TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

X's large windscreen vs S's panoramic roof

Discussion in 'Model X' started by 1208, Sep 2, 2015.

?

X's large windscreen vs S's panoramic roof

1. X's large windscreen

77.4%
  2. S's panoramic roof

22.6%
  1. 1208

1208 Active Member

I know we haven't seen it IRL from the inside but just for fun what do you lot prefer, the X's large windscreen or the S's panoramic roof?

To me the X windscreen seems more futuristic, would make it(and any car for that matter) look bigger inside and would benefit taller people. Having said that the S's panoramic roof looks cool from the outside IRL.

2. Mark Z

Mark Z Active Member

While the new Model X windshield will be a tour-de-force incredible experience, the Model S panoramic roof gives the ability to vent the vehicle by cellular phone app. The pano roof offers an easy escape through the top if needed. Opening the roof is occasionally fun as well. However, my use of the panoramic roof is very low, so it will only be occasionally missed. Venting a hot Model X can take place quickly by opening the Falcon Wing Doors just before leaving the parking spot. In the first few months, I expect a crowd who want to see the doors open. Could this be the new DeLorean like delay before driving?

3. roblab

roblab Active Member

I got to see the X windshield "IRL" at a supercharger. I thought it was WAY COOL. No, make that WAY, WAY COOL. There is nothing like it that I know of.

I bought my pano roof for the view. The X windshield is way cooler. The view out the front windshield just doesn't stop.

Well, I like it. But I like the pano on my S. The X is different.

4. Lyon

Lyon 2016 S P100DL, 2016 X P90D

I'm going to vote pano roof because I like the ability to vent the car remotely on hot days. There may be a solution for the Model X that I'm unaware of. Also, I know it wasn't as if Tesla chose between the Model X's large windscreen and a pano roof; the falcon doors pretty much preclude a system like what's on Model S.

All that said, I'm quite excited about the Model X's awesome windscreen.

5. vandacca

vandacca Active Member

No need to vent on a hot day. The Model-X has ventilated/cooling seats! :) You might also be able to run the internal fans to help too.

6. trils0n

trils0n 2013 P85

I think the pano roof makes the back seat much nicer -- more headroom, and looks awesome from the back seat. Don't really notice the pano much when I'm driving. I think I'd really love the Model X windshield because it would be noticeable to me in the driver seat (very much how I'd want my spaceship to look), and still look cool for passengers.

7. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

My guess is that the X phone app will allow you to slightly open the Falcon Wings and then turn on the HVAC fan enough to vent the car but not enough for even a small child to squeeze into the car.

8. deonb

deonb Active Member

Or it can just open a window...

9. Lyon

Lyon 2016 S P100DL, 2016 X P90D

Yeah, I'm hoping they'll do something like this. It's great to be able to simply let some of the heat out. Many days I park on the top floor of a concrete parking structure and it can get wicked hot inside the car even when it's not too bad outside.

- - - Updated - - -

This would also work.

- - - Updated - - -

Trust me, I'm really looking forward to the ventilated seats. Our Model S is out only car without them and they are sorely missed some days. I would gladly go without heated seats to get ventilated ones.

10. CarlK

CarlK Member

People sit in the back seat of my S all like the pano view but I still only see the head bar in the driver's seat. I think the X windshield is going to be better for me. The pano roof looks cool from outside but the X is way more cool.

11. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker Beta Tester

It reminds me of the Vauxhall Astra windshield from a few years ago.
    big_100472.jpg

12. gizmoboy

gizmoboy Member

#12 gizmoboy, Sep 2, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2015
    +1: Cool for the driver > cool for the passengers.

13. lucy

lucy bluehair

this photo has me super excited!
    can't wait for road trips to beautiful vistas!
    Thanks!

14. scottf200

scottf200 Active Member

But what about the skylights in the Model Xs backseat?

Image: http://i.imgur.com/bsIodS9.png
    bsIodS9.png

15. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

#15 ecarfan, Sep 2, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2015
    Touche. [emoji6]
    I was just envisioning how slightly raising the Falcon Wings would mean creating two gaps in the roof surface and the hot air would tend to rise through those gaps, perhaps more efficiently than it would through the gap of a slightly lowered window.

16. TES-E

TES-E Member

You left out the option for 'Neither'. I have no desire to sit in the Sun... I don't care how tinted it may be.

17. aesculus

aesculus Still Trying to Figure this All Out

At first I thought all the MX just had black roofs but can now see, especially with the images of the FWD's open, that it has these cool tinted skylights.

18. Seesaw

Seesaw Member

I really like the fresh air you can get from a sunroof. But the solution of a crossbar-less front panoramic windscreen took me completely by surprise. What a wonderful driving experience it will be.

19. aplfalcon

aplfalcon Member

I'm a tall guy and I hate having to crane my neck downward to see lights / street signs and cool things when driving. The large windscreen definitely has my vote.

20. Svenssons

Svenssons Member

+1: Big plus on this!