TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Xpell - how much tip

Discussion in 'Model X' started by dutchinchicago, Aug 11, 2016.

1. dutchinchicago

I am picking up my Model X tomorrow from the detailler. I had the entire car wrapped with xpel as well as the seat backs and had a protective opticoat pro layer applied on the top. The bill will be somewhere around 10k. They had the car 4 days to complete all the work. How much tip should I give?

2. NJ Plugin

NJ Plugin Member

When I have had work done like this, I go to a small shop, and deal directly with the business owner or partner who does the work. I have not given a tip. Never even thought about it.

What I have done is always recommend them to anyone who asks about what I have done, or at car shows and the like showing off the car.

• Like x 2
  3. ModelX

ModelX Member

I did not tip for this, but do refer them to others

4. xkwizit

xkwizit Member

I tipped the guy who did the final car wash before delivery but otherwise since I was dealing with the owner I didn't think of tipping. But yeah I guess the workers should get a tip.

5. vandacca

vandacca Active Member

No disrespect, but these guys are making a killing. I don't think they'll need a tip. I didn't tip my guy, mind you he was by far the most expensive quote I've seen.

6. James Anders

James Anders Member

Tip? I tip the guys working for minimum wage at the car wash (for my other cars). But I can't say I've ever tipped for a product/service like this. If there was a situation where a worker (not owner) went out of his/her way then it might be a different matter. I just don't see this as a tipping situation. PS: And I'm generally a very generous tipper too.

7. xkwizit

xkwizit Member

I understand that the shop owners are making a killing but I believe the workers who actually toil on our cars don't get paid that well. I may be wrong.

8. Uncle Paul

Uncle Paul Member

Detailing and wrapping a vehicle is a labor of love, detail, and superb attention to detail. Would feel happy to give the installer an extra $100 dollar bill to show your appreciation, (especially on a $10k job) Not so much as the money, as in appreciation of the fine job done.

9. wallstguy

wallstguy Member

At 10k, you're giving them a big enough tip as it is. Getting a full wrap with seats for $3500 USD! ($4600 CAD!)

10. kort677

kort677 Active Member

why would you feel the need to tip?
    I am sure you were charged enough for the shop to make a sufficient profit.

11. beths11

beths11 THE LONG RANGER

Sufficient profit for the owners if the owner did the work. If the owner has installers, on an hourly wage,(or per installation wage) do the work I am sure they would appreciate a tip. It is skilled work, don't know what an average hourly rate would be.

12. eye.surgeon

eye.surgeon Member

I'm trying to comprehend spending $10k on a protective wrap for a crossover kid-hauler.