TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Xpel Wrap - Seams?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Interior & Exterior' started by ozymandius100, May 24, 2018.

1. ozymandius100

ozymandius100 Member

Is it common to see seams on a xpel wrap, or any PPF for that matter? I just had my M3 done, and I can see them at many locations. I am waiting to talk to the place that did the work, but I wanted to get some expectations first. See the pictures below (ignore my ugly mug from one of them please :) )

Attached Files:

2. Fusion

Fusion Member

They might of used a plotter to pre-cut and install. That would be normal. Usually seamless would be the ones that do full sheets and hand cut and fold over. That and I don't really see the seams.... haha

• Like x 1
  3. dhu1

dhu1 Member

For my MX, I had the Xpel precut versions installed and yes if you look close enough (like you're doing) you see the seams. With the precut, they don't wrap over the edges and fold it (as Fusion mentions).

For my M3, I had it done custom by a different installer with Clearguard Nano since at that time, the pre-cut Xpel versions were not available yet. On that installation you do not see any seams or can tell that it has been wrapped. Having said that it, the custom install was more expensive for less coverage area than the MX. The MX was wrapped everywhere (mind you a lot more surface area) vs I did not do the doors for the M3 and it costed about the same.

In the end, I don't look close enough to care one way or another--I am just happy to have the protection given the amount of rocks and debris I deal with on my commute. So far, it has saved me numerous times as the PPF just self heals and my car is back to new.

4. ozymandius100

ozymandius100 Member

Thanks. I guess for a partial wrap (front panels, bumper, no doors etc) at $2500, I was expecting more.

5. tpham07

tpham07 Active Member

my wrap has seams too. after seeing the high quality professional wraps on the TMC im pretty disappointed I got an unskilled job done. I've had instances of peeling in less than 1 year owning the wrap.

6. kev1n

kev1n Member

most shops use a pre-cut design and do edits to it to add extra inches.

the better shops will do their best to wrap around where it is possible but you will still get a seam here and there as the material is not as flexible if you are comparing it to something like a vinyl wrap.

7. dhu1

dhu1 Member

Look at it this way, for slightly more coverage on my M3 (I got lights, mirrors, and rocker panels), I paid well over $4k. It is not easy work to do this stuff and to do it well takes skill.

• Like x 1
  8. kev1n

kev1n Member

$4000 for full front + rocker panels?

9. outdoors

outdoors Member

Certain areas can be tucked/wrapped. Some can't without removing panels. Removing panlels is a whole new ball of wax. Should be darn close to edge.

10. dhu1

dhu1 Member

front bumper, front hood, front side panels, mirrors, lights, back bumper, rocker panel

11. ozymandius100

ozymandius100 Member

I was able to get hood, front bumper(full), front fenders, mirrors, A pillar (both sides of windshield), fog lights and luggage trim for $2500, but I see those pesky seams

12. electricFeel

electricFeel New Member

I talked to a shop and although they use a plotter, they enlarge the pieces to allow them to wrap around the edges. Thanks for the pictures. Now I know how I want it done.

13. ozymandius100

ozymandius100 Member

I talked at length with my shop. they did advise me that even if they enlarge the pieces, there are certain locations where they dont have enough angle to adhere the pieces to the car and therefore the gap.

14. johndorian

johndorian Member

Your last pic, there is already a gouge in it... How did they manage that? Some of those don't look great, I wouldn't be happy if I were you.

15. ozymandius100

ozymandius100 Member

I am keeping it as if for a few weeks and they are redoing it. And yes, I’m not very happy at the moment.

16. Motor Mouth

Motor Mouth Member

Agree that - whether your installer uses precut or custom wraps it - this is difficult work and the actual person installing it makes all the difference. My installer said he doesn't use Xpel because it tends to lift more than Suntek. Whatever they use, however, it's more art than science. It helps if your installer isn't overworked and is something of an enthusiast.

17. bnsfengineer

bnsfengineer Member

Totally agree, folks get caught up with the brand when most of the new films will last for years but the bottom line comes down to the installer.... his experience.

18. Cookiemobster

Cookiemobster Member

Just curious what your mirror wrap looks like. I just had mine done and I assumed the whole mirror would be wrapped. They didn’t cover any part of the mirror that parallels the car when folded out. Did they wrap your whole mirror?

19. TheLocNar

TheLocNar Member

This. Any shop worth their $$$ will know this and do it right. While you won't be totally seamless, it should be minimal if they have skill.

• Like x 1
  20. kev1n

kev1n Member

that is how most shops do it. they cannot wrap the whole thing in one piece due to the shape