TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

xpel wrapping vs. periodic maintenance / detailing

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by gnychis, Feb 1, 2014.

1. bancroftc

bancroftc Member

This is precisely why I ended up wrapping about 90% of my paint in Xpel. This, and things like Leoph's story! I initially just did the full front, but as soon as I got it back I was wishing I had done more. So I ended up getting the doors and rear quarter panels done too. With my past cars (which I didn't really put much thought into the paint at all) had each ended up with at the minimum a door ding or paint scratch(es) and one instance very similar to Leoph's photo above. My past vehicles, being SUV's, always felt more utilitarian and so I usually just let those things go and never got them fixed.

The thought of a door scratch or side swipe on my Tesla would drive me insane. So it ended up getting fully wrapped and I haven't looked back. Love the look and LOVE not having to worry about scratching, swirling, bird pooping type issues!

It definitely wasn't cheap but it was most definitely "worth it."

2. paintpolisher

paintpolisher Banned

Your paint has to be 100% clean before installing the cover and make sure the coating is 100% cured (at least 30 days) prior to using the cover. You will still end up w swirls/marring on the unfilmed areas from installation/removal and when it's windy the cover will move on the car.