Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Xpel XR Prime Plus vs Spectra Photosync

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@Yankees Sorry for the late reply.
  • I prefer the optics of the Xpel XR Prime Plus over the Spectra Photosync. The Xpel just looks clearer because there doesn’t seem to be even a hint of blue cast (common in ceramic films).
  • It‘s way too early to judge durability. Both films look the same today as two weeks post install as I would expect.
  • The practical day to day heat rejection seems to be about the same. Maybe a slight edge to the Spectra Photosync. Both cars have white interior. However the MY with Photosync is MSM and the other is PWM.
  • We drove the MSM MY from San Francisco to Seattle 6 weeks ago and temps on the 5 were well in the 100s. Never once did we feel the sun was too intense in the front. Particularly, on the driver side in the late afternoon I notice I was not burning up. The AC had no problem keeping up either.

Thanks for the report, I went w/ XR non-Plus and am very happy with it. Temps have been over 100F here (we finally got a break this week) and night & day difference from before it was tinted. I had PhotoSync in the past and, while happy with it, IMO and in my usage I can’t justify the price diff compared to other current high-end films.

P.S. I posted a 4K video of how mine turned out in a tint thread.

Thanks for the report, I went w/ XR non-Plus and am very happy with it. Temps have been over 100F here (we finally got a break this week) and night & day difference from before it was tinted. I had PhotoSync in the past and, while happy with it, IMO and in my usage I can’t justify the price diff compared to other current high-end films.

P.S. I posted a 4K video of how mine turned out in a tint thread.
Would you mind post a link here? I tried to look at your post history but couldn't find it.

Also this thread has been very informative! I am happy to consider going with XR non-plus considering my budget and not needing to tint the roof panel as well. What transmission did you pick? I was thinking of 55% since I don't really care to get dark tint.

Would you mind post a link here? I tried to look at your post history but couldn't find it.

Also this thread has been very informative! I am happy to consider going with XR non-plus considering my budget and not needing to tint the roof panel as well. What transmission did you pick? I was thinking of 55% since I don't really care to get dark tint.
Sounds like watching my video will answer many of your questions, here it is (give it some love if you like it):

Sounds like watching my video will answer many of your questions, here it is (give it some love if you like it):
Thanks this is amazingly helpful. I was back and forth between Llumar Pinnacle and Prime XR Plus, but seeing this and other comments that XR Black is less blue has me leaning toward that instead. Pinnacle was super blue seeing it on a white/white MY, even though the sample on plain glass is charcoal with no color. Now the windshield I'll probably look into one of the untinted options instead.

• I prefer the optics of the Xpel XR Prime Plus over the Spectra Photosync. The Xpel just looks clearer because there doesn’t seem to be even a hint of blue cast (common in ceramic films).
Just to be clear, you're saying that the Xpel Prime XR Plus Ceramic does not have a hint of blue? Even on the darker tints?

The reason I ask is because I have Photosync on one Model S (75% windshield, 35% sides and back) and was looking to tint another one in the same shade combo. I was close to persuaded to go with Xpel Prime XR Plus Ceramic based on reading some threads.

But then the installer I reached out to cautioned that the darker tints (including 35%) can show blue. I don't perceive any blue on the 35% PhotoSync on the other car

Any additional thoughts / clarifications would be appreciated

Last edited:
Just to be clear, you're saying that the Xpel Prime XR Plus Ceramic does not have a hint of blue? Even on the darker tints?

The reason I ask is because I have Photosync on one Model S (75% windshield, 35% sides and back) and was looking to tint another one in the same shade combo. I was close to persuaded to go with Xpel Prime XR Plus Ceramic based on reading some threads.

But then the installer I reached out to cautioned that the darker tints (including 35%) can show blue. I don't perceive any blue on the 35% PhotoSync on the other car

It’s a cool blue and not extremely pronounced. I like it. It would only be problematic if you want to tint the two fronts like many people do, then you would notice a different shade when looking outside front vs rear

Reactions: matt_in_ca

The installer should have examples of all the shades on display. At mine, I could see that the 70% XR Plus was not blue, but all the darker shades had some blue cast. The opposite case for the regular XR Black (non-Plus), the 70% was a tiny bit blue but all other shades were pure charcoal. I ended up getting the XR Black and the difference in the heat/IR rating from XR Plus was negligible. 35% front side windows and 70% windshield.