Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

XPEL XR + and a blueish tinge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have MY with white interior and got 35% XPEL XR + installed on front windows. I wouldn't say I liked the tint as it has a blue tinge. My windshield is not tinted, and the interior looks lovely, with bright white sits when I look inside the car through the windshield. But through the side windows, the interior gets a noticeable blue tinge, and it looks much worse. Also, my eyes are not happy while driving, looking through the front driver window with a blueish tinge. It reminds me of looking at a computer display with a blue tint. On the rear windows+trunk window, the installer put 70% XPEL XR +. Because those windows are dark glass at ~20% VLT, it's difficult to say if 70% tint added some blue tinge. I want to do the windshield, but I'm not sure if the 70% XPEL XR+ also has a blueish tinge.
XPEL XR+ tints are popular, and I wonder if you experienced the same issue with the blueish tinge?

Here is how it looks.

Attachments

• 20220714_082626.jpg
    20220714_082626.jpg
    382.7 KB · Views: 2,875
  • 20220714_082653.jpg
    20220714_082653.jpg
    462.2 KB · Views: 1,862
  • 20220714_082718.jpg
    20220714_082718.jpg
    317.7 KB · Views: 1,790
  • 20220714_082803.jpg
    20220714_082803.jpg
    407.7 KB · Views: 2,201
I've got XR Black 30% on my wife's MYP and the fronts are definitely slightly blue/green. Prime CS appears to be a better color match for the OEM rears than either of the ceramic films are, might try swapping out for that at some point. I believe this is why some people go darker on the front tint because it masks the color difference and appears more uniform. 30% film on glass meters just BARELY lighter than the OEM rears even though it appears lighter due to the amount of light coming in from the windshield.

I'll try to post a pic up later showing the difference.

Reactions: eugenege
Different tints have different color characteristics... some are more brown, others are gray, some black, and others like you have, blueish.
Unfortunately, my installer doesn't carry XPEL XR Black. So that's why I went with XR+. I asked the installer to put a piece of 70% XR+ on the windshield, and the hue was significantly less noticeable, and I felt less eye strain compared to 35%. So I decided to change 35% to 70%.
I checked with another installer who carries XR Black, but he said that for windshields, he uses XR+ only. So I guess I'll go with 70% XR+ for the windshield as well.

I've got XR Black 30% on my wife's MYP and the fronts are definitely slightly blue/green. Prime CS appears to be a better color match for the OEM rears than either of the ceramic films are, might try swapping out for that at some point. I believe this is why some people go darker on the front tint because it masks the color difference and appears more uniform. 30% film on glass meters just BARELY lighter than the OEM rears even though it appears lighter due to the amount of light coming in from the windshield.

I'll try to post a pic up later showing the difference.
Good to know that XR Black doesn't have a grey/black hue (that's what I thought it should be).

The best solution would be to have XR+ 70% put on the front windshield so you don't notice the difference so much. I have XR+ 70/35 and love the clarity and heat blocking properties even if there is some blue to it. Ceramic films tend the have a blue hue just so you're aware. The older Suntek CIR had a greenish tinge that I really didn't want but Suntek CIR and Suntek Evolve are both blueish.

I recently had our Model Y done with Suntek Evolve and it looks a lot like Xpel does except the clarify isn't as good. I definitely notice more haze from the inside when the sun is coming in low from the sides. I had 70% put on the windshield, 20% on the front doors, and 50% everywhere else.

Reactions: eugenege
Here is how it looks.
Hi. Really hope you see this. Could you please post a couple pictures from the side of the car with the windows up please? I am in a dilemma with my upcoming blue Model Y with white interior. I want as close to a uniform match as possible between front and back windows while staying within the legal limit in my state of AZ which is why I am leaning towards the exact same percentages as you and the same Xpel XR+ tint. I really would like to see how it looks but I cannot find any pictures online except for the ones you already posted. I would really appreciate it! Thank you!

It's cloudy right now. See the attached. 35% XR Black front sides and 70%XR+ all around including windshield.
I finally went to another XPEL-authorized installer. He gave me a sample of 35% XR+, and it didn't have the blue hue that I had on my car. The installer said that I got something else, but not XR+. I would agree that something went wrong with the installation, as the sample of 35% XR+ didn't have that strong blue hue in it. Also, he gave me a sample of 35% XR Black, and I liked it better for clarity. The TSER difference of those films is 3%, and IR rejection 96% vs 78%.
I chose 35% XR Black for better clarity. With 35% XR Black I can feel a bit of heat, but less than from 70% XR+ on the windshield. In any case, tinting windshield is a must IMO, as a lot of heat comes through it.
I'd recommend asking for samples before installation. It will help you to choose the right tint % knowing the legal limits. The first installer refused to provide me samples saying you'll be happy with the results. My fault that I agreed to that.

Attachments

• 35per XR Black front sides and 70perXR+ all around + windshield.jpg
    35per XR Black front sides and 70perXR+ all around + windshield.jpg
    535.5 KB · Views: 1,720
  • 35per XR Black front sides and 70perXR+ all around +windshield.jpg
    35per XR Black front sides and 70perXR+ all around +windshield.jpg
    690.6 KB · Views: 1,460
  • 35per XR Black front sides and 70perXR+ all around+windshield.jpg
    35per XR Black front sides and 70perXR+ all around+windshield.jpg
    580.5 KB · Views: 1,587
I had my MYP tinted last year and also did 70% Prime XR Plus over the factory dyed glass and 35% up front. My front windows look like a blue haze compared to when looking out through the back which are more green/yellowish hue. I had the same problem when I tinted a ‘22 Acura MDX. I somewhat regret not paying closer attention as I’ve only had coupes/sedans prior to this so everything would be uniform as there was no factory dyed glass to deal with.

I have 70% XR Plus on windshield and back windows, and 35% XR Plus driver and passenger windows. Right after the installation, there was noticable blue-ish haze, but it completely went away in about one week.
The only complaint I have is the windshield distortion view that I see when it's sunny outside and this effect is not visible at night time. Not sure at this point, is it the result of tinting, or it was like that before as well but I just didn't notice.