Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Xpel Wrapping and Removing Side Cameras

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Decided to get my new MX100D fully wrapped. Found a highly recommended group locally that can do the work. I can see from many others that sensors won't be an issue if done correctly (i.e., cut outs for the ultrasonic sensors, etc).

Quick question, noticed these places remove the side cameras/blinkers. Any issues with this? Would the car need autopilot to recalibrate after they reinstall the cameras? Did some searches on these forums (Xpel, Wrap, Cameras) and couldn't find anything. I'm assuming all is good.

Loving the MX thus far!

I did my wrap myself and its quite simple to remove the cameras. No need to recalibrate. Are you doing the chrome delete? It's a must IMO. The side mirrors are a pain in the butt with how they fold and all. Tough to get the entire mirror in one piece. Good luck and post pics when complete.

Agreed. no re-calibration needed. We pull the side cameras, wrap the full fenders, and pop them back in afterwards. Done a lot these without ever having an issue. Sorry that we didn't get your business though. El Dorado Hills isn't that far away. Keep us in mind next time or for your window tinting needs too.

The fender camera/sensor are not supposed to have double sided adhesive holding them in. There are 4 plastic clips that hold them in very tightly. They should not be loose at all.

We remove them hide the edges of the Paint Protection Film for a cleaner finished result.
Not the sensor or assembly itself, just the chrome trim across the top. If that's the case then it must be glued. Either way mobile service is taking care of it. As if 2 weeks ago the part is on order

We remove those side cameras for install on every M3/MS/MX that receives a front end package (meaning the full fenders get PPF). Have not had an issue once. Estimate 2000+ vehicles. The process is fairly straightforward, and for the most invisible install possible we recommend removing them to get film behind it.

-Kevin

Decided to get my new MX100D fully wrapped. Found a highly recommended group locally that can do the work. I can see from many others that sensors won't be an issue if done correctly (i.e., cut outs for the ultrasonic sensors, etc).

Quick question, noticed these places remove the side cameras/blinkers. Any issues with this? Would the car need autopilot to recalibrate after they reinstall the cameras? Did some searches on these forums (Xpel, Wrap, Cameras) and couldn't find anything. I'm assuming all is good.

Loving the MX thus far!

Doc, i will be in Folsom are tomorrow and looking to wrap my MX.
do you have any recommendations? cost? how long did it takes?

feel free to email me at 503-880-6991

thx Art

So, is it possible for the ppf to be installed appropriately without removing the side camera's?
I just saw my install leave them in. I do not believe that they can successfully wrap the edges in the fender port. Thoughts?

Wait, "CAN you install PPF on the front fenders without removing the cameras AND still have it look AS GOOD AS POSSIBLE?"

My answer is "no". When you are a reputable shop that KNOWS these vehicles and KNOWS how to correctly remove and reinstall the cameras without causing any issues, then that is what you do. If you do not take this very easy extra step, you will need to rely on the computer cut plotter pattern. These patterns are usually very good and quite accurate...but NOT the best possible installation. YOU WILL SEE THE EDGES OF THE MATERIAL AROUND THAT CAMERA. If you are aiming for "good enough", then you will be happy. If your standards are higher, then confirm that the shop WILL be removing the cameras and confirm that you do not want to see the edges of the material around the cameras. If they say they will remove the cameras, then let them do their job. If they sell you on how great their patterns are and that you will "barely see..." then they are a "good enough" shop.

As for the concern for the "fray", it is 100% the shop's responsibility to make sure this doesn't happen.

Last edited:
Reactions: EliteFinish
Wait, "CAN you install PPF on the front fenders without removing the cameras AND still have it look AS GOOD AS POSSIBLE?"

my answer is "no". When you are a reputable shop that KNOWS these vehicles and KNOWS how to correctly remove and reinstall the cameras without causing any issues, then that is what you do. If you do not take this very easy extra step, you will need to rely on the computer cut plotter pattern. These patterns are usually very good and quite accurate...but NOT the best possible installation. YOU WILL SEE THE EDGES OF THE MATERIAL AROUND THAT CAMERA. If you are aiming for "good enough", then you will be happy. If your standards are higher, then confirm that the shop WILL be removing the cameras and confirm that you do not want to see the edges of the material around the cameras. If they say they will remove the cameras, then let them do their job. If they sell you on how great their patterns are and that you will "barely see..." then they are a "good enough" shop.

As for the concern for the "fray", it the 100% the shop's responsibility to make sure this doesn't happen.
Thanks much.