Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

XPEL Ultimate Plus PPF durability?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all,

I have had my XPEL PPF and Ceramic Pro for 10 months. A week ago, a large rock hit the hood and looks like it skipped on the hood as it left a couple of marks. The initial point of impact looked so bad that it literally tore off the PPF and the paint underneath.

Now that I have a new car, I'm looking at PPF again. I'm deciding whether or not to go back to Xpel.

I'm curious what other's experience has been like w/ Xpel? Is there a durability issue? I'm disappointed with the damage that my car sustained, but I am fully aware that PPF+ Ceramic coating is not bulletproof. I've attached some pics for your consideration...

Thanks!
IMG_5814.jpeg
IMG_5815.jpeg

I'm sorry your car got hit by a large rock. From your description and from the pics, the rock was so large that I don't think any PPF on the market would have prevented the damage. Both Suntek and Xpel are coming out with films that are thicker. I am assuming the thicker the film, the more protection they provide. I have Xpel PPF on my whole P3D and have been extremely pleased with it. I also like Xpel because they stand behind their warranty.

As joebruin77 mentioned it's unlikely any other film (Stek, Clearguard Nano, Suntek) on the market would've stood up to the size of the debris and velocity at which it impacted your vehicle. I've had film on numerous cars over the years with PPF and while it provides some level of protection it doesn't make the car bulletproof. The hope is it serves as a sacrificial layer to your paint. Unfortunately, that did not happen in your situation.

Ouch! I have Xpel Ultimate and had a similar experience. I have a couple tears in my PPF like this but luckily my paint seems unaffected. At least I think. I probably won't know for sure until its removed and damage inspected. Like others have said, I think if the rock is big enough, there's no PPF that's invulnerable to it. I'm letting my ppf take a few more hits before I pay the bucks to get it replaced and hope that if there's any underlying damage that it can be buffed.

Side question for those of you that got PPF on just the front, is the difference in glossiness noticeable? Can someone see that part of the car is coated and part of it isn’t?
Absolutely not - no difference in gloss. I have cars with Xpel Ultimate and STEK. Teslas all have STEK and it's invisible thanks to a OCD perfectionist installer. I opted for bulk film custom installed so no visible edges vs. a computer cut kit.

• Informative
Reactions: Saturday