Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Xpel Ultimate Plus + top coat protection?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
just installed xpel ultimate plus on my full hood and front bumper. Just wondering if i should put something on top of it to help protect it? Like a ceramic coating for PPF, or some other topper? just to help make it easier to clean, and help protect it at the same time. this is my 1st car that i ever put PPF on, so i want it to last. Thanks

just installed xpel ultimate plus on my full hood and front bumper. Just wondering if i should put something on top of it to help protect it? Like a ceramic coating for PPF, or some other topper? just to help make it easier to clean, and help protect it at the same time. this is my 1st car that i ever put PPF on, so i want it to last. Thanks

Yes, you do want to keep the PPF clean and apply a PPF-safe sealant once every 3 or 4 months. Xpel makes their own sealant. I have used and liked Turtle Wax Seal and Shine, The Last Coat 2.0, Opticoat’s Hyperseal, and Xtreme Solutions Poly Seal.
You can apply a ceramic coating on top of PPF if you prefer.

Reactions: TheNeck
Yes, you do want to keep the PPF clean and apply a PPF-safe sealant once every 3 or 4 months. Xpel makes their own sealant. I have used and liked Turtle Wax Seal and Shine, The Last Coat 2.0, Opticoat’s Hyperseal, and Xtreme Solutions Poly Seal.
How was the seal n shine with the PPF? Getting my ppf done next week and will apply seal n shine after

since the PPF is newly installed should i apply a sealant now? and then every 3-4 months after that?

How was the seal n shine with the PPF? Getting my ppf done next week and will apply seal n shine after
TW SandS was great. It is probably the best value in the world of sealants. In Youtube reviews, it frequently outperforms sealants that cost 3-5 times as much in terms of durability and chemical resistance. The reason I did not stick with it is because it did not give quite as much gloss as others I have used and was not quite as slick. But it is a solid choice especially at $8.00 or $9.00 a bottle.

Reactions: lukey13
since the PPF is newly installed should i apply a sealant now? and then every 3-4 months after that?

It has been over 2 years since I had my PPF installed, so I honestly don't remember. I do recall that you are supposed to wait for a period of time to wash the car after the PPF has been installed, but I don't remember the exact time frame. I would check with your installer as to when you can safely wash the car after the PPF is installed and when you can apply the sealant. I would recommend applying the sealant as soon as it is safe to do so after the installation.

Reactions: TheNeck and X-pilot
It has been over 2 years since I had my PPF installed, so I honestly don't remember. I do recall that you are supposed to wait for a period of time to wash the car after the PPF has been installed, but I don't remember the exact time frame. I would check with your installer as to when you can safely wash the car after the PPF is installed and when you can apply the sealant. I would recommend applying the sealant as soon as it is safe to do so after the installation.
ok thanks, yes at least wait 48 hours before washing the newly installed PPF.

• Helpful
Reactions: X-pilot
TW SandS was great. It is probably the best value in the world of sealants. In Youtube reviews, it frequently outperforms sealants that cost 3-5 times as much in terms of durability and chemical resistance. The reason I did not stick with it is because it did not give quite as much gloss as others I have used and was not quite as slick. But it is a solid choice especially at $8.00 or $9.00 a bottle.
Which one of the sealant/wax you listed has high gloss and close to TW SandS quality?

Here are my favorites:

Xtreme Solutions Poly Seal - This is a ceramic-infused sealant that also has some wax in it. Gives great gloss and shine. The same company makes a great ceramic-infused topper called "Topper". You can use Poly Seal once every 2-3 months and then use Topper after each wash as a drying aid. Both products have pleasant scents and are user-friendly. Although not as cheap as TW Sand S, the costs are reasonable and offer good value, esp if you buy in the larger quantities.

The Last Coat 2.0 - Great ceramic-infused sealant that offers strong chemical resistance. The same company makes a ceramic-infused spray called Amp that is designed for maximum gloss and shine between sealant applications. TLC has no scent. Amp has a pleasant scent. These products are more expensive but the company often offers discounts, especially if you get on their email list.

I love Optimum and Opticoat products in general. I really liked the look and performance of HyperSeal (Opticoat's ceramic-infused sealant), but it did have a bit of an unpleasant chemical smell. And it is among the more expensive products.

Technician's Choice Ceramic Detail Spray - Even though this is called a detail spray, it offers so much protection that you can use it as a ceramic-infused sealant. It gives great gloss and slickness and has a great coconut scent. You can buy a gallon of this for $40-$45, so it is a great value.

Once I use up my current products, I plan on trying Turtle Wax's new graphene-infused spray wax called Flex Wax. This is supposed to offer protection that is near Seal and Shine's level but offers much more gloss, shine, and slickness.

Reactions: TheNeck and lukey13
Here are my favorites:

Xtreme Solutions Poly Seal - This is a ceramic-infused sealant that also has some wax in it. Gives great gloss and shine. The same company makes a great ceramic-infused topper called "Topper". You can use Poly Seal once every 2-3 months and then use Topper after each wash as a drying aid. Both products have pleasant scents and are user-friendly. Although not as cheap as TW Sand S, the costs are reasonable and offer good value, esp if you buy in the larger quantities.

The Last Coat 2.0 - Great ceramic-infused sealant that offers strong chemical resistance. The same company makes a ceramic-infused spray called Amp that is designed for maximum gloss and shine between sealant applications. TLC has no scent. Amp has a pleasant scent. These products are more expensive but the company often offers discounts, especially if you get on their email list.

I love Optimum and Opticoat products in general. I really liked the look and performance of HyperSeal (Opticoat's ceramic-infused sealant), but it did have a bit of an unpleasant chemical smell. And it is among the more expensive products.

Technician's Choice Ceramic Detail Spray - Even though this is called a detail spray, it offers so much protection that you can use it as a ceramic-infused sealant. It gives great gloss and slickness and has a great coconut scent. You can buy a gallon of this for $40-$45, so it is a great value.

Once I use up my current products, I plan on trying Turtle Wax's new graphene-infused spray wax called Flex Wax. This is supposed to offer protection that is near Seal and Shine's level but offers much more gloss, shine, and slickness.
Thank you such a detailed response! Let me know how the Flex Wax goes.

I know it’ll be double the work but what do you think using TW SandS as a 1st or final coating after one of sealants you listed?

I know it’ll be double the work but what do you think using TW SandS as a 1st or final coating after one of sealants you listed?

With some rare exceptions, you typically don't want to apply a polymer sealant on top of another polymer sealant. Normally you would want to apply a polymer or ceramic-infused polymer sealant to clean, bare paint (or PPF). The sealant forms the strongest bond if it is applied to clean, bare paint or PPF. You can, however, apply a wax on top of a sealant or you can apply more than one layer of the same sealant. So for example, you could use TW SandS as your base protection and then apply Turtle Wax Spray Wax on top of that. Or you could just use the Seal and Shine exclusively. These spray sealants are so easy to use that you can use them as a drying aid after each wash.

With some rare exceptions, you typically don't want to apply a polymer sealant on top of another polymer sealant. Normally you would want to apply a polymer or ceramic-infused polymer sealant to clean, bare paint (or PPF). The sealant forms the strongest bond if it is applied to clean, bare paint or PPF. You can, however, apply a wax on top of a sealant or you can apply more than one layer of the same sealant. So for example, you could use TW SandS as your base protection and then apply Turtle Wax Spray Wax on top of that. Or you could just use the Seal and Shine exclusively. These spray sealants are so easy to use that you can use them as a drying aid after each wash.
got it. Any wax recommendation besides TW Spray Wax especially with high gloss?

got it. Any wax recommendation besides TW Spray Wax especially with high gloss?

Which wax I pick would depend in part on which sealant is being used as the base layer of protection. For topping a traditional polymer sealant, I have personally used and liked Meguiars D156 Synthetic Spray wax (this is a professional version of the Meguiars Ultimate Quick Wax, which is also good) as well as Xtreme Solutions Sonic Spray Wax. I have also heard good things about (although have not yet personally tried) Optimum Spray Wax and TAC System Shinee Wax.

If you are using a base protection that has ceramic in it, then using a ceramic-infused wax or topper makes more sense. Thus PolySeal and Topper work great together as do The Last Coat 2.0 and Amp. I have also heard good things about Griot's Garage 3-in-1 Ceramic Wax which is another option for your base protection. If you want to go ceramic, Turtle Wax also offers their Hybrid solutions line which includes a ceramic-infused sealant and ceramic spray wet wax that play well together.

Lastly, you can go the graphene route. You could use the Turtle Wax liquid To The Max Graphene Wax on the paint and then use their graphene Flex Wax for maintenance washes.

totally noob question, how do you know if a product is a sealant?

totally noob question, how do you know if a product is a sealant?

That's actually a great question because the marketing departments of car detailing products throw around terms like "wax" or "sealant" and often confuse the two.

At a very basic level, here is the difference:

"Car waxes are derived from natural ingredients (such as carnauba) and produce a warm glow that enhances the colors below. Paint sealants are entirely synthetic polymer-based solutions which produce a candy or glass-like look and provide longer lasting protection for your car's paint."

So if the product is made of synthetic polymers, it is a sealant.

Carnauba wax provides the warmest glow, but is not as durable as sealants. Carnauba wax won't last as long and will degrade more when exposed to heat.

There are products on the market that actually combine natural and synthetic waxes with polymers. For example, Turtle Wax Seal and Shine combines polymers and carnauba wax.

Up until recently, the most advanced type of sealants were ceramic. They have SiO2 in them that gives them even better performance. Within the last few months, graphene-infused sealants have made their appearance and are the latest and greatest technology available right now.

Reactions: TheNeck
I was originally thinking I would do ceramic coating on top of my Xpel Ultimate PPF. Do you suggest one of the sealants you've listed here instead?

Both a ceramic coating and a ceramic spray sealant are good options on top of PPF. Each offers a unique set of pros and cons, so it really comes down to a personal preference.

A ceramic coating will provide the most durable protection. Of course, you still have to wash your car, but a ceramic coating will make it much easier and faster to wash your car and keep it clean. With a coating, you need to apply a ceramic booster spray once every 3 or 4 months to maintain the coating and extend its lifespan. The biggest cons of coatings are that a professional coating can be very expensive and DIY coatings, while cheaper and relatively easy to apply, are not very forgiving. If you make a mistake installing a coating, for example you leave it on the paint too long or you leave some visible high spots, the only way to correct the error is to machine compound it off and start over.

The cons of ceramic spray sealants is that 1) they are not nearly as durable as coatings and 2) you will need to reapply the sealant once every 3-5 months. The pros are that 1) they are much cheaper than coatings 2) they are very easy to apply and 3) they are very forgiving. If you apply too much or leave it on the paint too long, it is no problem.

Personally, I enjoy washing my car. So I chose to put all of my money into PPF. I have never used a ceramic coating. I prefer ceramic spray sealants. I apply a base layer every 2-3 months and then I use the same ceramic spray sealant as a drying aid after each wash. Using the sealant as a drying aid reduces the chances of inducing scratches and swirls while drying and it replenishes the sealant.

Both a ceramic coating and a ceramic spray sealant are good options on top of PPF. Each offers a unique set of pros and cons, so it really comes down to a personal preference.

A ceramic coating will provide the most durable protection. Of course, you still have to wash your car, but a ceramic coating will make it much easier and faster to wash your car and keep it clean. With a coating, you need to apply a ceramic booster spray once every 3 or 4 months to maintain the coating and extend its lifespan. The biggest cons of coatings are that a professional coating can be very expensive and DIY coatings, while cheaper and relatively easy to apply, are not very forgiving. If you make a mistake installing a coating, for example you leave it on the paint too long or you leave some visible high spots, the only way to correct the error is to machine compound it off and start over.

The cons of ceramic spray sealants is that 1) they are not nearly as durable as coatings and 2) you will need to reapply the sealant once every 3-5 months. The pros are that 1) they are much cheaper than coatings 2) they are very easy to apply and 3) they are very forgiving. If you apply too much or leave it on the paint too long, it is no problem.

Personally, I enjoy washing my car. So I chose to put all of my money into PPF. I have never used a ceramic coating. I prefer ceramic spray sealants. I apply a base layer every 2-3 months and then I use the same ceramic spray sealant as a drying aid after each wash. Using the sealant as a drying aid reduces the chances of inducing scratches and swirls while drying and it replenishes the sealant.
Wow, thank you for the great background and differences. I didn't realize ceramic was so unforgiving.

I am currently in the process of installing PPF DIY. Once I'm done, I plan to cover with a ceramic coating or spray. I'll give this discussion and ceramic sprays another look.

I don't have a ton of time to keep my car washed and looking great, unfortunately. Water beading and quick car washes is a huge incentive for me. If I could accomplish that with ceramic spray it sounds like a win over trying to DIY the coating.

Reactions: joebruin77