Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Xpel ultimate PPF price - good deal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sounds good to me and actually low. It always depends on the installer and location (the local market, what labor costs are), and I'd check out other work they have done. Full wraps with Xpel or Suntek are between $4000 and $6000 for an S or X. So, you can see why that seems a tad under! :D

Is $1,100 for Xpel ultimate PPF full front (full hood ,bumper, fenders and mirrors) a good deal?

Seems good for Iowa. I'm getting numerous quotes in at $1400 for a full front in the Chicagoland area.

One thing you may want to consider is getting the doors done in addition to the full front. That's what I'm doing.

There's a thread somewhere in this site about the spray pattern on the X hitting the lower part of the doors hard. After my first wash, I can see why. That's where the bulk of the dirt was in mine.

Seems good for Iowa. I'm getting numerous quotes in at $1400 for a full front in the Chicagoland area.

One thing you may want to consider is getting the doors done in addition to the full front. That's what I'm doing.

There's a thread somewhere in this site about the spray pattern on the X hitting the lower part of the doors hard. After my first wash, I can see why. That's where the bulk of the dirt was in mine.

Are you doing ceramic coating as well or just Xpel?

As Kev1n said, that sounds right. I'm dropping mine off at 7AM and picking it up at the end of the next day, so it's two full working days.

I believe as much of the work goes into prepping the surface as any other part of the process.

I'm not doing a full ceramic coating on the vehicle at this time. But he is coating on top of the wrapped area.

As Kev1n said, that sounds right. I'm dropping mine off at 7AM and picking it up at the end of the next day, so it's two full working days.

I believe as much of the work goes into prepping the surface as any other part of the process.

I'm not doing a full ceramic coating on the vehicle at this time. But he is coating on top of the wrapped area.

That's not that bad. For doing a full wrap, I was quoted between 4 - 7 business days, since the first day or two would be paint correction, then wash/claybar, then film install and they let it cure for a bit.

Depends on the total amount of work done on the car I guess. Times will definitely vary.

Where are you getting it done? I'm picking up my Model x end of July and I've been looking for a place to get it done in Chicago.

$1100 is lowest price I have seen on forums ...ask if they are hand cutting or using pre cut ...some folks are partial to full tuck versus visible lines ..I have had mixed experiences with wrapped edges ..and decided not to go that route On latest wrap ...also expel is probably the least glossiest film ..if you wanted a different look other films are glossier

I would think it depends on the amount of work the shop puts into prep (i.e., paint correction).

I got only the front wrapped at first (subsequently found the sides of an X gets pummeled by road debris, so it's fully wrapped now), and it was $1800 (Seattle area).

Granted, my 'guy' does super high-end cars... so I know I'm paying a premium. However, after seeing some of the cars he's working on, and how much work they put into prep... I decided that protecting my $100K+ car was worth a few extra $$'s!

It took 2 days for the prep, then most of the 3rd day to apply/cure the Xpel film (hand cut, wrapped edges where possible).

For those that say that Xpel is the 'least glossy'... I would have to disagree. Once I saw the front done, I couldn't wait to get the rest of the X done! Maybe it appears less glossy if less prep work is done? I dunno, admittedly. But I do know that mine looks amazing! Many, many thanks to Eastside Auto Salon for the amazing work they did!!

Oh, and the front portion of the wrap consisted of: Full hood; both front fenders (quarter-panels); full bumper; side-view mirrors.

I can't stress this enough... if you are 'iffy' on doing more than just the front... AT LEAST do the FWD's! Mine got toasted so bad by nothing more than standard road debris, that I had to have them repainted before the wrap! This was at less than 2K miles! Check the forums... there are many pics of the damage that can be done to the FWD's.

Even though I was ecstatic with the Xpel... I decided on a full Modesta coating as well. Gotta say, my X looks AMAZE-BALLS now!! :)

Any downfall with wrapped edges? Also they said will wrap edges that can be wrapped. What does that exactly mean? I’m guessing they mean all exposed edges as they cannot get to the edges that are attached to car. And is precut a good thing or what would be the difference in quality?

Fully wrapped u need to take off panels to get a good grip ..pre cut may leave some exposed edges ..my experience with wrapped edges is they don’t adhere well and eventually starts to come off ..this after four years ...and yes I went to a premier shop in SoCal so it’s not installed issue .... @Brian's ReX ...your expel may seem glossier as you put Modesta on ? I have used three types of film on other Tesla’s Suntek , expel and now STEK ...at least from my perspective the expel had more “orange peel” look to it ...unless there is a newer film out there ... @modelXiowa you should ask also how much paint correction they will do ...at a minimum they should clay bar it ,.but since you have new car I would think single stage paint correction should be fine

. @Brian's ReX ...your expel may seem glossier as you put Modesta on ?

Full disclosure: Yes, the Modesta made a huge difference overall. However, when I saw my X with only the Xpel applied on the front, I could see how much better the front looked as compared to the front doors aft, which had no Xpel at that point.

IMO, it would seem that Tesla's paint job is quite inconsistent even within a single line of vehicles. In comparing my red X with a neighbor's blue X (which I believe is also a '17), hers appeared much more glossy (this was before any wrap or coating on mine). Maybe that's why just an Xpel wrap seemed like it was the glossiest part of my car...

That is also possibly why the 'paint correction' part of my process took 2 days, when others say theirs took one day (or less).

Reactions: P85_DA
I would think it depends on the amount of work the shop puts into prep (i.e., paint correction).

I got only the front wrapped at first (subsequently found the sides of an X gets pummeled by road debris, so it's fully wrapped now), and it was $1800 (Seattle area).

Granted, my 'guy' does super high-end cars... so I know I'm paying a premium. However, after seeing some of the cars he's working on, and how much work they put into prep... I decided that protecting my $100K+ car was worth a few extra $$'s!

It took 2 days for the prep, then most of the 3rd day to apply/cure the Xpel film (hand cut, wrapped edges where possible).

For those that say that Xpel is the 'least glossy'... I would have to disagree. Once I saw the front done, I couldn't wait to get the rest of the X done! Maybe it appears less glossy if less prep work is done? I dunno, admittedly. But I do know that mine looks amazing! Many, many thanks to Eastside Auto Salon for the amazing work they did!!

Oh, and the front portion of the wrap consisted of: Full hood; both front fenders (quarter-panels); full bumper; side-view mirrors.

I can't stress this enough... if you are 'iffy' on doing more than just the front... AT LEAST do the FWD's! Mine got toasted so bad by nothing more than standard road debris, that I had to have them repainted before the wrap! This was at less than 2K miles! Check the forums... there are many pics of the damage that can be done to the FWD's.

Even though I was ecstatic with the Xpel... I decided on a full Modesta coating as well. Gotta say, my X looks AMAZE-BALLS now!! :)
Can you share some pics with the xpel and Modesta please?

@modelXiowa ...modesta will look good over any film ...downside is its pricey ..starts around $2500ish ...for comparison Ceramic Pro Gold will set u back 900-1100...if you really want a glossy look film alone ...not sure what color car you have but look at Clearguard Nano film or STEK both are glossy as is