Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

XPEL Wear & Tear Kit for Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was browsing the XPEL Pre-Cut kits for Model Y. They are all pretty self-explanatory to me except the Wear & Tear Kit. Here is a picture. Obviously there are pieces for the door handles, but what are the other large pieces for?

P8204A-U_00.gif

I suppose A is for the lower part of the front bumper, below the opening?

Any idea where B and C go? They are positioned in the diagram as if they are matching pieces for the left and right, but B seems too short for a door piece. And I can't see any panel that is curved like C.

EDIT: Most of the other kits have the front at the bottom, but actually I think this one might be reversed. If the bottom is the rear, it makes a bit more sense. Maybe A is the spoiler then. Still not quite sure about B and C.

I'm intrigued by the rocker panel kit . . . how hard is this for someone who has never done PPF to install on their own?? I see the difficulty rating of 3 / 5 . . .

Yeah, I have never done it either but of all the kits the rockers seem pretty manageable. More or less all close to rectangular pieces with no cutouts (except for one small piece on each side), curved surfaces, or anything to wrap under. By contrast I have watched videos of people doing the front bumper and it looks horrendous for a DIY.

I did the XPEL rocker panel kit DIY: Rear door paint chips/road rash poll

There were about 5 small bubbles that disappeared on their own mostly after a few days, and completely after a month (for 2 larger bubbles). XPEL film allows some moisture to evaporate through the film. Rule-of-thumb is if the bubble is smaller than a dime, leave it alone and just try not to apply any pressure or touch it until the bubble disappears or you'll end up with adhesive/crease marks when it dries. I did not do this but much larger bubbles can be popped using a hypodermic needle (google/youtube prior to trying). A professional using this kit may have ended up with same result or done only 10% better and probably not have trapped the bit of lint in one area (reference: my car's front was done by the STEK nationwide dealer and highly-respected detailing shop using STEK DYNOshield, and they put the car on jack stands prior to their work, and I can spot a few imperfections; btw the STEK and XPEL films are great and blend together nicely).

Prior to this, I did an application of XPEL bulk film that I cut to cover a similar area of the door bottoms (less than $40 in materials) and wrapped around the edges; ended up with bubbles and the edges not wrapping correctly and looked sloppy to my eyes. With that experience, felt it was worth it to get the XPEL precut film (at over $300) that did not have to wrap around the edges.

• Helpful
Reactions: Jungl3 and Modulus1