Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

XPEL Ultimate vs Stealth with Ceramic Coating Ease of Maintenance in Dirt/Snow/Salt

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I see there are tons of posts and pictures on the two popular forms of PPF, gloss/clear/Ultimate vs satin/matte/Stealth, and I have gone through many of them. What I don't see discussed is specifically a comparison between the Ultimate and Stealth (both with ceramic coating) on which is less likely to have contaminants like dirt/snow/salt stick to them and how easy comparatively it is to wash off from each type of film.

Being in the Northeast, especially in the winter, it is not going to be practical to wash the car routinely, so pure looks aside, looking to factor any potential function advantage in each type of film in the decision (Blue Stealth vs Red Gloss if you're wondering about the colors). My impression is that the Stealth seems to be smoother to the touch and less "sticky" in comparison to the Ultimate, so perhaps the contaminants would be less likely to stick and be easier to clean off on the Stealth. But perhaps that is a misconception and there is little difference at all?

If someone has experience with both types and can comment on the above, I'd greatly appreciate it! Dirty MY pictures welcome too!

I just installed Xpel Ultimate on my red MYP and my brother has Xpel Stealth on his red MYLR.
Functionality wise, they are both the same and do the same thing. The difference is the appearance, and the stealth is harder to keep it clean due to its matte finish and if you have any gap or not covered area, your gloss paint underneath will show.
Also, oil, fingerprint, and any other contaminants will show more on the stealth.
Personally, I think the stealth or any matte finish makes the car look cheap, and you will have to spend more time to keep it clean.

Reactions: Halldawg
Are you dead set on PFF or looking for easiest wash maintenance over time? The benefits of ceramic on top of PFF will not last nearly as long as applying ceramic on top of clear coat alone. You'll get 2, 3 years max with the best ceramic on top of XPEL PFF. Additionally, Gtechniq will not warranty the coating for 10-years if it's applied on top of PFF. I'd agree that Stealth film is not my cup of tea.

I just installed Xpel Ultimate on my red MYP and my brother has Xpel Stealth on his red MYLR.
Functionality wise, they are both the same and do the same thing. The difference is the appearance, and the stealth is harder to keep it clean due to its matte finish and if you have any gap or not covered area, your gloss paint underneath will show.
Also, oil, fingerprint, and any other contaminants will show more on the stealth.
Personally, I think the stealth or any matte finish makes the car look cheap, and you will have to spend more time to keep it clean.
Thank you for this. Did you both also have ceramic coating applied? I think I read that adds to the easy to clean factor especially for the Stealth?

Are you dead set on PFF or looking for easiest wash maintenance over time? The benefits of ceramic on top of PFF will not last nearly as long as applying ceramic on top of clear coat alone. You'll get 2, 3 years max with the best ceramic on top of XPEL PFF. Additionally, Gtechniq will not warranty the coating for 10-years if it's applied on top of PFF. I'd agree that Stealth film is not my cup of tea.
We are pretty certain on PPF. All our previous vehicles without it all look hideous from chips

I think the stealth on red makes it look like it needs a wash to start with. I like the stealth on some other colors. My friend has a black X in stealth and it looks great. The MSM looks good in stealth too, just not red.