Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have had my baby for one full month now....and just my luck a rock must have skipped up from the road (My office has some construction going on near it) and now I have a thin (yet long) line on my drivers side door. And just my luck, Tesla doesn't offer my paint color in touch up paint yet....

So my question to some of you is this, Have you Xpel'd (or other product) your car? What was the rough cost and pain of the process? Worth it? Or do I just stick with LOTS of waxing?

Have had my baby for one full month now....and just my luck a rock must have skipped up from the road (My office has some construction going on near it) and now I have a thin (yet long) line on my drivers side door. And just my luck, Tesla doesn't offer my paint color in touch up paint yet....

So my question to some of you is this, Have you Xpel'd (or other product) your car? What was the rough cost and pain of the process? Worth it? Or do I just stick with LOTS of waxing?

@Phoenixhawk101,

What's your Color?

Ski

XPEL protects very well against small rocks and sand as well as swirl marks and scratches. Costs vary, but a whole car is usually 5-6K - you should get a quote.

The only downside of XPEL as far as I can see is when it doesn't protect and you have to do the repair AND replace the XPEL.

I just took a two very small hits on my hood that went right through XPEL and got the paint, which I could live with, except that now the XPEL is discolouring in the impact area and will require me to replace the hood section.

That said, it is a great product, and I would highly recommend it - just be aware that it can "complicate" repairs.

XPEL protects very well against small rocks and sand as well as swirl marks and scratches. Costs vary, but a whole car is usually 5-6K - you should get a quote.

The only downside of XPEL as far as I can see is when it doesn't protect and you have to do the repair AND replace the XPEL.

I just took a two very small hits on my hood that went right through XPEL and got the paint, which I could live with, except that now the XPEL is discolouring in the impact area and will require me to replace the hood section.

That said, it is a great product, and I would highly recommend it - just be aware that it can "complicate" repairs.
Doesn't XPEL have a 10 year replacement warranty?

I think in some circles Suntek is the more recommended option as it's a bit more clear than XPEL. XPEL also results in slightly-increased orange peel finish, not sure about Suntek or 3M. That said, XPEL has saved my paint at least a few times already and I made efforts to ensure that it was put on as early in the car's life as possible (at 9 miles right after delivery). Totally worth it for me since original clear coat preservation is a big deal to me.

I almost went with getting a paint coating on top of it, but ultimately stuck with a durable sealant (Sonax Net Shield) which gets reapplied every 6 months.

Net Shield is about $20 US on Amazon. I just have the detailer do it when I take it in once or twice a year for general maintenance.

I'd think most sealants would work just as well as long as you apply to a clean surface. Duragloss, Meguiar's, and others seem to be fine choices. I've used Duragloss 105 before and it holds up well. The key is when you apply sealants (or if you prefer, waxes which generally don't last as long) that you make sure the surface is clean and prepped so it bonds well for maximum longevity.

Net Shield is about $20 US on Amazon. I just have the detailer do it when I take it in once or twice a year for general maintenance.

I'd think most sealants would work just as well as long as you apply to a clean surface. Duragloss, Meguiar's, and others seem to be fine choices. I've used Duragloss 105 before and it holds up well. The key is when you apply sealants (or if you prefer, waxes which generally don't last as long) that you make sure the surface is clean and prepped so it bonds well for maximum longevity.
Yea, I would wash and clay bar before I put any kind of sealer on.

I was offered a complete Xpel Ultimate shield (incl. 4 seat backs) for 4'540.- CHF (about the same in U$) - but when reading what others payed in the US I have to question if the offer would really cover the whole car +...

I just got my car back from getting some body work done. The guy at the shop I spoke with, was telling me that all the paint protection films were all about the same and were just Mylar. He said that 3M was the best and that most likely Xpel gets there Mylar from 3M. Is this guy full of sugar or have I missed something in all of my reading?