundred...it's best to find an installer you feel comfortable leaving your pride and joy with.

Reactions: Sawyer8888
Good points Tim, thanks.
I assume the 10 year warranty is backed by XPel themselves and is not reliant on the original installer?

Yes, the 10-year warranty, XPEL Warranty, covers yellowing, discoloration, peeling, cracking and hazing. If it fails, we’ll replace it—labor included.

Once your installation is completed, ask your installer for the XPEL Warranty Card, which can be registered at Warranty Registration Form Page - XPEL

It's my understanding that they usually do paint correction before applying. At least the installer in my area said that his installation price includes paint correction.

Also, it's not a bad idea to have the areas on the car that are not covered in film, use a paint protectant

Picked up the car from having the XPEL protection done.

The XPEL looks great...and by great I mean you can't see it. :crazy: It's completely transparent and unless you know to look for it, you'd never know it has it. The whole hood and most of the fender along the hood are rolled around the edge, so there you really can't see it. You can see it on the mirrors at the most and a couple other spots. Never had a car with paint protection like this before, but I know every car Ive ever had has had the bumper with a bunch of paint chips in it so hopefully this works as well as I hear.

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

Reactions: Sawyer8888
Holy crap this XPEL stuff actually works! Noticed a scratch on my hood yesterday morning and thought WTF...I thought the coating is supposed to be a lot more scratch resistant than the factory paint. I had seen online that it needs heat to repair itself...and the car was parked in the sun today...voila, gone! Pretty badass.

Glad to see your enjoying the protective abilities of the film! Saved you from a costly repair :)