Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Xpel Wrap checklist?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Xpel wraps are almost here. It's taken 3 weeks because the detailer has been so busy, but the pickup date is tomorrow. I got one with Xpel Ultimate and a second with Xpel Stealth, both full body. Does full body mean all lights are wrapped as well? What should I look out for to determine if they're done right? It's supposed to be custom cut so I'll be on the look out for wrapped edges, but that's all I know. Are the inside painted parts where the FWDs sit supposed to be wrapped? Also, how to tell if ceramic coating is on?
Thank you!

those are all very important questions...for your installer to answer. Every shop is different. I don't know what you purchased as far as a package deal or whatever from the shop installing it all. I also dont understand the 3 week wait for it to arrive? If it is a custom install, that usually means it will be hand cut. So, why 3 weeks for shipping? I buy my Xpel by the roll and it arrives in a day or 2. I don't know what you meant by the "FWDs sit" either. Did you buy 2 Teslas? Getting 1 wrapped in Stealth and 1 regular Xpel?

those are all very important questions...for your installer to answer. Every shop is different. I don't know what you purchased as far as a package deal or whatever from the shop installing it all. I also dont understand the 3 week wait for it to arrive? If it is a custom install, that usually means it will be hand cut. So, why 3 weeks for shipping? I buy my Xpel by the roll and it arrives in a day or 2. I don't know what you meant by the "FWDs sit" either. Did you buy 2 Teslas? Getting 1 wrapped in Stealth and 1 regular Xpel?
Is the doorjamb (the white part in that pink car, not my car of course) typically wrapped? It took the detailer 3 weeks to wrap both of my Xs, 1 Stealth, 1 Ultimate. A bit long but as long as they're done right. And how to tell if ceramic coating is on?

Attachments

• doorjamb.jpg
    doorjamb.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 146
Is the doorjamb (the white part in that pink car, not my car of course) typically wrapped? It took the detailer 3 weeks to wrap both of my Xs, 1 Stealth, 1 Ultimate. A bit long but as long as they're done right. And how to tell if ceramic coating is on?
On a "color change" wrap, wrapping the inner door jams is an add-on. For clear bra (PPF), it isn't "standard", but you can ask your installer to do it. they shouldn't be too spendy.

My Xpel wraps are almost here. It's taken 3 weeks because the detailer has been so busy, but the pickup date is tomorrow. I got one with Xpel Ultimate and a second with Xpel Stealth, both full body. Does full body mean all lights are wrapped as well? What should I look out for to determine if they're done right? It's supposed to be custom cut so I'll be on the look out for wrapped edges, but that's all I know. Are the inside painted parts where the FWDs sit supposed to be wrapped? Also, how to tell if ceramic coating is on?
Thank you!

First off, thank you tremendously for choosing XPEL to protect both of your X's. Full body should include headlights and fog lights on the ULTIMATE PLUS X and on the STEALTH X, they should've installed ULTIMATE PLUS onto the headlights and fog lights.

Be sure to check edges to make sure they're wrapped where possible. Note that not all panels can be wrapped so be sure to go over this with your installer.

On the inside painted parts, it depends if you discussed this with your installer.

On the ceramic coating, you can usually feel that the surface is much smoother and if you pour water on it, you should see it bead up.

First off, thank you tremendously for choosing XPEL to protect both of your X's. Full body should include headlights and fog lights on the ULTIMATE PLUS X and on the STEALTH X, they should've installed ULTIMATE PLUS onto the headlights and fog lights.

Be sure to check edges to make sure they're wrapped where possible. Note that not all panels can be wrapped so be sure to go over this with your installer.

On the inside painted parts, it depends if you discussed this with your installer.

On the ceramic coating, you can usually feel that the surface is much smoother and if you pour water on it, you should see it bead up.
Thank you for chiming in. Is it common practice to use a syringe to pop bubbles after wrap completion? My cars contained lots of bubbles, I'd estimate it to be around 50. My detailer used a syringe to either remove the air or inject a liquid in in some of the bubbles but not all. Doesn't that introduce holes in the wrap? More importantly, the wraps went over all the proximity sensors which I think caused "Limited View" and "Autopilot is limited" warnings. As discussed in another thread, other owners said their cars' sensors are exposed and mine need to be exposed. Do you find this to be the case? I'm going to have the detailer (he made an appointment for me in 3 weeks to go over the cars again and remove all the bubbles/address any concerns) expose the sensors. Last thing, the edge of the front bumper where it dips into the air intake is exposed by about a quarter inch on one side. Can anything be done except to redo the bumper wrap? Thank you! Great product!

Thank you for chiming in. Is it common practice to use a syringe to pop bubbles after wrap completion? My cars contained lots of bubbles, I'd estimate it to be around 50. My detailer used a syringe to either remove the air or inject a liquid in in some of the bubbles but not all. Doesn't that introduce holes in the wrap? More importantly, the wraps went over all the proximity sensors which I think caused "Limited View" and "Autopilot is limited" warnings. As discussed in another thread, other owners said their cars' sensors are exposed and mine need to be exposed. Do you find this to be the case? I'm going to have the detailer (he made an appointment for me in 3 weeks to go over the cars again and remove all the bubbles/address any concerns) expose the sensors. Last thing, the edge of the front bumper where it dips into the air intake is exposed by about a quarter inch on one side. Can anything be done except to redo the bumper wrap? Thank you! Great product!

teethdood,

Happy to help. It is fairly common practice to use a syringe to pop bubbles, however there are normally nowhere near 50.

On the parking sensors question - I called a couple local shop owners around the country and some said they never put film on ANY car sensors and some say they've done it on all cars including Tesla and never had a warning come on the dash or a complaint from an owner. It sounds like a case by case situation but to be 100% certain, you could just have the film removed/cut around the sensors.

For the bumper, can you upload a picture? 1/4 inch does seem a bit excessive. To fix that though would be just to re-do the bumper section.

teethdood,

Happy to help. It is fairly common practice to use a syringe to pop bubbles, however there are normally nowhere near 50.

On the parking sensors question - I called a couple local shop owners around the country and some said they never put film on ANY car sensors and some say they've done it on all cars including Tesla and never had a warning come on the dash or a complaint from an owner. It sounds like a case by case situation but to be 100% certain, you could just have the film removed/cut around the sensors.

For the bumper, can you upload a picture? 1/4 inch does seem a bit excessive. To fix that though would be just to re-do the bumper section.
Please note the shiny part under the curved section.
20190102_144102.jpg

I would say that's a little large of a seam, especially because it's a STEALTH wrap and you're going for a difference in sheen. I would take it to your installer and see what they can do about correcting that.

Who is your installer? If you don't want to say here, you can email us directly at [email protected].
I'll check with the installer to see what he can do to resolve the issue. I took his word that this is how it is supposed to look like. Please don't mind me not revealing who the installer is. He did say that he wants the wraps to set/cure for 3 weeks before addressing any concerns (besides the gap which he said is how it's supposed to be despite it being on one side only). I'll push the issue with him.

I'll check with Tesla to see why my limited Autopilot issue is happening. The same problem occurs in both cars so I'm assuming it's the wraps, but like you said, others had no issues with theirs wrapped. Strange. I'll keep you updated. Thank you again!

• Informative
Reactions: XPEL
Update: I spoke with Tesla service. They ran some remote diag on the autopilot issue. It turns out the front cameras by the fenders are out of calibration. The proximity sensors are ok wrapped because they never said anything. I guess when the detailer was wrapping it, he removed the cameras causing the calibration issues. I'm surprised to hear then that my cars are the only ones to develop this miscalibration issue. Tesla wants me to drop off both cars so they can do more diag and recalibrate them overnight. Problem is we live so far away. Gah!

• Informative
@XPEL I just scheduled my full application today & called back twice w/ questions so now I’m embarrassed, don’t want to call them again. Can you tell me if I should expect most edges to disappear around edges or are your patterns cut in a way that makes it so the edge is visible? For example, on the bottom edge of the door will I see the Xpel edge or will it wrap around to the inside so I can’t see it?

Thank you!

Those are totally normal questions. Different shops install the film in various levels of technique. In my opinion, you should not be able to easily see any edges of the material. Call your shop and ask for those answers and also ask to see pics of car they have done in a similar color to yours.

@XPEL I just scheduled my full application today & called back twice w/ questions so now I’m embarrassed, don’t want to call them again. Can you tell me if I should expect most edges to disappear around edges or are your patterns cut in a way that makes it so the edge is visible? For example, on the bottom edge of the door will I see the Xpel edge or will it wrap around to the inside so I can’t see it?

Thank you!

This is completely normal to have questions. We're happy to help. Depending on the edge, the XPEL Pattern will be marked extendable / wrap-able. Some edges with enough surface on the backside can be wrapped, while others will just go to the very edge of the body panel. You will be able to see some edges, but others will be invisible.

Just finished a DIY Xpel wrap for the hood of my MX. Worked out really well. Watched plenty of YouTube videos and trimmed the corners and points at the front of the hood. I ordered a sheet of Xpel big enough to cover the hood (not a precut pattern). Then I created a pattern using painters paper (the very thin paper on rolls sold to block off areas), transferred it to the Xpel sheet, and cut it out.

Doing the mirrors and the bumper next.

Had a shop do my model 3 and figured I'd give it a try. So far so good.

On mine. If you open all the doors, you can still see original color on the frame itself. This is hidden when the doors are closed, but i kinda like it there so i can show people the original color.