Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Xpel ultimate plus quote

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For the entire car it would be $6500. For just the hood, bumper, headlights and mirrors would be $2013. I think I will stick with just the latter plus the, what is that called, dog legs? And maybe the rocker panels?

Do the rocker panels need it? Also on my current car I just used touchless sealant on the non ppf protected areas. Does ceramic coating work well for the model 3? Thanks.

Thanks for sharing this info. I am also looking for PPF (only front half) and a nearby installer referenced this brand. And the installer also mentioned that XPEL also carries window tints too.

From what I understand, the the PPF will do a better job at protecting against rock chips compared to the ceramic coating. Good luck and looking forward to seeing pics when the job is done.

Thanks for sharing this info. I am also looking for PPF (only front half) and a nearby installer referenced this brand. And the installer also mentioned that XPEL also carries window tints too.

From what I understand, the the PPF will do a better job at protecting against rock chips compared to the ceramic coating. Good luck and looking forward to seeing pics when the job is done.

Ah the ceramic coating marketing has always been out of control. Coatings offer zero protection from rock chips. It's better to just think of it as a long lasting wax. It'll bead water and making cleaning easier. Even with proper hand washing, the longevity claims are usually exaggerated.

PPF cost will vary across installers. If priced appropriately, you're paying for their skill and how thorough they are with not leaving exposed edges. A bad job can look like exposed/lifting edges, knife cuts on your paint, debris under the film, misaligned edges, etc.

For the entire car it would be $6500. For just the hood, bumper, headlights and mirrors would be $2013. I think I will stick with just the latter plus the, what is that called, dog legs? And maybe the rocker panels?

Do the rocker panels need it? Also on my current car I just used touchless sealant on the non ppf protected areas. Does ceramic coating work well for the model 3? Thanks.
You could come to Dallas and save some money I think based on that quote.

Reactions: GeoG
For those of you who may be considering PPF, I just thought I would share that at least two strangers walking their dogs within the last month asked me "how do you like your new Tesla?".

I found this amusing because my Tesla is 3 1/2 years old. They both thought my car was brand new and could not believe it was already that old. Yes, I wash it every week. But I think the Xpel PPF I had installed when I first bought the car in 2018 has helped the car's paint, headlights and tailights to look really great. And this is for a car that is parked outside 24/7.

Last edited:
I certainly believe it; when I visited my cousin in Houston, his M3 looked pristine (and he has PPF installed on front).

Back in 2018, I did a whole-car Xpel PPF. To keep the PPF in good condition, you still need to wash it every week or two. And you do want to apply a PPF-safe sealant or ceramic coating on top of it. I personally skipped the ceramic coating and I just apply a ceramic spray sealant every 3 months or so. Xpel's PPF is an outstanding product.

Sure, I figured routine washes and no need for waxing. But was not aware of a sealant. Do you recommend any specific sealant product?

Xpel makes their own ppf sealant and also their own ceramic boost spray. I think Xpel recommends applying the ceramic boost spray once every 6 months.

My current favorite ceramic spray sealant is Griot's Garage Ceramic 3-in-1 Wax. It provides good protection, enhances the gloss, and is reasonably priced. In the past, I have also used and liked Technicians Choice Ceramic Detail Spray (super slick, good protection, smells like pina colada, and is a great value at $37 per gallon). The Last Coat 2.0 is also a good sealant, but it is a bit more expensive than these other products. Turtle Wax Seal and Shine and also Turtle Wax Hybrid Ceramic Spray Sealants are also good products and are very reasonably priced.

I would avoid like the plague F11 Topcoat, Shine Armor, Torque Ceramic Detail Spray, and Nexgen Sealant. All of these products are social-media marketed and hyped. They are overpriced and way under perform. I saw one Youtube review of F11 that showed it got washed off after just one wash. And it cost about $70 for a 16 oz bottle! You can buy a 22 oz bottle of Griot's Garage 3-in-1 Wax for under $20.

• Informative
Reactions: Subie2M3
My current favorite ceramic spray sealant is Griot's Garage Ceramic 3-in-1 Wax. It provides good protection, enhances the gloss, and is reasonably priced.

Do you decontaminate after washing but before spraying with this wax? I see Griot's recommends a decontamination step between washing and using the wax.

I've never used a clay bar or any decontamination product.

And I assume the process is wash...dry...spray wax...buff it in? (With a possible decontamination after the wash step?)

Do you decontaminate after washing but before spraying with this wax? I see Griot's recommends a decontamination step between washing and using the wax.

I've never used a clay bar or any decontamination product.

And I assume the process is wash...dry...spray wax...buff it in? (With a possible decontamination after the wash step?)

It really depends on the condition of your paint. Since I wash my car once a week, the contaminants really don't build up and I don't need usually need to use a clay bar that often. You don't want to clay the paint if it is not needed. When you use a clay bar, you do remove a very tiny amount of clear coat and even if you use a lot of lube, you can easily induce some marring. Xpel says that you can clay PPF, but I don't like to do this unless it is really needed.

You can use a "plastic baggie" test to determine if you need to clay. Put your hand inside a thin plastic sandwich bag and run your fingers over the paint. If it feels smooth, then no need to clay. If you feel little bumps, then you do need to clay.

And if you do need to clay, I highly recommend a clay mitt as opposed to a traditional clay bar, such as this one:

And yes, that is the correct process.

Reactions: DeltaOne
It really depends on the condition of your paint. Since I wash my car once a week, the contaminants really don't build up and I don't need usually need to use a clay bar that often. You don't want to clay the paint if it is not needed. When you use a clay bar, you do remove a very tiny amount of clear coat and even if you use a lot of lube, you can easily induce some marring. Xpel says that you can clay PPF, but I don't like to do this unless it is really needed.

You can use a "plastic baggie" test to determine if you need to clay. Put your hand inside a thin plastic sandwich bag and run your fingers over the paint. If it feels smooth, then no need to clay. If you feel little bumps, then you do need to clay.

And if you do need to clay, I highly recommend a clay mitt as opposed to a traditional clay bar, such as this one:

And yes, that is the correct process.

Good info, thanks. I'm going to say my paint doesn't need a clay bar treatment. It's 13 months old, PPF and ceramic since it was 4 months old, parked on a carport and washed at least twice monthly.

Thanks again.

Good info, thanks. I'm going to say my paint doesn't need a clay bar treatment. It's 13 months old, PPF and ceramic since it was 4 months old, parked on a carport and washed at least twice monthly.

Thanks again.

Since your car has a ceramic coating, you can probably just wash it and then apply the GG 3-in-1 Wax. Griots Garage says that this wax makes a great topper for ceramic coated cars.

Reactions: DeltaOne
Forgive my ignorance, I didn't realize that if you have PPF, you could clay or wax on top of it. I thought that the PPF application protected the paint and so a regular wash was sufficient. 😕

Yep, this is from the Xpel website:

ULTIMATE PLUS ™ Paint Protection Film​

To Keep Your Film Looking Great, Follow A Few Simple Guidelines:​

• Wait 48 hours after installation to wash your car.
  • Remove insect or other stains as soon as possible with XPEL Film Cleaner.
  • Stubborn stains can be removed with 99% isopropyl alcohol. Take care to keep these chemicals off the vehicle’s paint.
  • Seal with XPEL Ceramic Boost at least once every 6 months to preserve high gloss.
  • Light scratches in the film will self-heal in 20-30 minutes at room temperature. In colder conditions, or to accelerate the process, pour warm water (120°F) over the affected area.
  • Avoid using a pressure washer or high-pressure water source near the edges of the film, it can cause the film to lift and/or become damaged.
  • Detailing Clay can be used to remove contaminants that are on the film.

• Informative
Reactions: Subie2M3