Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Xpel XR Prime Plus vs Spectra Photosync

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The sunroofs of the Teslas have an IR blocking coating that is extremely efficient at blocking UV and IR. Adding a layer of window film won't result in a noticeable difference. Don't confuse this with the side glass and back glass though. The factory darkened glass does not have that same coating as the roof does.
That hasn't been my experience. There's a demonstrable difference on the roof with a high performance film vs. no film.

Reactions: whisperingshad
This was using Xpel's highest performance feat blocking film, the Prime XR Plus series. It is comparable to the Crystyline and Spectra.

I had no intention of threadjacking here. I just wanted to show that Tesla has an IR blocker built into the sunroof glass of the Model 3.
Did the front windshield have tint? Or was that factory? Was way less than direct sun from out the car

Funny thing is between the roof without tint and taking short 10 minute walks on my breaks, I have noticed I'm burned a bit from shirt neckline up. Will be interesting to see after tint installed in a few weeks if this goes away. lol . Never had the issue before during walks for the last few years. I do definitely notice head in car when sitting in it( ac on like 69 or 70) and temp is in 80s or higher. I will let ya guys know.

Reactions: Keye
Just to be clear, the glass isn't susceptible to cracking just because film is placed on it. It can crack because of the rapid absorption of heat and the heat having nowhere to go.
Where does the heat go in other glass, like side windows and the windshield? Is there any more info on this? Had the roof tinted on 2 separate model 3s w/ Suntek and no issues, now I’m debating if I should do our Y’s roof (a much bigger piece) or leave it.

Where does the heat go in other glass, like side windows and the windshield? Is there any more info on this? Had the roof tinted on 2 separate model 3s w/ Suntek and no issues, now I’m debating if I should do our Y’s roof (a much bigger piece) or leave it.
I suggest a search of TMC, Reddit, and Tesla forums. This topic has been covered ad nauseum. I also suggest speaking with a handful of reputable window tinters to get additional perspective. Many people have tinted their roof with no issues, while others have had cracking issues. Not sure anyone is saying it will absolutely crack if you tint. What folks are saying is tinting the glass roof makes it susceptible to cracking. At the end of the day, it's up to you to make an informed decision based on the information you've gathered and your risk tolerance.

I suggest a search of TMC, Reddit, and Tesla forums. This topic has been covered ad nauseum. I also suggest speaking with a handful of reputable window tinters to get additional perspective. Many people have tinted their roof with no issues, while others have had cracking issues. Not sure anyone is saying it will absolutely crack if you tint. What folks are saying is tinting the glass roof makes it susceptible to cracking. At the end of the day, it's up to you to make an informed decision based on the information you've gathered and your risk tolerance.
Like I said I had two cars with it tinted, I feel I have pretty decent first-hand experience with it. While I do remember some talk about this at the time (2018), that was early stage for Model 3s. Both done at the same high-end shop on the west side of LA. Never had any issues, and the cars sat parked in full sun on numerous occasions in SoCal, Vegas (in summer), AZ desert (summer), I feel like if anything would have happened those conditions would have triggered it.

Now, looking at the video posted in this thread, it seems largely like a waste of time, performance-wise.